Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto EV compentation in k20d question.

Hello
I got my K20D last week. Upgrading from a k100D.
All I have to say is Wow!!!! I love it.
I was in the custom setting and pLayed whit the auto EV compensation. I see no difference between my shot... I dont understand the purpose of this setting, even after reading the operating manual I find no explanation on how it work (page 73)....

may some one lighten me.
marc.

11-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maybe i'll try - when you shoot for instance at Av Tv etc (every non Manual mode) and you switch auto EV compensation ON - your camera will automatically adjust exposure (shutter, aperture or sensitivity depending on mode you use) if the settings of yours would be out of range real conditions for instance at Av mode you reach 1/4000 and there is still to bright, camera will change decrease aperture (let say against your choose) so you can get good exposured picture...

Last edited by filorp; 11-01-2009 at 04:01 PM.
11-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EV compensation tells the camera you want it to over or under expose the scene it sees through the lens by the number of stops you specify.
You will notice the difference if you shoot the very same scene in the very same lighting with different settings.
It is useful at times when you know the auto metering is consistently under or over exposing a scene because of difficult lighting conditions.
11-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
EV compensation
He's not talking about EV comp., he's talking about Auto EV comp. Auto EV compensation will override your settings if a proper exposure can't be done with said settings so you can have a properly exposed picture. Unfortunately, if you want to voluntarily over/under expose, it will also override that.

11-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
He's not talking about EV comp., he's talking about Auto EV comp. Auto EV compensation will override your settings if a proper exposure can't be done with said settings so you can have a properly exposed picture. Unfortunately, if you want to voluntarily over/under expose, it will also override that.
Thanks for your fast reply.
So If I previously set my EV to +2, and a proper exposure can not be done for the next shot (say there is no hight ligh background the subject for the next shot) the camera will overide the EV compensation from what I did... Or will it overide all compesation I do whenever the correct exposure.
marc.

Last edited by digitaddict; 11-01-2009 at 05:11 PM.
11-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My bad Yves.
One word makes all the difference.
It's explained well in this thread...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/20799-auto-ev-compensation.html
Basically, the camera will decide that your settings are inappropriate for the scene and overrides your request to get a correct exposure...
11-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, if you need or want that type of "help" with exposure I guess it could be helpful. I turn "auto" anything off and adjust exposure, etc as necessary.

gl