Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

T1i vs K-x ??

Anyone have any input?

Looking at this deal..

http:///?u2=http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...E7CNDRT1IK1855

The only thing I see with the T1i is that it can do 1080p and is 15 MP vs 12..

Am I missing something else??

11-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It does 1080p but what they forget to tell you is it's not full 1080p because it's not at 24FPS. Very misleading, I know. 20FPS is pretty much useless unless you like choppy videos. It's only consistent at 720p and that's where it's useable because the human eye can start to see movies smoothly at 24FPS. The 1080p thing is probably just to draw people into the camera thinking it's "better" when it's technically worse than it's own capability to record in 720p.

Although the t1i has more megapixels, the K-x's 12mp will take better high ISO image quality. Megapixels are just a gimmick to draw newer people into the camera, it's only useable for cropping and does not improve in image quality. Canon's entry-level lines are a joke, especially their lenses which are made out of recycled plastic. The K-x will feel a lot more durable and more quality with better useable features for the entry-level newbie, including more quality APS-C lenses and support.
11-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
It does 1080p but what they forget to tell you is it's not full 1080p because it's not at 24FPS. Very misleading, I know. 20FPS is pretty much useless unless you like choppy videos. It's only consistent at 720p and that's where it's useable because the human eye can start to see movies smoothly at 24FPS. The 1080p thing is probably just to draw people into the camera thinking it's "better" when it's technically worse than it's own capability to record in 720p.

Although the t1i has more megapixels, the K-x's 12mp will take better high ISO image quality. Megapixels are just a gimmick to draw newer people into the camera, it's only useable for cropping and does not improve in image quality.
So I made the right choice going with the KX for cheaper?
11-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There is no other DSLR that is cheaper than the K-x that can record HD video, and there are no other entry-level DSLR in it's price-range that can match it's high ISO noise IQ. The a500 was tested against the Sony a700 and a900 for high ISO noise levels and it makes the a500 look like a full frame, the K-x is rumored to boast the same sensor as the a500. The K-x gives superb and impressive high ISO image quality that we've never seen in any other entry-level DSLR until today. It's a huge improvement and it rivals even cameras that cost twice as much.

11-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
There is no other DSLR that is cheaper than the K-x that can record HD video, and there are no other entry-level DSLR in it's price-range that can match it's high ISO noise IQ. The a500 was tested against the Sony a700 and a900 for high ISO noise levels and it makes the a500 look like a full frame, the K-x is rumored to boast the same sensor as the a500. The K-x gives superb and impressive high ISO image quality that we've never seen in any other entry-level DSLR until today. It's a huge improvement and it rivals even cameras that cost twice as much.
Thanks for your input, I'm still new, so the ISO thing doesn't mean much to me. I've only owned Pentax products but when I see a good deal I have to ask
11-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

From you other thread it appears youve already ordered - I dont think the Kx is too good to be true at all, its the real deal - any apprehension you have now will disapear once you get your new toy, er, photographic tool!
11-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
From you other thread it appears youve already ordered - I dont think the Kx is too good to be true at all, its the real deal - any apprehension you have now will disapear once you get your new toy, er, photographic tool!
Yeah I have ordered already, but I have the option to cancel up until tomorrow AM
11-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

some T1i features worth noting

it must however be noted that the T1i does have it's plusses.

3" 920k screen is very nice
AF selection point is displayed on screen - for those who MUST have this feature
HDMI output
bigger buffer
faster flash sync 1/200

but i guess the minusses outweigh the plusses

No SR
No in-body AF motor
3.4 FPS vs 4.7 for Kx
body costs more
stabilized lenses costs more

edit:

as of today, T1i body is $650 D5000 is $601 so this is in the K-x's territory now.
of course, still no in-body AF motor nor SR

Last edited by opiedog; 11-02-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added new pricing
11-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yea, I could care less about the AF selection, and the HDMI, and the 3 inch screen.

The faster flash sync and bigger buffer are pluses to me.

What is SR?
11-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax's Shake Reduction, which is in the camera body, versus Canon's lens-based Image Stabilization.

In-body is usually understood to be less effective (since it has to work with every length of lens, and can't compensate for zooms with their variable focal length), but is less expensive in the long run if you build up a collection of glass.

I shoot Canon bodies and I can attest to their 4-stops on some lenses, but I also would love a 50mm f/1.4 that had IS/SR for ultimate low-light usage.
11-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you've never used a dSLR before, then either one will do. You won't even know what features you are missing until you need them (i.e. you become better than the camera). Before that time comes, most people get the itch to get something newer anyway.
11-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J3ff Quote
Yea, I could care less about the AF selection, and the HDMI, and the 3 inch screen.

The faster flash sync and bigger buffer are pluses to me.

What is SR?
Flash sync is 1/180 vs 1/200, not a huge difference

Also, while the K-x has a smaller buffer, it has faster fps. For me (I shoot everything, including sports), I prefer faster fps to larger buffer - when a critical event is happening, I burst while it happens which usually is not very long, otherwise, I time shots.

When you get the K-x, compare it to the T1i which you can probably find in stores with demo units. Personally, the T1i's grip is too thin/small and does not feel comfortable when using a larger lens.
11-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
In-body is usually understood to be less effective (since it has to work with every length of lens, and can't compensate for zooms with their variable focal length), but is less expensive in the long run if you build up a collection of glass.
In body stabilisation works fine with any zoom that can report its current focal length to the body, i.e. any autofocus zoom. No Canon lens so old as to lack this ability would have any kind of stabilisation anyway, so you are still better off with Pentax.

While it may be true that in-lens stabilisation out-performs in body stabilisation of the same generation (although I am not aware of a conclusive demonstation of this), you can upgrade your in body stabilisation to the latest version just by changing your body, whereas to get the same benefit chez canon you need to replace all your lenses (assuming updated versions exist).

Finally, many lenses are simply not available with shake reduction, so there is no comparison to be made. In body SR works with all lenses, of any make, no matter how old.

Last edited by sparkston; 11-02-2009 at 09:49 AM.
11-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that for really long lenses, it would make sense that in lens stabilization would work better, but I haven't seen any specific tests that show one is a lot better than the other. A lot depends on how shaky or steady your hands are. Some people don't need SR at all. All I can say is that I see a big difference in the sharpness of photos from when it is on and when it isn't -- about three stops difference for me.