No strap you have a death grip from hell 507.97%
You rotate it neck, wrist, hell grip, what ever!!!!!!! 15925.36%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks distudio,
I'll have a look at the Tamrac stuff and others. Looking at my photo it looks like I get most damage from the edges of the strap cutting/abrasing the skin.

12-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i keep the strap on the camera as a nifty little support for low light shooting:

Wrap the strap around your right elbow and apply pressure by pushing up, elbow tucked in (you'll have to extend it to suit obviously). Use the free hand as you would normally by supporting the lens. Great way to elimanate camera shake where SR alone can be hit and miss.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 12-31-2009 at 11:08 AM.
12-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Strapon...
01-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #139
Inactive Account

It puts the strap around its neck.
It does this when it's told.
It puts the strap around its neck,
Or else it gets the hose.

Golden rule of touching my cameras, that.

01-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good bits of advice re the strap on, did a little mod on my kit neck strap and turned it into a wrist strap. Strap goes on every time I pick it up (especially on the monopod).
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was using an Optex wrist strap on my K100DS and then on my K-x. This morning I lifted the camera up and the wrist strap came apart (mono filament pulled out). Fortunately the camera didnt't fall, but I want a refund, the strap was only a couple of months old. Not recommended.

01-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #142

Photos: Albums
I always use the strap. We invest too much in this hobby to lose a few hundred dollars to a slip, bump, or grab IMHO.

01-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #143

Always around neck and across chest, sitting on the hip on my left side ... getting a strap long enough is always an issue ... I like to nestle the camera just where I can rest my arm and elbow against it to steady it when I'm moving if necessary.
I tend to use mostly a "Strap To It" cloth strap picked up in a pharmacy years ago.
Luckily the quick-release buckles are almost compatible with the Optech ones ...
just a slight carving with a knife makes them work.
I buy an Optech for every body, and use the Optech strap around the neck if I briefly use two bodies. I've been thinking of getting a Tamrac N-45 ... it also seems compatible buckle wise and is long enough.
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #144
Veteran Member

strap off camera mounted on copy stand, otherwise strap on wrapped around neck or wrist or tripod.
01-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #145

Always on

Since I worked in a photo store and recieved 1000s of cameras that had made a touchdown on the ground. So my strap is on but almost never around the neck just around the wrist hanging loose. When using my 150-500 the strap on the lens is around my wrist or on my shoulder for carrying.
01-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always do, either around my neck, or more commonly 3 times around my wrist.

the need wsa confirmed this summer when I watched another tourist's camera hit the deck of a boat, and then promptly go over the side. only a P&S but still, I am smart enough to see something bad happen and learn from it. I don't need to feel the pain myself
01-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #147
Forum Member

I usually just sling the camera over my right shoulder when resting or walking. It's quite rare for me to use the strap around the neck.
01-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #148

I use a partly-self-made hand strap. I really like it for the secure grip, but most of all because it sits so I don't feel the weight of the camera.
It's a bit difficult to explain but you should be able to see on the fourth picture how the strap makes my hand "lock into position" around the camera. I can carry it for hours like this.

It slides to the side for battery access, and has a tripod mount for easy fitting.

The original piece is HAMA ( see link below)...it will "hand lock" as original; I only improved it for optimal comfort. I can carry my camera for hours with this.
Hama Pro Hand Loop - Best Price at Bristol Cameras
01-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richardd Quote
Always around neck and across chest, sitting on the hip on my left side ... getting a strap long enough is always an issue ... I like to nestle the camera just where I can rest my arm and elbow against it to steady it when I'm moving if necessary.
I tend to use mostly a "Strap To It" cloth strap picked up in a pharmacy years ago.
Luckily the quick-release buckles are almost compatible with the Optech ones ...
just a slight carving with a knife makes them work.
I buy an Optech for every body, and use the Optech strap around the neck if I briefly use two bodies. I've been thinking of getting a Tamrac N-45 ... it also seems compatible buckle wise and is long enough.
If you have trouble finding straps long enough, you may like the CarrySafe 100: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/67324-new-strap.html
01-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Any idea how it attaches to the camera? My biggest beef is that the neck strap is horrible to attach and detach and the wrist strap is at least as bad. I'd like to be able to switch carrying systems more easily.
Hi audiobomber,

I use Camdapter bases and grip straps, but will temporarily attach a neckstrap if I need to use both hands. I've attached swivel clips at the ends of the neckstrap and a triangular split ring on the left side strap attachment point. I can attach both ends of the neckstrap to the ring, and the camera hangs left side up.

Before anyone objects that this would be awkward, realize that I only use this to free both of my hands without putting the camera down and leaving it unsecure. If I'm shooting, the camera is in my hand, with the Camdapter grip.

If you want to be able to use the neckstrap with the camera hanging normally, you need to install another split ring along with the grip strap on the right strap notch, then you can attach one of the clips without having to take the grip strap off.

I've attached a couple of quick shots to illustrate one of the clips I use and the split ring on the left side.

Scott
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo