Use strap around the wrist 11818.82%
No strap you have a death grip from hell 507.97%
You rotate it neck, wrist, hell grip, what ever!!!!!!! 15925.36%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I have my strap on my camera at all times, I always make sure it's tight around my neck or around my hand at all times, it's too risky to let it go dangling loose. I'm very paranoid for my camera gear anyways so that's just me. But they do sell those Pentax hand grip straps on the Pentax web store that looks pretty hand for those who don't want to use a strap.
By the way, I love your avater, can you make a K-7 version?
I am possibly the rare exception. I only use wrist strap for both K20D & K100D one of which is always in my slingbag 200. I am a prime shooter and putting one in bag and yanking another one out of my bag is easy.
That is also the reason I will never have a long 300mm lens as my A300mm is only 5" short

Daniel, Toronto

11-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use double strap.
I hooked a wrist strap on the camera together with the neck strap.
When I'm walking around with nothing obvious to take a pic of, I use neck strap.
I also use it when changing lenses.
If there is a lot of "work" to do, then I change to the wrist strap and let the neck strap hang loose.
11-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rarely Used

I leave the strap on the camera but to be honest I rarely use it. I have a sling type camera bag so it is right at my chest when I pull my camera out. If it is just one shot that is where the bag stays so if the camera fell, it would fall into the case. There were a few times that I closed the case and kept the camera out; in those situations I did use the strap around my neck. I really ought to replace that strap before it causes some serious neck pain.
12-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a wrist grip and a shoulder strap attached to my K-10. It's definitely comfortable to walk around with the hand strap on.
It's one of these type of straps:
Amazon.com: Camera Hand Strap For the Canon Powershot SX10 IS, SX1 IS, G10 & G9 Digital Cameras: Electronics

But I find the shoulder strap necessary, too. Yeah, it's a little bulk with both straps but the flexibility and comfort of switching between shoulder and hand makes it worthwhile.

12-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #95

My strap mostly lean on my shoulder.
Once in a while I have it on my neck but I find it uncomfortable.

I would like one day to get the double strap.

On the K20D, I tend to see wear on the strap at the camera attachment.
It would have been beter with a ring/eye attachment, I think.

Niklas
12-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #96
Veteran Member

I usually twist my neck strap around my wrist twice with a cross under - cross over like method. I purposely install my strap twisted twice so after twisting it around my wrist, it actually falls flat between my hand and the body; this way I don't have the annoying feeling of something twisted between my hand and the camera. Held this way, I can let go the camera, which falls only a couple of inches if my hand gets tired. I usually carry the camera with a few fingers only. This is extremely sturdy, and once twisted and holding the camera to shoot, it creates a solid core assembly that is tight linking my arm to the camera and creating a more stable way of holding the camera. This is a very comfortable and extremely safe way of carrying the camera that has the advantage of providing fast action and added stability.
12-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #97
Veteran Member

I use the neck strap as a wrist strap almost always. It's an after market strap, thicker than the Pentax one and plain black. The only reason I haven't changed to a hand/wrist strap is that I like to do the old over-the-shoulder sling often. When my 70-210/2.8 is attached, the added bonus of the sling method is I can hook the tripod collar mount onto my belt just behind my hip - a great help when wandering around for extended periods with it.

12-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #98
Veteran Member

What make is that 70-210/f2.8 lens?
12-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #99

Hi,

Almost a year ago i have discovered a kind of dorsal strap with crossing belts, and since then, i'm no longer using a neck strap (the weight of the camera is spread across the back as if it were a dorsal bag) ...

Cheers
12-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I took the strap off both my Pentax cameras, my old Sony F717, and most other cameras I've owned in the past decade. I do use a hand grip strap during long shoots (i.e. weddings) but otherwise, I go commando all the way

Although the strap affords a certain degree of safety for normal use, when I'm hustling during a shoot it always seemed to either get tangled in my external flash or somehow find its way around the front of the lens or in my way of focusing/zooming.

I'd rather Pentax nix the branded strap and include a Pentax logo jacket instead.
12-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
What make is that 70-210/f2.8 lens?
It's a Sigma, fully MF (separate zoom and focus rings). Pics of it (and with it) are in a thread I posted when looking to buy it, the thread's here.

It seems to be pretty uncommon - I couldn't find decent info on it anywhere.

Last edited by LensScribe; 12-04-2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Typo
12-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Well, I voted around the neck, but in reality, I actually use the strap by hanging the camera off my shoulder when I'm out. I will hang the camera on my neck once in a while, but it's primarily there as a 'shoulder strap'.
12-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #103

Photos: Albums
I know someone who dropped their camera off Mt. Snowdon in Wales. It was a misty day, he fumbled the camera and off it went, tumbling down the slope, lost in the mist within seconds. He now uses a strap and the camera is also permanently attached to him via a chord attached to his belt loop.
12-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #104

Wrist strap for me!
12-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #105

I have my neck strap wrapped around my wrist... plus the death grip. i really hate something around my neck and i havent really looked into getting a wrist strap but they seem alright. i would just hate for my hand to get all sweaty.