Use strap around the wrist 11818.82%
No strap you have a death grip from hell 507.97%
You rotate it neck, wrist, hell grip, what ever!!!!!!! 15925.36%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A friend told me that he didn't have a strap on his camera the first few days he had it, and dropped it off of a pier into the water. Said he never found it. So, I double up the neck strap around my wrist and pull semi-tight. It's got nowhere to fall if you drop it. Plus, if someone attempts to grab it and run, they cannot.

12-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Dropping a new camera off the pier would definitely raise my pucker factor.
12-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #108
Forum Member

I don't use a neck strap. I held my K10D and now my K-x in my hand when it isn't in my waist bag, but always use a loose wrist strap just in case. I put my hand through the loop of the strap before I pull the camera out of the bag. I haven't let go in 3 years, but I don't want to risk it.
12-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #109
Forum Member

Like the strap on for security. (1)When walking in crowds I always have the fear that someone is going to snatch the camera from my hand so I take a turn around my wrist with the strap and hold the camera in hand. (2) when changing lens I like the camera around my neck so that I can use both hands for changing lens/lens caps etc.

12-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #110

Photos: Albums
The strap just always seems to get in the way. My LowePro Rezo pouch is pretty quick to open or I will often just leave the top un-zippered so I can just lift the cover and pull the camera out. This way the camera is either safe in the pouch or firmly in my hands for taking the pics.
12-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I usually wrap the neck strap around my wrist, I've often thought of getting a wrist strap. This thread caused me to investigate, and the nice Pentax leather item looks primo, as it appears that you have complete access to all your digits for a natural grip. Ordered one through Amazon...
12-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #112
axl
Veteran Member

I don't use it as neck strap, frankly I find K10D + grip + lens too uncomfortable to have around neck. I have hand grip and it's mount has one lug at the bottom plate, so from this one and the remaining empty lug on camera I have mounted the "neck" strap. Usually I have it on my shoulder. When actually shooting, it's wrapped around my wrist while I'm holding the bulk via the hand strap.

BR
Peter

12-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #113

I never could get on with a neck strap. I've used a Hama hand strap for a bunch of years, but recently bought a Camdapter Hand Strap with the optional Manfrotto QR baseplate.
12-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #114

I've tried a few different neck straps and gave up. They are all horrible. I use Optech wrist strap now, it works, maybe I'll invest in something better, like Camdapter.
12-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
As I usually wrap the neck strap around my wrist, I've often thought of getting a wrist strap. This thread caused me to investigate, and the nice Pentax leather item looks primo, as it appears that you have complete access to all your digits for a natural grip. Ordered one through Amazon...
Any idea how it attaches to the camera? My biggest beef is that the neck strap is horrible to attach and detach and the wrist strap is at least as bad. I'd like to be able to switch carrying systems more easily.
12-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ixian Quote
I've tried a few different neck straps and gave up. They are all horrible. I use Optech wrist strap now, it works, maybe I'll invest in something better, like Camdapter.
Is the Optech one you have the kind which is like most others, or is it the kind that's basically tethered to a band on your wrist?

I've considered both that latter and the Camdapter type (Any Arca plate that'll let me attach a 'grip-strap' to it will do, ) but I deferred the decision once I got comfy with my ability to hang onto my K20d in the usual way. But, now I've actually got a lens that weighs something fairly substantial and the first chill of winter down here is kicking my arthritic ....joints, so I'm reconsidering a bit of insurance. I was curious how the wrist-tethers work out in practice.

(Come to think of it, Optech has kind of a strange-looking grip strap which I can't quite figure out from the little thumbnails, and which I've therefore been considering 'ruled out.' Anyone know what's up with those? I like the company, but I can't tell if those things are 'very clever' or just 'over-cooked.' )
12-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Any idea how it attaches to the camera? My biggest beef is that the neck strap is horrible to attach and detach and the wrist strap is at least as bad. I'd like to be able to switch carrying systems more easily.
Well, this isn't tremendously-easy, unless someone has a system that will use the same attachment links that will do that. Usually you want what's close to your hand to be as simple as possible.

I've got my own ideas about how to have both a conventional strap and a wrist strap of some kind on there at the same time, though. If you have a strap that has links with plastic buckles, you could remove the strap from those, if you do this and don't mind the links that attach to the camera flying around, though: basically this involves a 'loop' link to go with the Optech straps I have, (Or something similar I'd make myself.) alongside a conventional strap like comes on the usual assortment of wrist straps.

If that's a helpful idea.

12-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #118

When I was shooting weddings back in the old days of film, I used a good wrist strap that screwed into the tripod socket. Camers was always at the ready, even more so than using a strap.
12-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #119
Forum Member

Did a search through this thread. Didn't come up with any hits. Any one familiar with the "sun-sniper" strap? I was reading up on the strobist site and clicked on the adver on the side. looks pretty neat and it has a version with a steel cable running through it to prevent cutting from snatchers.

I normally carry packs sling across my chest. I find most around the neck straps too short. the "sniper" position defaults accross chest.

thanks
12-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #120

Can anyone suggest a good brand of wrist strap?
Preferably one that cinches fairly tight around the wrist.

I used to wrap the neck strap around my wrist, but I've had a few too many close calls that way...