Use strap around the wrist 11818.82%
No strap you have a death grip from hell 507.97%
You rotate it neck, wrist, hell grip, what ever!!!!!!! 15925.36%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
pbo
Veteran Member

I'm keeping a shoulder strap on the K-x because it's too freaking small to hold with confidence without any other support. The first time I lifted the camera, I almost dropped it - switched from K20D, and never expected a DSLR could be that small and light...

11-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always have the strap attached, but don't always use it. I do have it around my neck in any situations that seem risky, and I often have it around my nevck when changing lenses, as it free a hand. I use it as a wrist strap at other times.
11-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #18

Original Poster
seems like everyone is using there strap....... I've yet to have a close call with my camera so well see what happens maybe i'll change my mind
11-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #19
Dom

If your doing a full day of shooting, you'll soon relies that the strap is accentual.

11-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I couldn't respond to the poll because I use both. My K20D has the Pentax neck stap attached. With the K100DS I use this wrist strap Amazon.com: Op/Tech SLR Wrist Strap, 11" Long, Black: Camera & Photo. I bought mine at Henry's. It''s very comfortable and looks better on the camera than a thin p&s style strap.

The K100DS is light and has a grip that I can hang onto very easily. The wrist strap protects it from an accidental fall. If I need two hands for a moment, I usually just let the camera hang from the strap. I don't use a wrist strap with the K20 because it's heavier and the front wheel interferes with my grip. A wrist strap on the second camera would be awkward when carrying both; better to hang the heavier load around my neck.

PS I don't want to leave the impression that I prefer the grip on the smaller camera. When holding the camera in shooting position, the K20D allows me to balance the camera & lens with all my fingers, which is far more comfortable than the K100 grip where my baby finger can't grip. But when carrying the camera sideways as I do with a wrist strap, the situation is reversed, the K100DS is more comfortable to hold.
11-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always use my strap.
On the neck, shoulder or sometimes wrapped around my hand/wrist.
Feel that it's good to have hanging around the neck for changing lenses, or other two-handed stuff that I may have to deal with.
11-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always wear a strap around my neck, my wife taught me well. Neither of us EVER dropped a camera and we've met many people who have.

Bad excuses heard for people not having cameras: I wear a strap but I loaned it to my spouse who took the strap off. It wasn't that I dropped it, it was this guy who knocked it out of my hand.

Once in awhile now I change, "straps." If I'm going to be out for several hours I switch to a harness. I took a K100D/Tamron 18-200 with Pentax strap on a trip to D.C. and had some upper back ache. A harness from a Birder store solved that. Call it a, "double strap." I may look dorky with the, "Fat Robin" logo on my harness but I'm comfortable.

11-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #23

The only one of my four Pentax DSLRs that didn't have a strap attached is now dead!

On a trip to save weight I carried one of my K10Ds in a lightweight case without its strap. As I was quickly retrieving it for a shot, it slipped out of my hand and fell three feet onto a sidewalk, breaking the camera and lens - an $800 mishap.

The replacement K20D has its strap firmly in place!

Mike
11-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Neck Strap 100% of the time.

My daughter (7yrs old) always wants to take pictures now, and #1 rule, is that she is allowed to use the camera as long as she has the strap around her neck, no strap, no use.

So how can I tell her that rule if I don't follow it right in front of her... besides, I'm paranoid of one small slip and bang on a hard concrete/asphalt/ceramic covered ground.
11-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #25

I made a custom shoulder strap from a wide guitar strap (DiMarzio) attached to tripod socket so it's quick releaseable. So strap on - strap off is very easy for me. Also shoulderstrap is more comfortable to carry as camera doesn't bounce up and down on your chest

And I'm loving it!

-J
11-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I keep the strap on both cameras, but usually when it's around my neck it's being carried like a slingpack with the camera resting on my side between my arm and beer gut. If I try to carry it normal and bend over to pick up one of the kids, they usually get hit in the face with it . That's when my name changes from "Best Friend Daddy" to "Mean Daddy".
11-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I used to wrap the strap around my hand and or wrist. Now as I'm older and prone to dropping things I keep my neckstrap around my neck at all times, unless I'm taking a low to the ground shot, then I two hand it.
11-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Old strap

I use an old neck strap off of my Canon AE-1 that I had for many years. it is perfect for me. Has quick release clasps, for use with the tripod, hangs just right so that when walking I can sling the camera to my hip or butt and is thus out of the way of my arm swing. This latter is nice when the DA 35 is mounted as that lens cover just wants to fly off! The strap is made of nylon webbing and must have a long life span.

The original strap was way too short and thus the camera would bounce on my belly as I walked. Not so good.

Don
11-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use mine either around the wrist (several times) or over the shoulder, or around th eneck when doing something that could lead to a serious drop the standard straps are too short to go over head and shoulder.

I always make sure it is around something, and for a reminder, I watched on holdiays this year a child with a P&S on a boat, unfortunately for the parrents the memory chip with the vacation photos is also now at the bottom of the atlantic.
11-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Usually on hte neck, but if not then I have it looped around the wrist. Only time the strap is not in use is when the tripod's on duty, and even then I have been known to keep a loop around the wrist... I've also used the strap around the wrist when using the monopod and holding the camera out over the edge of a cliff as far as I could reach. VERY rarely do I not use the strap at all...

I am paranoid about using a shoulder strap too, much happier when it's around hte neck. Something to do with my old K1000 taking a short flight from my shoulder to the tarmac at McChord AFB many years ago. Flight was from the *top* of the stairs exiting a C-130, so maybe 12-15 ft up? Thank $DEITY it was a K1000 - total damage was a scrape on the casing and the film-counter cover popped off (went right back on). Lens and mechanics were just fine and took many more pictures - but I will always use a strap!

Jim