No strap you have a death grip from hell 507.97%
You rotate it neck, wrist, hell grip, what ever!!!!!!! 15925.36%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
The quick release on my tripod wasn't set quite right, and as I stepped back from the camera it tipped off the tripod, heading toward the concrete. Fortunately, the strap got caught on the tripod head, and my K10D ended up swinging safely back and forth about 2 feet away from impact. I leave the neck strap on.
Whenever I put my cameras on the tripod with plans to step back I wrap the strap around the handles (my #1 tripod has a tilt shift head) just in case that happens.
I've never had the camera fall off the tripod, however it's been close more times than I care to think.

11-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tend to use a 'triangle' sort of method, (between two bodies: the first usually rides between being shoulder-slung and with the strap around my wrist: when the second one comes out of the bag, one goes around the neck, then often the other goes back in the bag, ) ...when the medium format is in play, that usually goes around the neck, just cause it fits better that way than trying to sling it. I may try adding a grip strap to my K20d, depending how it feels with a bigger lens on there, (I've finally broken down and gotten something of a reasonably-fast zoom on order: the little primes I use have been comfy without. )
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #33

I have a modified strap that I've made. I combined an older wide Pentax strap that I got from an ebay ME Super and another after market strap. This gives me the greater lenght I need to use it over my neck and across the body so it will hang comfortably at my side when not in use and still be able to bring it up to my eye quickly and easily.
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Actually...

I like to use just a wrist strap, but haven't put one on the k7 yet.

11-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I always have straps on my cameras, but I rarely put them around my neck. When I'm walking, I put the strap over my shoulder and hold the front half of the strap. Holding it that way puts a little extra down-force on the strap and helps keep it from sliding off. If my camera is on a tripod, I always make a point of grabbing part of the strap along with a tripod leg whenever I get ready to move to another location.
11-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When they invent a camara that bounces I'll stop using a strap.
11-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #37

I use a hand strap.

I had a neck strap on my last P&S- walked out of the house one morning holding the camera in my hand and hooked the strap on the doorknob- it yanked the camera out of my hand- swung back and hit the door, then slipped off the knob and hit the deck. Cracked the body. :-( I epoxied it back together, and it is still functional, but I don't trust it to stay that way. I guess it did give me an excuse to go DSLR though. ;-)

11-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I use my Pacsafe strap around my shoulder and neck. I store it on my lower back as I walk around and then swing it into position when shooting. It also has spring loaded clasps that I can take it off the camera in seconds if it gets in the way.
11-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

PERFECT PROTECTION

COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE

When one carries a camera like this young lady in Tokyo, it ceases being a preventative measure against dropping the camera and turns into an insidious device waiting for a chance to snag on something and forcefully snatch the camera out of your hand and send it crashing to the pavement.

What I use instead is a simple wrist loop that attaches to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera. Simple, cheap, reliable, flexible, fits in my pocket when not in use, and is easily portable from camera to camera.
11-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I generally wrap it twice around my right wrist except when I need both hands free.
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I didn't vote. I use grip straps, mostly with Camdapter bases, but I have a few other variations. If I anticipate that I'll need two hands during a period of time, or if I am going to carry more than one body, I use a Cotton Carrier with the additional holster. I never use neck straps anymore since getting the CC.

Scott
11-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Their. THEIR THEIR THEIR THEIR THEIR.

OK, now that that's out of the way... I recommend the Blackrapids R-strap. Keeps the camera out of the way when you don't want to bother with it, and it's always easily accessible with no risk of dropping if you fumble it.
11-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I'm strapped for cash, so I strap my K-7

Who wanted the K-7 for an avatar?
(done with Xara Xtreme )
Attachment 46312

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-21-2013 at 10:29 PM.
11-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #44

I always keep the next strap on my camera, but 90% of the time I have it looped around my wrist.

I'm thinking about switching and getting a wrist strap instead when I get my K-7, but I don't know any brands or what to look for... Anybody have suggestions for wrist straps I could look into?
11-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

PERFECT PROTECTION

COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE

When one carries a camera like this young lady in Tokyo, it ceases being a preventative measure against dropping the camera and turns into an insidious device waiting for a chance to snag on something and forcefully snatch the camera out of your hand and send it crashing to the pavement.

What I use instead is a simple wrist loop that attaches to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera. Simple, cheap, reliable, flexible, fits in my pocket when not in use, and is easily portable from camera to camera.
okay so I went out shooting today and realized what everyone is talking about sometimes you just don't feel safe in some situations. where can you find a wrist band like you have?