View Poll Results: What do you do with your neck strap
Use strap around the neck 30047.85%
Use strap around the wrist 11818.82%
No strap you have a death grip from hell 507.97%
You rotate it neck, wrist, hell grip, what ever!!!!!!! 15925.36%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #61

Strapless here, suprisingly to me i'm in the minority. Cant stand a strap on the K7 cos, as cool as they look, the little eyelets are in the wrong place and get in the way too much. Thankfully the grip itself feels glued to my hand.

11-25-2009, 03:33 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strapless as well, I've had many scary moments where my strap has got caught on door handles, corners of tables etc and nearly yanked the camera outof my hand. My cat also loves grabbing any dangling straps etc and has nearly had my camera on the floor a few times now...

I keep my camera tucked away in my little Crumpler Muffin Top if I'm out and about, I don't feel the need to advertise my camera and it provides a bit more protection from knocks and the elements.

Carl
11-25-2009, 03:40 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CReid Quote
Strapless as well, I've had many scary moments where my strap has got caught on door handles, corners of tables etc and nearly yanked the camera outof my hand. My cat also loves grabbing any dangling straps etc and has nearly had my camera on the floor a few times now...

Carl

I know what you mean. My girlfriend wears strapless tops for the same reason. Her straps have gotten caught on door handles, corners of tables, etc. My cat also loves grabbing any dangling straps, and has nearly had her on the floor a few times now.
11-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a grip strap like this one. It gets the job done and is a helluva lot safer than wrapping the neck strap around my wrist.

11-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tenpointnine Quote
I've been using a hand strap for a few years, and I've just ordered a replacement from Camdapter.
I use the leather Camdapter as well. My neckstrap is the free one I got from SmugMug which is amazingly comfy. I did also buy a great padded neck strap by National Geographic. for when I have some heavier lenses when hiking around. Plus it matches my NattyG backpack... come-oooon, who does not love good old NattyG?

I would add that to make it easier to get at the front dial I keep my hand strap on the loose side. And that another reason I use the hand strap is to improve stability in my hand. It's my RA that causes my hands to hurt and become unsteady when holding/squeezing anything it's not the weight but rather just the act of gripping that hurts and can lead to my dropping items, even something as simple as a pencil/pen.
11-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Seriously, though, I use Domke Gripper straps. Simple canvas styling in natural, black, or navy blue available in two widths (1" & 1 1/2"), with or without swivel hardware, that matches my canvas Domke bag & personality, & rubber traintrack gripping on underside for a slip free ride..... About $20.

Last edited by raymeedc; 11-25-2009 at 01:48 PM.
11-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #67
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I have the strap on the camera but only on the (looking at the rear) left side mount. That way it's not in the way for portraits and I have the strap on a clip to take it off when it's in the way. But since I carry 2 cameras a lot, I need a strap to throw one over the shoulder.

11-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Has anyone found an easy way to attach and detach the Pentax neck strap? I would use a hand strap or wrist strap some of the time, but getting the Pentax strap off the camera and remounting it takes fifteen minutes.

I tried some using hardware store clips but they're all too thick and they bind in the camera lug. I'm also afraid they'll scratch the camera body.
11-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #69
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Look at my photo above. You can add a ring on the grip side lug and use a clip there. The other side is too recessed to get one on.
11-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Look at my photo above. You can add a ring on the grip side lug and use a clip there. The other side is too recessed to get one on.
Thanks Peter, I'll give it a try. My wife complains that I use the horizontal orientation too much, maybe this will encourage me to mix it up.
11-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Thanks Peter, I'll give it a try. My wife complains that I use the horizontal orientation too much, maybe this will encourage me to mix it up.
Actually I find the handstrap makes me more reluctant to switch to portrait orientation and I have to take my hand out of the strap or it feels awkward. could be the reduced flexibility I have in my hands these days...I dunno.
11-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Actually I find the handstrap makes me more reluctant to switch to portrait orientation and I have to take my hand out of the strap or it feels awkward. could be the reduced flexibility I have in my hands these days...I dunno.
I could see that. I use a DSLR sized wrist strap.
11-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #73
Forum Member

I use a tamrac detachable strap, like this one:
N2501 Tamrac N-25 - Shock Absorber, Neoprene Camera Strap-Quick Release - Black

it allows me to comforably hang camera from my neck, wrap around my wrist or detach when i dont need it.
11-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I could see that. I use a DSLR sized wrist strap.
How do you like the wrist strap? Which do you use? I have considered one now and again. I sort of like the idea it could actually provide some wrist strain relief as well as helping to hold the camera.

I wish I had my camera strapped up but I just took them off because I am doing a lot of tripod product stuff the next few weeks. But basically with the Camdapter it comes with a bottom plate which screws into the mounting hole and has a lug to attach the bottom strap of the camdapter hand strap. Then I put the top strap of the hand strap "inline" with the strap for the neck strap. I can then adjust each independent of the other in a few seconds. Works pretty well, but at first I was sorta baffled at, what the heck do I do now if I want to use them both...took a bit but I figured something that works for me.
11-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
How do you like the wrist strap? Which do you use? I have considered one now and again. I sort of like the idea it could actually provide some wrist strain relief as well as helping to hold the camera.
I bought the Optex Neoprene Wrist Strap. I like it a great deal on the K100DS. I find the K20 a bit too heavy for a wrist strap. The extra little piece tethered to it is for cleaning your LCD screen. I took it off. Fairview photo lab

I like a wrist strap because it rarely gets in the way and I can usually let it hang from my wrist when I need both hands.