View Poll Results: What do you do with your neck strap
Use strap around the neck 30047.85%
Use strap around the wrist 11818.82%
No strap you have a death grip from hell 507.97%
You rotate it neck, wrist, hell grip, what ever!!!!!!! 15925.36%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #76

I totally agree. A K20 with a battery grip and long lens can be taxing on your wrist, so I keep the neck strap on. I'm planning on getting one of those wider straps made out of neoprene for comfort. Any recommendations?

11-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using the neck strap, but am about do something different. The K10D is always swinging into things at just the wrong time. I know I should be more aware of my movements, but sometimes I forget. A few weeks ago I leaned over to get a lens out of the bag and barked the prism housing of my formerly pristine KX with the K10D's tripod QR plate. Ouch! So much for paying extra for a scratch-free body! That would not have happened with a wrist strap.

Steve
11-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #78

I twist mine around my wrist. It isn't constricting like an actual hand strap, but it would give me an extra opportunity to grab onto something should it slip out of my hands. Otherwise, if not in my hand or on a tripod, the camera stays in the bag.
11-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catsman50 Quote
okay so I went out shooting today and realized what everyone is talking about sometimes you just don't feel safe in some situations. where can you find a wrist band like you have?
(referring to the loop-on-tripod screw type like Mike Cash likes.)

I at least used to have one of these kicking around, but I can't recall the last time I saw it. May have already given it away, but I'll keep an eye out for it. It's not in either of the obvious places, but it might still be around.

I bet they can be found on Ebay, too, if you're willing to wade through what you get when you search on 'strap.' (maybe try 'wrist strap screw')

...Thinking about trying a wrist strap, myself, or a tether, that'll go alongside the neck strap on my K20d: As I suspected, I'm kind of wanting for a bit more security with a biggish zoom on there. At least this past month, anyway, when I haven't been feeling very strong.

11-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #80
Inactive Account

Black Rapid

check out their straps. I have never had anything that works as well.
11-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimCT Quote
Or costs as much.
11-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #82

My camera is attached to me at all times, usually strap around the neck... if my head wasn't attached it would fall off... thank god for necks!

11-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #83
Inactive Account

[Re: Blackrapid Straps]

QuoteOriginally posted by JimCT Quote
I can't either... I just got mine. Perfect for photowalking. Camera stays put until I reach for it... amazing strap despite the steep price.
11-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #84
Inactive Account

Pentax brand wrist-strap. I can carry the K20D and the heavy DA12-24mm all day long and feel secure without feeling any strain.
11-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #85

I've always used a neck strap, because its so versatile to me. Any time I pick up the camera, I loop the strap around my wrist. I rarely put it around my neck, unless I'm on vacation just sightseeing, or I need my hands for something. If you loop the strap properly, you can let your arm do the work, and your hand doesnt get tired. And there is no way anything is going to rip it out of your hand.

I started doing this because when I was in college, I took a couple of photography classes and our professor insisted that we do so. Not long after I took the class, I was trying to take a shot from a high railing when some careless idiot bumped into me and the camera slipped from my hand. If it weren't for the strap, I'd have lost it. From then on, I always used the strap, and it has saved my camera many times.
11-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Hmm, I use an R-Strap, so I'm not sure what to mark for this poll...

- Jason
11-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm a no strap guy on the digi's and on my 67II. Work from a tripod virtually always so strap is just a way to cause vibrations as it flaps in the wind. When shooting handheld occasionally I've found the strap problematic catching brush when afield and flapping around aimlessly when shooting indoors (dragging through the onion dip on holidays). Pretty much only shoot family snapshots with point and shoots also without a strap. For my use I can't think of any reason to want a strap as I don't ever try to impersonate a Japanese tourist--now those folks use their straps!
11-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I lasted a week with a wrist strap, you essentially lose one hand which makes lens changing or anything else really trickey. The neck strap is a tad annoying but i can change lenses in seconds and the optech is super comfy.
11-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I've always used a neck strap,

I started doing this because when I was in college, I took a couple of photography classes and our professor insisted that we do so.
My daughter, too, who instructed me. Caught violating once was a reprimand and some grade points removed. Twice was dismissal from the class and an Incomplete.

Now it is a habit.
11-29-2009, 04:32 AM   #90
Pentaxian

I use a a Lowepro removable strap, but generally find that I leave the strap on my K20 and around my neck as a safety feature whenever I have the camera out of the bag. I also find this useful for changing lenses in the field. When bushwalking, I usually have the 18-250 on the camera in a bag strapped to my belt, and at least one other lens also on the belt. Having the strap around my neck gives me two hands free to change lenses or remove a teleconverter.