Use strap around the neck 30047.85%
Use strap around the wrist 11818.82%
No strap you have a death grip from hell 507.97%
You rotate it neck, wrist, hell grip, what ever!!!!!!! 15925.36%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #1

who keeps their strap on the camera?

So today I met up with my buddy that has a Nikon d300 and we where at the Juno pier shooting some surfers. Well we swapped cameras for a bit and loved his first experience with my k100ds and I must say the d300 is one hell of a camera!

I noticed that he didn't have his strap on his camera and it was easier to shoot it seemed! So when I got home I took my strap off and my camera and that thing will never go back on!lol I never put my strap around my neck it was always on my wrist and it was so annoying.

So what do you guys do with your straps? around the neck, around the wrist, no strap?????

11-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have my strap on my camera at all times, I always make sure it's tight around my neck or around my hand at all times, it's too risky to let it go dangling loose. I'm very paranoid for my camera gear anyways so that's just me. But they do sell those Pentax hand grip straps on the Pentax web store that looks pretty hand for those who don't want to use a strap.

By the way, I love your avater, can you make a K-7 version?
11-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
I found it on the website.lol I wish I could make a k7 avatar but sorry I can't
11-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as I'm concerned, a strap is an invitation to catastrophe. My camera is either firmly in hand, on a tripod or in the bag.

11-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I need the strap because these days I'm usually double fisting with my K-7 (or 5D) and one of my several medium format cams (Kiev-60/Hassie 501CM/Yashica-Mat 124G). While I carry them around in a camera bag, those times when I want to quickly switch from DSLR to MF then back to DSLR again, I need to have the DSLR hanging from my neck.

I agree, if your DSLR is the only cam I had, I'd just get a wrist strat for it and forget the neck strap.
11-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neck strap around neck for when I have two bodies on me for quick access.
Otherwise in bag...
11-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

lol, double fisting cameras. I thought that term was reserved for drinking and shooting (John Woo movies)...

11-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, the strap is too handy and secure to do without for me.
With 2 bodies it's absolutely necessary for convenience and speed. With 1 body I wrap it around my wrist for safe and secure use out of habit and forget it. When I'm changing lenses while standing I can put it over my shoulder and free my hands to dig in my bag and hold lenses.
Very useful IMO; I hardly ever walk around with the cam over my shoulder. It's either in my hand or in the bag.

cheers
11-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old School

As my daughter was taught in the film days (pre-2003 with k1000's), never pick up a camera without the strap around your wrist. Since she has taught me, it comes naturally to me.

If anyone was caught shooting without the strap around the wrist or carrying without the strap around the neck - it meant dismissal from class and an "F." Actually happened.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-02-2009 at 03:40 PM.
11-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Both my cameras have straps on them and they usually go on my neck.

Straps are now a necessity when I sometimes go shooting with both my K10D and K-7 on me at the same time
11-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just took mine off. Usually if I am going for a long walk, it is easier to hang the camera around my neck until I find something to shoot. Carrying my heavy K10d camera in my hands for 2-3 hours hurts the wrist.

On shorter outings, the strap is tied around the wrist.
11-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #12

Saved by the neck strap

The quick release on my tripod wasn't set quite right, and as I stepped back from the camera it tipped off the tripod, heading toward the concrete. Fortunately, the strap got caught on the tripod head, and my K10D ended up swinging safely back and forth about 2 feet away from impact. I leave the neck strap on.
11-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

At the moment my cameras have the stock neck straps on them. I'm waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for my wife to make a noose style wrist strap for me. I'll post up if she ever gets it done.
11-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
The quick release on my tripod wasn't set quite right, and as I stepped back from the camera it tipped off the tripod, heading toward the concrete. Fortunately, the strap got caught on the tripod head, and my K10D ended up swinging safely back and forth about 2 feet away from impact. I leave the neck strap on.
The same thing happened to me two weeks ago, with a DA*50-135mm mounted my K-7. The camera with this lens on is quite front-heavy, and the whole thing tipped forward from the tripod.

It had already fallen out of my reach, but I fortunately caught hold of the strap and the K-7 was left just swinging from the strap, about 2 feet from the ground.

Phewww....saved by the strap...
11-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Around neck and shoulder. Only around the neck is too straining for me.