Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #61
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've asked at Russian penta-club about green cast in yellow.
They see the same...

11-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think you don't understand what I mean...
Have a look at yellow... Do you really see no any green cast?
Absolutely impossible to say unless you are looking at the same bag in the same light to compare with. Otherwise, how would you know the actual colors of that bag in that light aren't exactly what you see here?

FWIW, I loaded it into ACDSee, and the "yellow" pixels read around 190/200/2. Again, without knowing the actual color of the dye used and that of the light used, it's *impossible* to know if this is correct or not. But even if it weren't, so what - all that means is AWB kicked in to remove some of the color cast from the light, just as it it should. Try shooting a color reference chart after doing a manual WB setting if you want to make any claims whatsoever abut color. Otherwise, you're just guessing.

Similarly for people claiming to be able to tell just by looking at a picture that the skin tones are 'waaay" off - unless you've got those very people sitting right next to you in that same light, you basically have no idea if it's accurate or not. Considering the makeup and the settings used (contrast, saturation, and sharpness all cranked up), that picture looks (on *my* calibated monitor) completely within the range of what should be expected. Now, if those girls are actually, say, of Arab descent, I'd agree the skin tones appear off. But if, for example, they are of northern European descent, it looks about right for the settings chosen.
11-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #63
Veteran Member

They see the same...
Then ask one of them to post a shot made under controlled lighting of a standard color reference chart - since that's the only way one can make claims like that, obviously, they must have such shots they could share...
11-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Now, if those girls are actually, say, of Arab descent, I'd agree the skin tones appear off. But if, for example, they are of northern European descent, it looks about right for the settings chosen.
Yup, we just plain ole' white folk with photographically inadequate makeup.. LOL

11-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #65
Veteran Member

They see the same...

talking about picture i posted.

why green color disappear when I desaturate all other colors??? If it is there should show up.
11-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I just love it how people can't get satisfied..if it's not one thing, it's the other.
its not only that people see one file and make concrete conclusion based on it.
11-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Absolutely impossible to say unless you are looking at the same bag in the same light to compare with. Otherwise, how would you know the actual colors of that bag in that light aren't exactly what you see here?

here is one more picture of that wrapper, from a shapping web page.

give you some idea how that pack could look like.

11-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #68
Veteran Member

They see the same...
okey i asked someone else to have a look at and he did some cleaning.
green-yellows.jpg by Bear_Music - DPChallenge

in way you were right that there is some green cast. But the snacks never look like pure yellow so the top is though now pure, not correct representation of scene. The bottom is still close to actual scene.
11-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
okey i asked someone else to have a look at and he did some cleaning.
green-yellows.jpg by Bear_Music - DPChallenge

in way you were right that there is some green cast. But the snacks never look like pure yellow so the top is though now pure, not correct representation of scene. The bottom is still close to actual scene.
I'm wondering if you used AWB on this one. the K-7's AWB does display a bit of a bluish hue under tungsten lighting on a reflective purple glossy subject. so this might be a mishit on the part of the k-x's AWB. although I didn't say that the k-x's AWB isn't very good.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 11-04-2009 at 11:31 PM.
11-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm wondering if you used AWB on this one. the K-7's AWB does display a bit of a bluish hue under tungsten lighting with a reflective purple glossy subject. so this might be a mishit on the part of the k-x's AWB. although I didn't say that the k-x's AWB isn't very good.
yes it was auto white balance. When i reach home i will post exif too.
I tried to keep as much as auto as possible and with touching anything from my side.
11-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
give you some idea how that pack could look like.
True, had both pictures been shot in the same light and with the same WB. Since neither of those were likely the case, it doesn't really help.
11-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #72
Forum Member

agree with ogl that the pictures appear to have weird colors. yellow hue on skin tones
but i think it should be adjustable with the settings on the camera

if its using the same sensor as d90, i used to change the mode to neutral -1 sat
Nikon Imaging | PICTURE CONTROL SYSTEM
11-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a different sensor than that in the D90, and Nikon's picture controls are likely to be at least subtly, if not significantly different than Pentax's picture controls. No dice.
11-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
agree with ogl that the pictures appear to have weird colors. yellow hue on skin tones
but i think it should be adjustable with the settings on the camera

if its using the same sensor as d90, i used to change the mode to neutral -1 sat
Nikon Imaging | PICTURE CONTROL SYSTEM
Try shooting with Natural instead of Bright
11-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Yes, I agree, I need to at least use 200 ISO as a base and possibly 400 to 800. With this camera, you can truly get away with it.

I'm pretty positive you'll be able to 'get away' with more than that!

I'm betting that the K-X will match the D90's high-ISO output. This is ISO 1000 (f/2.2) from
the D90, no NR applied in PP:

Crop:

Here's ISO 2000, f/2, again, no NR:

(these were both odd lighting, the second an extremely yellow tungsten cast -
I left the color exactly as the eye saw.)

So yes, put your flash away and use that wonderful little camera to it's full potential!
(love the colorful wife-kids shot, BTW)