Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 03:03 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The main problem of K-x is COLOUR. IMO.

I've played with RAW from K-x. It seems to me - K-x has strange yellow, red and green.
To correct the colour of each photo in convertor is rather lazy for me.

Yellow has green cast, red is with raspberry pink cast, green is a bit acid green.

The colour are not well-balanced and I can say it's rather pops colours.
With higher ISO - more acid. The jpeg from Raw and in-camera jpeg are rather similiar.

No way to set good colours with WB level in RAW-converter. Need to work under all colours separately.

As for JPEG - either pale, or too "acid".

Of course, there are a lof of pops colour-lovers...
What Kind of mushroom do you use?

11-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #32
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
What Kind of mushroom do you use?
I used PEF, DNG and JPEG from K-x.
11-03-2009, 03:35 AM   #33
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nothing at all is wrong with the K-x colours. Why do you even bother posting such foolishness. Get ahold of one and see for yourself.
Compare with K-7 or with cameras with CCD from Pentax.
Can you?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11899953@N02/sets/72157622477827457/
http://pentax.photoble.net/?s_cat01=&camera=PENTAX+K-x&lens=&act=DSP

have a look at the photos at the first page of this thread.
11-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

"Don't feed the troll(s)"

11-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I've played with RAW from K-x. It seems to me - K-x has strange yellow, red and green.

Yellow has green cast, red is with raspberry pink cast, green is a bit acid green.

The colour are not well-balanced and I can say it's rather pops colours.
With higher ISO - more acid. The jpeg from Raw and in-camera jpeg are rather similiar.

No way to set good colours with WB level in RAW-converter. Need to work under all colours separately.

As for JPEG - either pale, or too "acid".

Of course, there are a lof of pops colour-lovers...

I give you another perspective.

1. Most of the people who visit photo related forums like this one are photographers and understand enough the importance of color. Because this is one of the most important aspect.

2. Most of the people are intelligent enough. They are not Einstein but have basic level of intelligence.

3. How many people you see complaining about color of k-x. I think you probably are the only one.

put all three facts together and here is conclusion - its not the camera its you.
11-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There have been color, hue and saturation settings in the Pentax menu since the *istD. The new custom image menus are even better! if you don't like saturated colors, tone them up or down as needed. Choose "natural" that makes things pretty bland if you like that.

I happen to use the "bright" option with the saturation and contrast sliders bumped up a notch or two.

Here is a photo at 100 ISO, just to show how nice the colors are from a K-x.

Last edited by skid2964; 11-03-2009 at 09:23 AM.
11-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #37
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
There have been color, hue and saturation settings in the Pentax menu since the *istD. The new custom image menus are even better! if you don't like saturated colors, tone them up or down as needed. Choose "natural" that makes things pretty bland if you like that.

[/IMG]
What happened with skin tones of faces?

11-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #38
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
"Don't feed the troll(s)"
Do you have eyes and good calibrated IPS monitor?
11-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #39
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
I give you another perspective.

Open your eyes and try to see real red, yellow and green. Don't you really see that red is with pink (raspberry) cast, yellow has green cast and green is unreal green?
Skintones are out of my mind. Are we from Mars? K-x's colours are some surreal.
11-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ogl has got a point. skin tones doesn't look real at all or balanced. the saturation/color adjustment is quite tricky since the 3 faces display different strong color casts. unless of course the subjects are wearing make-up, are they?
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My wife is wearing makeup, my daughters are not.
As noted above, I use "bright" custom image with saturation and contrast bumped up. I was mainly trying to show how rich the colors can be. If there are any flaws, it is my fault and not the fault of the camera.

I may have had the flash unit a tad too close to them as well. I held it to my left at arms length. I get better tones when I back up and use a longer focal length.
11-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
My wife is wearing makeup, my daughters are not.
As noted above, I use "bright" custom image with saturation and contrast bumped up. I was mainly trying to show how rich the colors can be. If there are any flaws, it is my fault and not the fault of the camera.

I may have had the flash unit a tad too close to them as well. I held it to my left at arms length. I get better tones when I back up and use a longer focal length.
thanks for confirming that. btw, you should had boosted up your ISO there instead. I think that would be more suited on that occasion. besides, what's the use of buying the k-x if you're not going to use it's ISO potential. I'd suggest that you set aside your flash for now and let the k-x's ISO do it's job !!!
11-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
thanks for confirming that. btw, you should had boosted up your ISO there instead. I think that would be more suited on that occasion. besides, what's the use of buying the k-x if you're not going to use it's ISO potential. I'd suggest that you set aside your flash for now and let the k-x's ISO do it's job !!!
That was like the 5th or 6th photo I had ever taken with it. I had also installed new flouresent bulbs in the dining room lamp that threw me off.

Yes, I agree, I need to at least use 200 ISO as a base and possibly 400 to 800. With this camera, you can truly get away with it.
11-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Can you post one of the pictures you shot of a standardized color reference chart under high quality controlled lighting, so we can view the results on our own calibrated monitors using our own favorite RAW processing software to see this effect you refer to?

Or is it perhaps possible whatever effect your are seeing is just the way the scene actually was, or the way the color of the light actually was, or is just what your own RAW processing software and monitor happens to be showing you?
11-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Open your eyes and try to see real red, yellow and green. Don't you really see that red is with pink (raspberry) cast, yellow has green cast and green is unreal green?
Skintones are out of my mind. Are we from Mars?
No, it's just Halloween. What on earth makes you think those are *not* the actual colors of those costumes and that makeup under the color of the particular fluorescent bulbs used? And of course, as the EXIF made clear even before he mentioned this explicitly, this picture was taken in Bright mode with saturation, contrast, and sharpness all turned up as well. Any camera that produced "normal" looking colors under those conditions would be severely defective!