Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Hmm, I have to agree with ogl here unfortunately. K-x has indeed lost the 'pentax colors' that was there up until K-m. The pictures are fine. It just doesn't look the same anymore. Remember people complaining that their k20d pics look 'better' than K-7? This is the same case imho.
I believe this is more about the K-7 noise issue rather than the Pentax color rendering of the K-7. as far as color vividness is concerned, I believe I got a lot of results that would attest to the K-7's pentax colors. otherwise you would had seen me already complaining at Pentax for producing Nikon-ish color rendering.

11-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe this is more about the K-7 noise issue rather than the Pentax color rendering of the K-7. as far as color vividness is concerned, I believe I got a lot of results that would attest to the K-7's pentax colors. otherwise you would had seen me already complaining at Pentax for producing Nikon-ish color rendering.
Since I'm not planning to get a K-7 I'll take your word for it
11-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I have seen this in all my Pentax camera's, very bold and vivid colors. I was trying to achive this with the K-x.

Out of the box, my K-x was delivering the more bland Nikon/Canon look, I bumped up the settings to get back to the Pentax look I enjoy. I may have not gotten it right yet as I stated before, It was one of the first 5 or 6 photos I had taken with it.

Regardless, I am EXTREMELY happy with the camera, it's a keeper for sure.
if you're not able to solve that problem, you can now start putting the blame on the new SONY sensor for eliminating the Pentax colors as well. probably all those colors got transferred to the K-x body instead.
11-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Since I'm not planning to get a K-7 I'll take your word for it
no need to hit the panic button just yet. I believe it is more of an error on the user's part for over-applying saturation on the image or using the wrong custom image setting.
I'll probably post an image from my new toy (lens) using strong image setting adjustments. I'm looking to try out the fine sharpness 2 test, strong contrast and lower saturation. let's just see how the colors would turn out.

11-07-2009, 03:37 AM   #110
Veteran Member

color is just a myth.

Place is Koyasan, japan.
(today taken)

out of camera k-x

changed :

11-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
color is just a myth.

Place is Koyasan, japan.
(today taken)

I get that your point is that color can be changed, even when it seem so muted at first. Nevertheless I still think that from what's on the net so far, out of camera K-x images still looks different from the old style pentax colors (as can be seen on your sample image). I dont need to spend much time in LR to get the signature 'pentax colors' that my eyes find pleasing in K100 and K10, just slight bump (point here being slight) in vibrance and contrast and everything already look lovely. This might not be a bad point of course, different things take different approaches. Whether I can get the same results on K-x with the same amout of effort or not, probably will have to wait until I get my k-x as my processing workflow is probably different from yours.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-07-2009 at 10:45 AM.
11-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #112
Veteran Member

the magic word is "workflow".

11-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #113
Veteran Member

+1

And let me add camera color profile for your PP software.
11-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #114
Veteran Member

150% correct.
I do shoot with negative sharpness and saturation and do post processing on them.

i have still learn to expose properly with k-x. Camera does not meter very good in most situations.
11-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #115
Veteran Member

150% correct.
I do shoot with negative sharpness and saturation and do post processing on them.

i have still learn to expose properly with k-x. Camera does not meter very good in most situations.
were you not using spot metering? I think that metering would be more ideal for the k-x.
11-08-2009, 01:58 AM   #116
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
color is just a myth.

Place is Koyasan, japan.
(today taken)

out of camera k-x

changed :
The both are really bad. You've proved my theory at 100% with this photos.
11-08-2009, 02:09 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The both are really bad. You've proved my theory at 100% with this photos.
i dunno about being bad. This photos prints well and could be hanged on wall. (if you are worried about saturation, i delibrately bumped it up).
In the end it depends what someone wants from cam. Not everyone is trying to reproduce reality to 100% exactness.
11-08-2009, 02:19 AM   #118
Veteran Member

here is one more - screwed up reds.

11-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #119
ogl
Banned

here is one more - screwed up reds.
can you show something good balanced in colours?
11-08-2009, 04:13 AM   #120
ogl
Banned

i dunno about being bad. This photos prints well and could be hanged on wall. (if you are worried about saturation, i delibrately bumped it up).
In the end it depends what someone wants from cam. Not everyone is trying to reproduce reality to 100% exactness.
GIVE me RAW of this photo, please.

Last edited by ogl; 11-08-2009 at 06:32 AM.