Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
constant exposure warning K10d

my K10d seems to have a fault , the flashing exposure warning is in both displays is almost constantly on yet it mostly takes images ok.
the response to altering aperture or speed does not seem to always adjust the other in p mode or even Tv or Av yet the images mostly are OK. also in M mode if I adjust the exposure bar to the centre then the aperture and times are very different from either the green mode or the program mode.
I also seem using two different zoom lenses that at max zoom the auto exposure in the displays don't flash but at minimum zoom they do??do this camera need to go for a service?if so who in the UK do you contact?

Not related to this but another question if you use the green button in M mode it is supposed to change the setting to P,Av,T.v but how do you know which mode you are in?
help please
Alistair

11-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK found out the problem, except in manual mode the lever that mover the shutter moves the camera is not stopping down the lens. it stays wide open all the time.
in manual mode it moves and closed the iris down
any ideas anyone??
Alistair

Last edited by adwb; 11-02-2009 at 07:06 AM. Reason: did not make sense!!
11-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

What lens are you using?
11-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
almost sounds like a manual aperture lens, or the lens not in A position.

Note when the lens is of, the camera will interpret this as a manual aperture lens and in Av mode will not stop the lens down.

11-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm assuming you are talking about a manual lens, or a lens with aperture ring not set on "A". That explains the flashing "F--" you are interpreting as an exposure warning. It isn't - it's just telling you it doesn't know the aperture, so it plans to shoot wide open. That's normal when trying to use any mode but M when using aperture ring. see the thread in the beginner's forum on using manual lenses. Or if it's not a manul lens, set the aperture ring on "A".

As for what the green button does in M mode, there should be a custom option to control that. At least for auto-aperture lenses. When using the aperture ring (eg, with a manual lens), there is only one thing the Green butotn can ever do, and that is set shutter speed (called "Tv shift" in the custom menu; but it actually the equivalent of a semi-automatic Av mode).
11-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK after yesterdays somewhat panicky posting I have, I think, sorted out the fault and there is a beauty of one.
for a start no matter what setting the lens is on [a or manual] the image info always says I took the picture at whatever is the widest opening for that lens.
so forget manual , lets use with any lens on position A
if I shoot in manual mode set the aperture by the dial the top screen/viewfinder says f8 speed required is 500. take picture and it looks ok in the LCD
look at the image info on the camera and it says f3.5 and 500!!
look at the image on the card with any exif info reader and it says 3.5 as well.
so, in M mode adjusting the f number alters the speed required [as normal] on the display if you centre the bar graph and take picture and the info re speed is always correct but the f stop information remains at the lens maximum opening.
I am not even going to try to explain the havoc this cause with Av or TV or any other mode settings.
one last thing is I can see clearly that if I set the lens manually to f16 or f22 I can see the iris closes when the shutter is activated and on A position if I set it to f16 and a long exposure I can also see the iris stop down so it is not a mechanical fault ,
Alistair

Last edited by adwb; 11-03-2009 at 04:21 AM.
11-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
OK found out the problem, except in manual mode the lever that mover the shutter moves the camera is not stopping down the lens. it stays wide open all the time.
in manual mode it moves and closed the iris down
any ideas anyone??
Alistair
Read the manual thread at the top of the beginner's forum. It goes through the "feature rich" use of manual aperture lenses on digital bodies.
11-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Is that with all lenses, or just one? From what you are describing, it seems as likely to be a lens problem as a camera one.

11-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mark this with any lens both the kit 15-55 lens [no manual settings] and A type lenses [2]
Alistair