Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lattyday Quote
It's no longer $799 at Best Buy...

Also, after reading some descriptions, no I don't think lens hoods are included which is lame.
That isn't entirely surprising - I am guessing perhaps they initially thought they needed to price lower to be competitive with the online sellers (and they probably did get a bulk buy discount direct from pentax to be able to cover the originally lowered price), but when they were only staying in the warehouse for hours they probably realized that they could sell them at full msrp. same as amazon it seems!

11-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, trying to decide what to do now.

Newegg.com has some good deals

Newegg.com - pentax k-x

K-x + 18-55 + Free Pentax Sling Bag for $609.00
K-x + 18-55 + 55-200 + Free Pentax Sling Bag for $699.00

How much does Pentax 55-200 usually go for? I know that the 55-300 goes for around $350 ish. Getting the 55-300 lens in a kit saves a lot of money, but is it worth getting the 55-200 kit? I've read that the 55-300 is the superior lens in most respects.

ALSO, going through Bing, (which I just tried for the first time today and would recommend it), you can get the K-x + 18-55 + 55-300 for $807 after a rebate, through J&R. This is close to my $750 amazon preorder, but... man, it's still another $60. Thoughts?

P.S., still waiting on those emails I sent to the companies. Willoughbys emailed me back but I don't think they understood that I wanted a price match. Waiting on a reply.

Last edited by lattyday; 11-06-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Couple of clarifications
11-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That isn't entirely surprising - I am guessing perhaps they initially thought they needed to price lower to be competitive with the online sellers (and they probably did get a bulk buy discount direct from pentax to be able to cover the originally lowered price), but when they were only staying in the warehouse for hours they probably realized that they could sell them at full msrp. same as amazon it seems!
I agree. I have a preorder with Amazon as well. At $750 shipped, it seemed like too good a deal too pass up at the time. Now I'm not sure I want it anymore, but part of me doesn't want to cancel since I think that's what Amazon wants us to do If I do decide I don't want it in the end, anyone want it at (my) cost [just so Amazon doesn't "win"]?
11-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #34
Inactive Account

I'm thinking of just getting the K-X with 18-55 and 50-200mm from Amazon at $724.95 as it's the only version they have in stock right now.

Amazon seems to have the best return policy (no restocking fee), and I may sign up to their Credit Card to get $30 off, 3 points for every dollar spent, plus sign up for the free trial to Prime for quick shipping. Then this purchase would get me about 2000 points (at 2500 you get like a $25 gift card, not sure about cash)

Though, their Credit Card off always mentions $30 off, but when I have the camera in the cart, because it's a purchase over $149, they advertise 90 days no payment instead, will I still get $30 off on my first purchase?

Newegg has the single lens kit for $609 and free bag, but I have to pay tax, and they charge restocking fees in case a SLR is not for me.

Edit, placed an order for the 200mm lens kit, $728 after one day shipping (Prime Trial), plus $30 credit will appear on Amazon Card statement.

Last edited by TimothyB; 11-07-2009 at 03:37 PM.
11-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I agree. I have a preorder with Amazon as well. At $750 shipped, it seemed like too good a deal too pass up at the time. Now I'm not sure I want it anymore, but part of me doesn't want to cancel since I think that's what Amazon wants us to do If I do decide I don't want it in the end, anyone want it at (my) cost [just so Amazon doesn't "win"]?

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Same here. I sent an email to Amazon, this is their reply:

-----------------------------

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

Currently we do not have a estimated delivery dates for your order because the item has not yet released.

We rely on the manufacturer for release date information. Our most recent information was that "Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black)" hasn't been released yet and the expected release date is not known. We'll make sure to update our website listing when we know more.

Once this item has been released and we receive copies, we will be able to ship it to you. It is not uncommon for there to be a delay of several weeks between the release and distribution of a new publication.

When your order is shipped, you should receive an e-mail message confirming the date, contents, and method of your shipment. As per our standard policy, we do not charge you for items until they enter the shipping process, so you will not be charged for this item until it is available and we have shipped it to you.

If you'd rather cancel your order, I understand. To cancel your order, go to the URL below and click the "Need to cancel an item?" button...

---------------

It seems like they want people to cancel. Also, it is just not true that the manufacturer has not released this item yet... There are other places already selling it.
11-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #36
Inactive Account

I wouldn't put any stock in the "has not been released" notes on Amazon. They probably had it like that for the original pre-order, but seem to have forgotten to update it to say something else once sold out of the first stock.

They had the normal single lens kit (black) in stock (they noted 1 left), then before I was able to buy it that day, someone else did and it went from in stock back to saying the item hasn't been released yet, as if they never sold any in the past.
11-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anoither Vendor

I went to Cameta on Friday morning and got my K-X today at 1030. Talk about service.

QuoteOriginally posted by buhbuhlee123 Quote
I thought I would update everyone on my email to Amazon about this specific kit...

-------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Iím very sorry for the delay in completing your order.

As you requested, we will continue our efforts to obtain this item for you. We appreciate your patience with this order.

I would like to inform you that sometimes unexpected fluctuations in supply can add time to our original availability estimate. We have learned that the items " Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black)" is now back-ordered, and our supplier has not been able to let us know exactly when they expect to have more in stock.

Also note that the availability and shipping time frames listed on our web site are estimates, not guarantees. While we do our best to adhere to these estimates, our inventory is constantly changing based on information we receive directly from our suppliers.

It appears that the current availability estimate listed on our web site may not yet reflect the most recent information provided to us by our suppliers. I apologize for any inconvenience caused to you.

The revised estimated Delivery Date is January 4.

You won't be charged until we ship it to you. On the date of shipment, we'll send you e-mail confirming the date, contents, and method of your shipment.

I know that this upgrading will in no way compensate for the inconvenience caused, we do care for our customers and do all we can to avail this item for you, in spite of all the efforts our reliance on suppliers and manufacturers for information about their stock, has caused this disappointment.

We are working hard to obtain this item for you and we will ship it as soon as we are able to obtain it. This means that we will ship the item as soon as we receive it from our suppliers even if the estimated ship date has still not arrived.

-----------------------------------------------------

So around January 4th we can all expect our cameras to get to us.. hmmf.....
11-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anoither Vendor

I thought I would update everyone on my email to Amazon about this specific kit...

-------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Iím very sorry for the delay in completing your order.

As you requested, we will continue our efforts to obtain this item for you. We appreciate your patience with this order.

I would like to inform you that sometimes unexpected fluctuations in supply can add time to our original availability estimate. We have learned that the items " Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black)" is now back-ordered, and our supplier has not been able to let us know exactly when they expect to have more in stock.

Also note that the availability and shipping time frames listed on our web site are estimates, not guarantees. While we do our best to adhere to these estimates, our inventory is constantly changing based on information we receive directly from our suppliers.

It appears that the current availability estimate listed on our web site may not yet reflect the most recent information provided to us by our suppliers. I apologize for any inconvenience caused to you.

The revised estimated Delivery Date is January 4.

You won't be charged until we ship it to you. On the date of shipment, we'll send you e-mail confirming the date, contents, and method of your shipment.

I know that this upgrading will in no way compensate for the inconvenience caused, we do care for our customers and do all we can to avail this item for you, in spite of all the efforts our reliance on suppliers and manufacturers for information about their stock, has caused this disappointment.

We are working hard to obtain this item for you and we will ship it as soon as we are able to obtain it. This means that we will ship the item as soon as we receive it from our suppliers even if the estimated ship date has still not arrived.

-----------------------------------------------------

So around January 4th we can all expect our cameras to get to us.. hmmf.....
I went to Cameta on Friday morning and got my K-X today at 1030. Talk about service.

11-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #39

I went ahead and ordered from J&R thru Bing. It was $807 (w/ free shipping) vs amazon's $750 (plus $10 shipping as Amazon's free shipping sometimes takes forever to arrive)

Still haven't cancelled my original Amazon order though...
11-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
How much did you ended up paying?
11-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by s96kj Quote
I went ahead and ordered from J&R thru Bing. It was $807 (w/ free shipping) vs amazon's $750 (plus $10 shipping as Amazon's free shipping sometimes takes forever to arrive)

Still haven't cancelled my original Amazon order though...
Nice job! That is a great deal, only slightly more than Amazon. I mean, it includes a $350 + lens for about $200. Not too shabby.

I still haven't canceled my Amazon order either. But, I'm leaning towards skipping a two lens kit altogether and getting the $609 deal at newegg (18-55 plus free pentax camera bag)
11-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #42
Inactive Account

They emailed me today and told me that it should be deilvered by November 16th!
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #43
Inactive Account

They emailed me today and told me that it should be deilvered by November 16th!
I also received an email today. My delivery date is a little later than yours, but still better than January.

Estimated arrival date: November 23 2009 - December 01 2009
11-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #44
Forum Member

just checked amazon, and this is what they are saying:

Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black) by Pentax
Buy new: $849.95 Click for product details

Get it by Thursday, Nov 12 if you order in the next 2 hours and choose one-day shipping.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
Electronics: See all 671 items
11-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lattyday Quote
Well, trying to decide what to do now.

Newegg.com has some good deals

Newegg.com - pentax k-x

K-x + 18-55 + Free Pentax Sling Bag for $609.00
K-x + 18-55 + 55-200 + Free Pentax Sling Bag for $699.00

How much does Pentax 55-200 usually go for? I know that the 55-300 goes for around $350 ish. Getting the 55-300 lens in a kit saves a lot of money, but is it worth getting the 55-200 kit? I've read that the 55-300 is the superior lens in most respects.

ALSO, going through Bing, (which I just tried for the first time today and would recommend it), you can get the K-x + 18-55 + 55-300 for $807 after a rebate, through J&R. This is close to my $750 amazon preorder, but... man, it's still another $60. Thoughts?

P.S., still waiting on those emails I sent to the companies. Willoughbys emailed me back but I don't think they understood that I wanted a price match. Waiting on a reply.
also, i received an email from newegg today with a promo code for 10% off any dslr camera (up to $50)! i could either get the camera with the standard lens kit for $559 or with the standard and the 55-200 for $649! i wanted the white, but i might pull the trigger on this deal