Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #1

First dslr advice

Hi all,

I recently found about the pentax k-x and I wanted to know if this is a good dslr for me since I am coming from a point and shoot. I checked out the sony a330 today at the store and really liked how fast its live view was, is the pentax live fast as I wear glasses and would like to be able to take pictures through the live view. I also like the filters and video capability. This will be used for family/kids/vacations/indoor parties etc. So low light is important.

As far as the lens goes I will probably have at the most 3 lenses. either ditch the kit lens a nd get a all in one lens like 18-250 -270 and a 50mm like the nikon nifty fifty that I have heard a lot which is good for low light and portraits. So kindly suggest?

11-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, LiveView is not one of the better aspects of the Pentax system (though to be honest LiveView sucks in most dSLRs and I haven't used the A330, so the K-x's might be just as good for all I know).
11-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Live view is not as fast on the Pentax, but it is a lot more accurate for framing. The Sony uses a second sensor that shows you what the viewfinder "sees", but the viewfinder on the Sony's camera shows only about 92% of what the sensor will record, so you end up losing a lot of pixels once you crop in PP to have the same framing you had in Live View. Pentax, on the other hand, uses the actual sensor that takes the picture to show in Live View what the sensor will actually record. The Pentax system is 100% accurate (and so are Nikon, Canon and Olympus). Sony uses their Live View system so they can use the fast "phase detection" auto focus instead of the "contrast detect" auto focus used in Live View by all the other manufacturers. The "Contrast Detect" AF is slower, but deadly accurate.
11-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 369 Quote
I wear glasses and would like to be able to take pictures through the live view.
Coming from a P&S, which probably had terrible viewfinder, it's understandable that you might be used to taking pictures using liveview, but on a DSLR, it is far bettwr to use the viewfinder. That's what it is there for, and glasses-wearers have been using viewfinders for decades. Liveview on any DSLR is more for rare special occasion when the viewfinder isn't a viable option.