Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hot shoe question

Just wondering what you all do with your hot shoe cover when you have an external flash in place? I feel like I am constantly on the brink of losing mine and wonder if anyone has ideas for a good place to stow it.

Seems like there should be a special slot in the camera to stick it, when you have an external flash/trigger in place.

11-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep one in one of my camera bags, the other stored away.
I find that I use flash that often on both my bodies, I don't bother to have the covers on anymore.
11-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Doesn't that defeat the weather sealing then? My impression was that if you have the cover off that the weather sealing wouldn't be one hundred percent.
11-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The neck strap coming with the MZ film cameras, beside being broader and more comfortable, had two special pockets in it, just for this use...

Needless to say that the red Pentax-Proud-Owner strap never even made it on my k10-K20-K7...

And those little pockets are just the right size for 4 SD cards each!!! This way, I always have my cards with the camera...

11-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
The neck strap coming with the MZ film cameras, beside being broader and more comfortable, had two special pockets in it, just for this use...

Needless to say that the red Pentax-Proud-Owner strap never even made it on my k10-K20-K7...

And those little pockets are just the right size for 4 SD cards each!!! This way, I always have my cards with the camera...
I never thought of using the pockets for SD cards! Brilliant.
11-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Doesn't that defeat the weather sealing then? My impression was that if you have the cover off that the weather sealing wouldn't be one hundred percent.
In most situations I'm not concerned about that. Going out in more tumultuous conditions I'd probably get the little cover off - unless I need the flash on the camera as well, like at weddings...
11-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #7

I keep my flash in a pouch so it's very handy to put that little cover inside the pouch while the flash is on the camera.
11-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I put it in my jeans pocket right next to the lens cap when I'm shooting.

I don't think the hot shoe cover is weather sealed. I wouldn't worry about that. All the other weather sealings have rubber trim keeping dust and water out. The cover doesn't, but if I was using a flash in the rain, I'd be more worried about my 540 getting wet than the hot shoe.

11-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The hot shoe itself is probably weather sealed. The cover just slides on there and It don't have rubber gaskets like the doors on the camera does.
11-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

funny you should bring this subject up...

I got a K7 recently and saw that thing there and promptly removed it. Threw it into a pocket in my Slingbag with the K10D one that has resided there since day one of buying that camera.