Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-m something loose?

Hi,

I have just bought a twin lens k-m. I have taken it outof the box put thelens on and it feels like there is something sliding around inside. I have tried it when it's on and off and it feels the same. It's happens when I turn it left, right, forward and back. As I said I'm very new to dslr and don't want to appear stupid in the shop. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Thanks

11-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

i felt the same with k-x, then switched off sr and it seems to be okey. Try SR off and see what happens.
11-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
i felt the same with k-x, then switched off sr and it seems to be okey. Try SR off and see what happens.
Thanks, i will give it a try. Does it happen when you turn the sr back on?
11-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrettWalker79 Quote
Thanks, i will give it a try. Does it happen when you turn the sr back on?
i dunno i did not get time to turn it on. Can work with bumping up iso with this cam so not get into situation to use SR. :-D

11-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It's the sensor moving about, which it does because it's "floating" for SR. It's perfectly normal... happens on all Pentax dSLRs with SR.
11-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It's the sensor moving about, which it does because it's "floating" for SR. It's perfectly normal... happens on all Pentax dSLRs with SR.
LOL I hope at some point, Pentax will put it in BIG FONT in their user manual that vibration is normal. We see this question from almost all new Pentax users learning about in-body shake-reduction.
11-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
LOL I hope at some point, Pentax will put it in BIG FONT in their user manual that vibration is normal. We see this question from almost all new Pentax users learning about in-body shake-reduction.
Thanks for your reply.

They do put about vibrations on the manual, however this is something moving when the camera is on or off which feels like it hits something to stop it. Is that the floating sensor then?
11-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks for your reply.

They do put about vibrations on the manual, however this is something moving when the camera is on or off which feels like it hits something to stop it. Is that the floating sensor then?
Yep. There's generally a thread every day or two about this.

11-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for your reply.

So I guess what you should NOT do is to shake the camera in such a way as to constantly induce this vibration. I try not to be rough with the camera whenever possible.
11-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
So I guess what you should NOT do is to shake the camera in such a way as to constantly induce this vibration. I try not to be rough with the camera whenever possible.
Hi all,

just to be clear. I'm not shaking the camera. If I turn the camera to the right there is a slight delay and then the feeling of something moving, coming into contact with something and then coming to a stop. If if go left, the same happens. And the same front to back. I just really want to know of they are all the same and in your experience if you know what it is I'm experiencing. Thanks. I'm just confused.
11-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi all,

just to be clear. I'm not shaking the camera. If I turn the camera to the right there is a slight delay and then the feeling of something moving, coming into contact with something and then coming to a stop. If if go left, the same happens. And the same front to back. I just really want to know of they are all the same and in your experience if you know what it is I'm experiencing. Thanks. I'm just confused.
Yes, same thing. You tilt the camera, and something moves on the inside. Nothing to worry about.
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yep. There's generally a thread every day or two about this.
LOL!
Almost an everyday occurance..
11-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, as everyone is telling you, this is completely 100% normal, and has been for every DSLR Pentax has produced with SR, going back at least four years or so. Browse the forums yourself if you are still in doubt - there are probably about 1000 posts threads on this same topic.
11-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes, as everyone is telling you, this is completely 100% normal, and has been for every DSLR Pentax has produced with SR, going back at least four years or so. Browse the forums yourself if you are still in doubt - there are probably about 1000 posts threads on this same topic.
Perhaps we should have a Sticky Thread for this forum.
"For a Pentax dSLR with On-Board SR, its perfectly normal to have some sounds of slight movement or vibrations coming form inside the camera, even with the power Off.

Saves some bandwidth every time a new camera comes out
11-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it's great that someone asks this question so often - that means that there's lots of new Pentax dSLR owners out there, and that's a very, very good thing. I know that everyone who's answered this same question over the years is probably tired of saying the same thing, but I look at it as such a positive sign for Pentax.

Instead of having a sticky with a title"Its normal to have some movement or vibration..." have one that says "Caution! If your New Pentax experiences some movement - Important to read this First" and then go on to explain that they all do that.