Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #1

remote control on k-x

Hi, can I use a remote shutter unit on my next pentax dslr (precisely on a k-x)? (brand and model, please )
thanks in adv

11-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Hi, can I use a remote shutter unit on my next pentax dslr (precisely on a k-x)? (brand and model, please )
thanks in adv
You can use wireless remote (this one) - but there's only one sensor in the front to receive the signal (as opposed to two on K10D/K20D, not sure about others).
Also, there's no standard jack (I think it's 2.5mm?) for wired remote - only USB. So you won't be able to use a wired remote on the K-x.
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As pbo says.

Or just search on eBay for 3rd party remotes. If the remote says 'Pentax' or has a 'Pentax' button in it, it will work with your K-x.
11-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The good thing about it is even if it doesn't have the wired control, you can still use "bulb" mode as the remote works like it does on the K7 (at least from what I heard).

11-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The good thing about it is even if it doesn't have the wired control, you can still use "bulb" mode as the remote works like it does on the K7 (at least from what I heard).
I think (from my so far limited experience with K-x and my bad memory), there's a setting in custom menus, where you can change how bulb mode works - either hold remote, or press to fire, press again to close shutter.
Funny, I haven't found bulb mode yet... Where is it? It used to be on the mode dial, but now it got moved somewhere, probably because mode dial is cluttered already
11-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
pbo, set mode dial to M, then turn edial to set shutter to 'Bulb'. Then manually press shutter or use remote etc.
12-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
Inactive Account

OK, please enlighten me. I have just purchased the K-x and a remote F. I want to use the bulb mode where the first click opens the shutter and the second click closes the shutter. Please talk this noobe through it. TIA
12-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Deolman Quote
OK, please enlighten me. I have just purchased the K-x and a remote F. I want to use the bulb mode where the first click opens the shutter and the second click closes the shutter. Please talk this noobe through it. TIA
1) Custom menu 12, Option 1 (Bulb mode wireless remote) - should be default
2) Toggle M mode, select BULB time (it's after 30'').
3) Select wireless remote triggering....FIRE!

12-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I will give it a try. Thank you.
12-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deolman Quote
I will give it a try. Thank you.
So, did it work?
12-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Also, there's no standard jack (I think it's 2.5mm?) for wired remote - only USB. So you won't be able to use a wired remote on the K-x.
That was a Deal Breaker for me. I was close to buying a K-x until I found it has one jack on the side where my K100D has three. I do astrophotography with computer shutter control and occasionally birds with a LONG cable release. I need a wired remote. And I need AC power. With K-x you open the battery compartment and plug in an adaptor. Oddly it uses the same K100D power supply with a converter. Not so easy to connect/remove in the dark!

For the cost of two jacks they lost a sale. Besides, it gave me enough time to realize I have enough Pentax DSLRs already!