Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Nice idea of buying me a K7

A little problem. The car insurance change from my sweethearts car brought a little cash in my pocket...

Just enaugh to go from K20D to K7 in my photo-bag.

So would it be a good idea to spend the money quick before my wife will grap it for shoes and a new handbag??

Will my four primes improve in IQ also?

Rainer

Last edited by TKH; 11-04-2009 at 10:36 AM.
11-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
A little problem. The car insurance change from my sweethearts car brought a little cash in my pocket...

Just enaugh to go from K20D to K7 in my photo-bag.

So would it be a good idea to spend the money quick before my wife will grap it for shoes and a new handbag??

Will my four primes improve in IQ also?

Rainer
Improvement in IQ is not the reason to upgrade to the K-7.

Improvement in handling is.
11-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Rainer, I own the K-7 and I would caution against expecting higher IQ and I'll explain why. The higher the megapixels, the higher the demand of the lens for a 100% pixel view. If you're a pixel peeper, you're not going to see _higher_ image quality just because you increase the sensor density. With that said, if you print very large photos, they you can expect higher quality since the resolution allows for higher density pixels and therefore higher quality prints compared to a lower-resolution sensor. Pixel peeping has ruined digital photography for a lot of people and it is totally irrelevant for normal photos.

What I really like about the K-7 is the great Auto white balance, the incredible build quality and handling, and of course the compact size when combined with the LTD lenses. If you're just after higher IQ, that comes with technique more than simply upping the sensor density. Just my 2.
11-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_A Quote
Rainer, I own the K-7 and I would caution against........
[SNIP]
higher_ image quality just because you increase the sensor density.
K20D and K-7 has the same pixel density.

11-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #5

hey its better off being invested in something useful rather than letting it get wasted on shoes and bags and jackets
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Igilligan

If you got the K20 already... pick up the Kx. At least you will see an improvement in HI ISO.
11-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

For the record, though, I don't regret upgrading to my K-7 at all.
11-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have both, and at high ISO, I still pick up the K20D. The K-7 is very innovative and comfortable, but the K20D is like an old pair of slippers. Nothing feels like it.

11-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

why people like the K-7 :

here are some of the actual facts that would make you love the K-7

1. faster AF, more keepers or in-focus photos ratio
2. AWB
3. lowlight performance is really strong and lenses don't tend to hunt as often as the K20D.
4. small body, really cute and nice for small hands.
5. lighter than the K20D, I hate weights.
6. DA LTD's work like magic in the K-7. e.g. DA40 <<< I don't have this but tried.
7. some legacy or classic Pentax lenses look like magic in the K-7. e.g. A 50 1.2. I nailed a lot of shots using such difficult lens. btw, I got the hang of it so it's easy as shooting blindfold for me.
8. did I say that it's fast ?
9. I haven't used LV or Movie mode much, so that would make you think how good this camera is without those features.
10. I know that Movie mode is a big plus, and so does LV when magnification is used for in-depth detail shooting of a distant subject.

sorry, I forgot to mention 100% OVF !!! that would give you the exact dimension of what you are looking and shooting at the same time !!!

Last edited by Pentaxor; 11-04-2009 at 11:33 PM.
11-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #10
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your nice input.

Since three month I put my hands again and again on the K7. Really a great camera. But.
I dont makes click in my head. I hope you know what I mean. Im very sure that the K7 is the best DSLR that Pentax ever made. But Im not sure if its the right camera for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I have both, and at high ISO, I still pick up the K20D. The K-7 is very innovative and comfortable, but the K20D is like an old pair of slippers. Nothing feels like it.
Yes. thats my feeling too. Since Pentax Germany modified my K20D with the bigger grip the K20D feels like born in my hand. The K7 isvery nice, but its a little uncomfortable for my fingers/hand.

For a few of Pentaxors points.

1. faster AF of the K7? I only shot landscape.
2. AWB I only shoot RAW.
8. did I say that it's fast ? My landscape doesnt hurry away.

10. I know that Movie mode is a big plus Movie mode is nor interesting for me.

So why buying a K7?
Isnt it better to put my money in glas?

Would it for example not be a better personal way to upgrade from M200 lens to DA200 in my four prime setup?

Sorry for stealing your time boys. But Im really a little crazy about not knowing if to go for the K7 or not.

Rainer
11-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
Damn Brit

Without seeing any of your pictures or knowing what kind of shots you take, it's impossible to advise. Are you that good that you have outgrown your K20 or are you just thinking of buying the K-7 because it is there?
The holiday season is coming, aren't there more important things you could be spending your money on like a gift for your wife for example?
11-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds to me like you'd be better going with some new glass or just saving for an upgrade. I think it makes a lot of sense to skip a generation. Photogs who jumped from the K10 to the K7 saw big improvements, the K20 not so much (unless you want video). Probably you would be wise to skip and get the camera that follows the K7...
11-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Thanks guys for your nice input.

Since three month I put my hands again and again on the K7. Really a great camera. But.
I dont makes click in my head. I hope you know what I mean. Im very sure that the K7 is the best DSLR that Pentax ever made. But Im not sure if its the right camera for me.

Yes. thats my feeling too. Since Pentax Germany modified my K20D with the bigger grip the K20D feels like born in my hand. The K7 isvery nice, but its a little uncomfortable for my fingers/hand.

For a few of Pentaxors points.

1. faster AF of the K7? I only shot landscape.
2. AWB I only shoot RAW.
8. did I say that it's fast ? My landscape doesnt hurry away.

10. I know that Movie mode is a big plus Movie mode is nor interesting for me.

So why buying a K7?
Isnt it better to put my money in glas?

Would it for example not be a better personal way to upgrade from M200 lens to DA200 in my four prime setup?

Sorry for stealing your time boys. But Im really a little crazy about not knowing if to go for the K7 or not.

Rainer
As someone who's upgraded from a K20 to a K-7 (with a few of the same lenses you have), I'd say if you only shoot landscape and aren't looking for a smaller body stick with the K20!

I love the faster AF on the screwdrive, and definitely get more opportunities and keepers on the K-7 with candids and action, but haven't noticed a real jump in IQ. I also used to shoot jpeg on the K20 and loved the way my settings turned out. The buffer's faster on the K-7, so I shoot raw now and tweak in Lightroom, but I still like how those K20 jpegs looked and could never get the same settings on the K-7.

Now what glass are you going to buy?
11-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good question...
User tczobretti will come on saturday for visit. He and his wife are also soccer fans like my wife and me. So we all four will sit around the tv with our club shirts and watch our Schalke team smaching their Bayern team. I hope he will be so shocked after the match that he will forgot his K7 in my home...

No. He brings his K7 and I will test around the whole afternoon. In his opinion the DA35 he used has improved a lot on the K7. The DA35 is my favourite lens and so he hit the point.

So the master-plan is:

I buy roses for my wife on friday. Saturday tczobretti comes. Sunday I order my new K7.
The DA200 I will buy than next year.

Sounds good eh...

Rainer
11-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #15
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Plan worked perfectly!
Wife is happy and my K7 is ordered...

Best,
Rainer