Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

After playing the with D40 this weekend........

I have concluded that I made the correct decision in getting the K100D. The Nikon is a bit smaller, has a rubberized thumb rest, and takes the cake when it comes to the UI, but the Pentax is better suited for those with big hands, has a noticeably faster AF, and costs less.

I did like how the D40 seemed to weigh less, and the user interface was lovely, but the slow AF is very irritating and the grip was awkward for me and my big hands. I did also like the viewfinder and the stuff you see on the viewfinder(the things that help show you the focus point of the picture). But that was about it. I've spent the weekend taking shots w/my Pentax and I love it but definitely need to keep practicing.

06-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the purchase and decision to go with Pentax! Compared to the K10D, however, the K100D really feels light- I myself prefer the K10 because it's much easier to hold and has many more external buttons.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Congratulations on the purchase and decision to go with Pentax! Compared to the K10D, however, the K100D really feels light- I myself prefer the K10 because it's much easier to hold and has many more external buttons.
Wow, that thing must feel like a brick!!!

I like my camera, I'm just a bit jealous of Nikon's interface, it's pretty sweet. But other than that I think I made the right choice. I didn't think I'd want or need to get any other glass than the kit lens, but after taking some pics at the Sacramento Monarchs opening game this saturday I realized I do need something a bit more powerful.
06-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations!

I have the k100d also and it suits me well. I actually think the interface is quite straightforward and quickly learned. I guess if you are used to another make theres a bit of a transition. I hope you enjoy it.

Regards

06-04-2007, 04:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aanund Quote
I have the k100d also and it suits me well. I actually think the interface is quite straightforward and quickly learned.
This is, although it sounds a bit odd, actually part of the problem. The interface is designed to be non-intimidating, and as such sacrifices day-to-day convenience for experienced users in exchange for having a reduced learning curve. Not surprising at the entry-level price point, but there's a few things they could have added as options in the customization menu that would have let us eat that cake and still have faster operation. (Oh for a less-fiddly way to set white balance!)
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #6

DA 50-200 for more power

Dear rkf76, for more power, I went with the Pentax DA 50-200mm zoom and I am very happy. It's about the same size as the kit zoom lens. Great price, plus there was a rebate deal on when I got mine. Check the Pentax site, they came out with another rebate plan a few weeks back.
Steve
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I just returned from Staples which has a Nikon D40 on display. I was pleased to find it had a power cable, as well as a theft cable. So I snapped some photos in the well lit store. It had a "kit lens" similar to the range of my Pentax. Indeed, sometimes the Auto Focus was slow. Other times it refused to focus. That could be operator error, but all I did was press the shutter and the camera would occasionally take a bad photo.

I did not examine the menus, but I did notice it was labeled CoolPix. Now I have a Coolpix 850 high end Point and Shoot. It has simple menus but as mattdm mentioned, that camera is limited by the menu choices. I always need distant focus (Mountain mode) and timer together. The menu lacks that choice. You can get there with an awkward undocumented multi button sequence, but the Coolpix forgets the setting after every shot. Yes, simple menus can be very irritating.
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atnbirdie Quote
Dear rkf76, for more power, I went with the Pentax DA 50-200mm zoom and I am very happy. It's about the same size as the kit zoom lens. Great price, plus there was a rebate deal on when I got mine. Check the Pentax site, they came out with another rebate plan a few weeks back.
Steve
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check up on that one as it sounds like it's just what I need.

06-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rkf76 Quote
It does, but you quickly get used to it. I have the grip and magnifying eye piece on mine and IMO it looks like a camera, like I mean business. When I pick up the K110D it feels like a toy, I can't even imagine what the D40 would feel like to me. Prolly like a kids toy.
06-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rkf76 Quote

I like my camera, I'm just a bit jealous of Nikon's interface, it's pretty sweet. But other than that I think I made the right choice. I didn't think I'd want or need to get any other glass than the kit lens, but after taking some pics at the Sacramento Monarchs opening game this saturday I realized I do need something a bit more powerful.
It feels like two bricks. I enjoy my K10D, but I when I travel I take my svelt DS2.

Jer
06-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Have both the DS and K10D. Which ever camera is being used at the time feels just right. Love the K10D/grip combo. Most comfortable grip in my small hands. Camera feels like you could take on the world. Love the small size of the DS. So light and responsive. Like driving a MG or Mazda Miata. No extra stuff - just whats needed. Both great cameras. Different personalities. A real Pentaxian needs one version of each.
thanks
barondla