Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Jadran:

You mentioned ... Since you are using CS4, you could try to open Raw files directly in Photoshop, it will open Adobe Camera Raw module, which is same as Adobe Lightroom..
I did try ACR a few times but I still prefer using the Pentax utilities ... strange? I find the RAW "developing" easier to work with than with ACR from within CS4.

Yes the Old School of film! ... I am not a pixel peeper, by any means, but I do like to have very sharp rendering, especially with bird photography.
You had the K10D? Did you sell it/exchange it? I am asking because I am planning to keep at least my K20D and give the K10D to my son. So, that means I will likely have a little confusion in handling both cameras on any outing because of the way the different controls are located. Did you have any problem(s) to adjust to that?

JP

11-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Kittykat:
You said you use Silkypix 4.0 for RAW development ...? Isn't that one of Pentax utilities?
Yes, and no. The Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4, which comes with the K-7 (or other earlier versions) is powered by Silkypix, but its a stripped down version of the software.

The full version has a lot more capabilities, including some very good noise reduction controls.

I guess I won't mind the supposedly noisy high ISO levels (3200 or so) of the K7 that much because, as I mentioned earlier, I shoot mostly (95% of the time) well under 1600. Of course, it occasionally happens that under some very low lighting conditions that I wish for more IQ at higher ISO's.
So, A4 would be around 8 1/2 x 11 ... thanks for the conversion. I want to have some shots printed on larger formats so I suppose that with a bit of "noise control" and the proper printing techniques it shouldn't be a problem even at 1600 ISO ... 3200 maybe?
Talk soon.
JP
The K-7 at ISO1600 prints out nicely. ISO3200 needs a bit more aggressive NR, but still very usable. I'll post some examples latter, but there's plenty you can see elsewhere in this forum.
11-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kittykat ... thanks for the reply.
I have to take a look at this software then. I'll also try to find some sample shots at high ISO somewhere here. If you do have sample shots, by all means post them!
Cheers.
JP
11-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Jadran:

You mentioned ... Since you are using CS4, you could try to open Raw files directly in Photoshop, it will open Adobe Camera Raw module, which is same as Adobe Lightroom..
I did try ACR a few times but I still prefer using the Pentax utilities ... strange? I find the RAW "developing" easier to work with than with ACR from within CS4.
It was just a suggestion. I didn't use Pentax utility, maybe I shuld try it.

QuoteQuote:

You had the K10D? Did you sell it/exchange it? I am asking because I am planning to keep at least my K20D and give the K10D to my son. So, that means I will likely have a little confusion in handling both cameras on any outing because of the way the different controls are located. Did you have any problem(s) to adjust to that?

JP
Unfortunately, my K10 fell down and tumbled on some pretty nasty stones, so it's broken (In fact, only critical damage is that SD card reader connector on mainboard broke) It took me about a week to adjust to K-7 layout. But, if you re using booth cameras, that could be confusing.

11-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jadran:
Yeah ... getting used to two different cameras on one single photography session could be troublesome. I'll have to keep this in mind before I make a final decision.
For RAW ... Pentax Utilities (Browser and Lab) do the job just fine. Since I don't tweak my pics too much, that is good enough for me. Then there's always CS4 for further PP if necessary.
Gosh! Too bad for the K10D!
JP
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #21

Bonsoir,

High ISO noise was a key point for updating my K10D for a K-7 :ugh:.

On a series of tests on high ISO, first results show that image quality is stunning till iso400, artefacts are barely visible at iso800 and noise is visible starting iso1600. Super-high iso6400 is an option.

I even compared the built-in noise reduction modes with noise reduction post-processing. IMHO, difference is not significant but it may be a question of taste.

There are so many options to explore and play with on the Pentax K-7 I created a website with an extensive K-7 user review.

Enjoy
11-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rei_vilo Quote
Bonsoir,
High ISO noise was a key point for updating my K10D for a K-7 :ugh:.
On a series of tests on high ISO, first results show that image quality is stunning till iso400, artefacts are barely visible at iso800 and noise is visible starting iso1600. Super-high iso6400 is an option.
I even compared the built-in noise reduction modes with noise reduction post-processing. IMHO, difference is not significant but it may be a question of taste.
There are so many options to explore and play with on the Pentax K-7 I created a website with an extensive K-7 user review.
Enjoy
I am looking forward to the K7 which I recently ordered!
As far as noise is concerned, I have now made up my mind: because I rarely shhot above 1000 ISO, that shouldn't be a problem. Even if it was, there's always a way to remove the noise, without much "lissage" (translation?) with Helicon Filter or/and NoisewarePro.