Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #1

Pentax K-7 LCD picture review screen question

I have a noob question. Every time I review pictures with the back LCD those parts of the photos that are black appear as throbbing pixelated yellow and bright white sections show as red. Is this normal? Has anyone else noted this? I tried looking it up and the OM indicates that the LCD may have artifact but this is quite extensive.

11-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pkoz Quote
I have a noob question. Every time I review pictures with the back LCD those parts of the photos that are black appear as throbbing pixelated yellow and bright white sections show as red. Is this normal? Has anyone else noted this? I tried looking it up and the OM indicates that the LCD may have artifact but this is quite extensive.
That lets you know where the blown highlights are and underexposed parts of the picture are. You can take it off, but I personally find it quite use full.
11-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
humm i see a few blue dots all over the place on the darkest parts of frame..
11-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Your answer is to be found in about a dozen places in the manual, most of them very brief mentions. From page 28 of the English manual:
Areas affected by bright or dark portions blink if [Bright/Dark Area] warning is set to (On) in [Playback Display Method] in the [Playback 1] menu.
Page 29 mentions:
Bright portions blink red on the monitor and dark portions blink yellow when [Bright/Dark Area] is (On).
There's also a mention of the menu items around page 213 / 215, but it doesn't describe what the setting actually does as succinctly as the above pages.

11-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for helping. I guess I just found the manual too overwhelming.
11-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to everyone for helping. I guess I just found the manual too overwhelming.
This is why forums like this exist.
11-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's quite understandable! While I've seen a lot worse, the K-7's manual could also be quite a bit better laid out.

I highly recommend downloading a PDF copy of the manual from Pentax's website. It's at least easier to do a few searches through a PDF document, rather than thumbing through the manual struggling to find mention of a particular issue you're having or question you want answered.

And yes, this forum's a great resource too. Lots of friendly folks here!