Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Check it:

The K1000 was a legendery SLR. I have one myself. Pentax DSLRs started with the *istD.
A wierd name IMHO. SR became available with a DSLR named K100D. Not with the previous DSLRs. K1000 =yesterday; K100D= today. And then there was the *Super* That was the first thing that came to my mind when it was released. Maybe that is the angle Steave is referring to...............
You are definitely close.

Things I like about my K100ds:
The size is perfect.
The weight is perfect.
In viewfinder focus points, top LCD, cable release socket. Take that K-x!
Wonderful 6MP sensor with SR and SDM support. what's not to love?

And one more thing - I LIKE that it's a bit slow. Unlike my k10d, it makes me pause just enough to think about what I'm doing before i take the shot. It's almost requires the discipline of a film camera, with the convenience of having your shots instantly on a memory card. There is no machine gunning with this camera!

Edit: In all fairness though, the K-x seems like the first real replacement for the K100ds. Of course I never fell in love with the 10MP sensor.

11-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
You are definitely close.

Things I like about my K100ds:
The size is perfect.
The weight is perfect.
In viewfinder focus points, top LCD, cable release socket. Take that K-x!
Wonderful 6MP sensor with SR and SDM support. what's not to love?

And one more thing - I LIKE that it's a bit slow. Unlike my k10d, it makes me pause just enough to think about what I'm doing before i take the shot. It's almost requires the discipline of a film camera, with the convenience of having your shots instantly on a memory card. There is no machine gunning with this camera!

Edit: In all fairness though, the K-x seems like the first real replacement for the K100ds. Of course I never fell in love with the 10MP sensor.
Yup! You are right. The other stuff you covered does make a ton of sense!
11-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
If image quality is the principle criteria, the new K-x is the best Pentax camera ever.
Best? My Pentax 67 still takes a better picture than my K-7. So I say Pentax's best camera to date is the 67.
11-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #19
Forum Member

I have nothing with which to compare it, but I know I'd like movie mode and live view and 10MP for a bit of crop room if necessary. I think the pics it produces are great though. Why am I seeing love for the K-X and not for the K-7? I think I need to read around here. Some early adopter problems?

11-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a K100, but not the S version. It was OK, but I never fell in love with it. Strangely enough, when I got the K10, it felt perfect. I just couldn't stop shooting! Sure, I had to limit my high iso shooting with it, but everything else just felt better to me.
11-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I had a K100, but not the S version. It was OK, but I never fell in love with it. Strangely enough, when I got the K10, it felt perfect. I just couldn't stop shooting! Sure, I had to limit my high iso shooting with it, but everything else just felt better to me.
It is a fine camera as well; Pentaxes' first flagship since the *istD. I would campare it to the next step up to the K1000 back in the day. I ain't sure what that was; the LX maybe?
11-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only camera that tempted me after the K100DS was the K20D. When I bought the K20, I kept the K100DS for its AA batteries, small size and lovely colours. I replaced the K100's neck strap with a wrist strap, and I carry it around like a chunky p&s.

11-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tough question. I just sold mine but that may have been a big mistake: it'll probably be really valuable in five or ten years (you know: Dadipentak's First DSLR!!) Seriously, it is a great camera--actually made me believe I could take photographs.
11-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I gotta disappoint you Steve,
the best and greatest and mightiest (and so on) of them all is of course the K100D - accidently that is the camera I am using since around two years.

Not so accidently did I choose it for manual focus work and good JPG engine. Turns out it was a good choice.

Color Bomb x 2: CZJ MC 2.4/35 Flektogon full open 1/15sec. handheld ISO200 on K100D no crop no PP jpg-out-of-the-cam ('neutral' + all sliders zero + daylight WB)

I'm curious about that K-X thingie.
Georg (he who buys the camera whistles its tune)

Last edited by J.Scott; 12-16-2009 at 04:23 PM.
11-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
the best and greatest and mightiest (and so on) of them all is of course the K100D - accidently that is the camera I am using since around two years.

Not so accidently did I choose it for manual focus work and good JPG engine. Turns out it was a good choice.

Color Bomb x 2: CZJ MC 2.4/35 Flektogon full open 1/15sec. handheld ISO200 on K100D no crop no PP jpg-out-of-the-cam ('neutral' + all sliders zero + daylight WB)

I'm curious about that K-X thingie.
Georg (he who buys the camera whistles its tune)
Well, since they are twins I guess I'll allow that.

Last edited by J.Scott; 12-16-2009 at 04:23 PM.
11-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #26

Love the K100ds. For vacations I usually carry two cameras: K200d w/Tamron 70-300mm+1.4x converter for birds, and a K100ds w/28-300mm Tamron for everything else (and as a super small & light one camera option if necessary). It remains a very viable product with that sweet 6mp sensor.
11-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Shots from my first DSLR! K100DS == a Pentax Classic, IMO.

It takes such good pictures, I can even recognize the specific fish!! They are the Como Park Conservatory fish, I do believe.
11-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Never had the Super, but a K100D was my first DSLR, which I sold (after ~25k shots) to trade up for a K20D. I know I should love the K20D more, but for some reason I just can't.

I feel like I got rid of a puppy after it stopped being cute. The K100D may have been slow as molasses and a pain to shoot with M lenses, but I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Those svelte 10MB raw files were nice, too.
11-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
the best and greatest and mightiest (and so on) of them all is of course the K100D
Said the guy without the DA 17-70mm.
11-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #30
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
K100D was my first dSLR ever. Will always be a first love, but sadly, time to move on...
I agree here

I had shot 2 K100D bodies for nearly 2 years.
It was (still is) great piece of camera. I have recently had chance to hold K-x. And I have to conclude: shame Pentax goes this way!!! It just felt so small and plasticky, just like low end EOS or Alpha cameras. When I first held K100D I fell in love with how great it felt compared to similarly priced Canons, maybe Nikon D50 was giving a run, but then SR and full backwards compatibility with lenses made it a winner IMO. I have never needed more than 3fps and for what I was doing it was just a great camera. Just a tad small for my hands and sometimes the long writing speed was irritating. And I missed 2nd dial. That's why I went for K10 later or and my wife for GX20 half a year after me. That was the end of K100D for me. I sold them both.
Still it's a great camera and gave me huge amount of excellent pictures. It has great IQ, very good high ISO, robust build....
all in all, maybe not the greatest DSLR ever made, but I'd say it's like DA40ltd: very reasonably priced, very capable and hugely underrated!