Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just have to say- yes, my first DSLR, a K100DS. As others have stated, the backwards lens compatibility and built-in SR were what attracted me to the system from the onset.

I had learned on Canon gear in high school in the 80's (AE1), and had a Canon P&S. But when it came time to move to DSLR, The K100DS was exactly in my budget range.

I think I'll shoot this camera until the shutter dies- even then, I may see about getting it fixed! I love it to bits. Not knowing what I do now when I bought it, but I just love the decent ISO 800 performance, 1600 in a pinch with NR gives great results.

I won't even get into all the FUN I've had getting classic glass and outstanding results! A Katz-Eye later, and I have only purchased 1 AF lens. Just way too much fun to have these incredible lenses that I have come across for great deals!

The missing second dial doesn't hurt me that much- although I'd love to have it- but I find I've gotten pretty adept at menu flipping in a pinch.

The slow buffer, though, is annoying when shooting raw. But, I have to say, it takes away the chimp factor, and I tend to shoot more instead of eying every shot.

Fit is perfect for me, ergonomically- so, nope, I won't sell it, esp. at this point since it has a lot more value to me personally than the 200.00 I could get for it!

I consider it MY greatest camera ever..

11-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really enjoyed my K100D. As with some of the other folks here, it was my 1st DSLR.

I think one of the aspects of the K100D that really contributed to my growth as a photographer (such as I am) was the relatively slow AF. If I wanted to capture a BIF, for instance, I couldn't just point the camera at the bird and rely on AF tracking. I actually had to carefully scrutinize the bird's actions, look for patterns while in flight and gestures while on the ground indicating impending flight. I learned a lot that way.
11-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I bought myself a K20D expecting to sell my K100DS to cover some of the cost, but could never bring myself to sell it. It reallly shines at ISO 800
11-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I really enjoyed my K100D. As with some of the other folks here, it was my 1st DSLR.

I think one of the aspects of the K100D that really contributed to my growth as a photographer (such as I am) was the relatively slow AF. If I wanted to capture a BIF, for instance, I couldn't just point the camera at the bird and rely on AF tracking. I actually had to carefully scrutinize the bird's actions, look for patterns while in flight and gestures while on the ground indicating impending flight. I learned a lot that way.
Now this is exactly what I'm talking about! The K100d requires the computer inside your head. Consequently the photos come out more unique and with a higher average quality.

11-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Great thread Steave! I just shot a bunch of macros with mine...... A lot of keepers this time as I am trying new techniqeus.
11-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
It takes such good pictures, I can even recognize the specific fish!! They are the Como Park Conservatory fish, I do believe.
Yes they are!
11-07-2009, 02:49 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Give me your opinions please, as long as they fall into one of the two above catagories!
Undeniably the greatest ever DSLR! It's the only one I have had
I never held a camera having a more comfortable sculptured rubber grip.
All the rest are just top notch design and execution. (Lack of real) auto iso is the major weakness for me.

11-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Yes they are!
I must admit thier greedy nature clued me in, as well.
11-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #39

I started with a K1000 + K55/2 + K150/4 when I was 15 years old back in the 70ies. This used to be my dream of a camera for many, many years.

When it came to DSLR I started with a K-m and a K200d. Both didn't really suit my ideas of what my camera ought to be good at - the K-m made awesome photographs up to ISO 400, but then terribly failed on higher isos. The K200d was ok but lacked the good temper in metering plus also failed in high iso > 400. My wife was gladly taking over the Km, the K200d was kept for replacement, because at that point I bought the K100DS, so did retro-buying. I did not regret that for one single second. Its marvellous metering, its splendid high-iso behaviour, its accessibility of all important features, its perfect size - all is honey to the bear for me, so for me, it is simply the best camera I've ever had, the legendary K1000 included (2nd in the game).

I had a GX20 for a couple of months which I've sold because it was too much of an hassle to deal with - and its jpgs were far from having the quality of the K100dS. K100dS + FA 35 as well as K100dS + Tamron 28-75 are absolute dream combos!

So, it is best and greatest for ever!

Last edited by J.Scott; 12-16-2009 at 04:22 PM.
11-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #40
Forum Member

I got the K100D as my first DSLR and learned a lot from it. But the dust issues (I was shooting a lot in dusty environments) drive me mad. I ended up giving the camera and both kit lenses to a friend who adores it.
I move to the Oly e410 and a 510.
Excellent cameras the both of them and I am keeping them.
But, I missed the relative ease of focus using the K100D Manual focus assist (I have a bag of takumars my Dad gave me)
And the there is something really quite special about the jpeg engine on the 100; a delicacy of color and shading that I missed terribly.
So when Wolf camera had a huge close-out sale I got a K100D Super body and now it has my 50mm FA virtually welded to it. I love its rendering.

There may be faster and more refined cameras, Pentax or whatever, but I love my K100D Super.

Last edited by J.Scott; 12-16-2009 at 04:22 PM.
12-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
In viewfinder focus points, top LCD, cable release socket. Take that K-x!
Exactly. That takes the K-x out of the race, in particular if it has a plasticky feel about it.

EDIT: Is anyone else so crazy about the solid doors on the K100D(s) as I am? I hate the flabby rubber thingies they put on most cameras (including the K-7. ). I'd love to have a K-7 but that rubber door would always be a sting in the flesh...

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
the best and greatest and mightiest (and so on) of them all is of course the K100D
So true. As we all know, Pentax SDM lenses are basically just MF lenses with a temporary (say a year's worth) AF function. The SDM lens models which also have a screw drive will still AF on a K100D whereas the K100DS with its SDM capability won't try to turn the screw.

Also, the K100D has the convenient keystroke access to the AF fine adjustment. The K100DS' firmware blocked that entry. For a long time it didn't allow AF fine tuning at all. With the availability of the new "MODSET file on SD card" debug mode entry method, the K100DS may have gained AF fine adjustment as well, but I'm not sure.

BTW, that is a very fine image, Georg!

I still fondly remember writing my K100D love letter.

Last edited by Class A; 12-16-2009 at 01:43 PM.
12-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I haven't handled a K-x yet, but that will definitely be a factor in my decision. I'll also need to take some comparative photos to study, and not just at high ISO. There's no doubt that the K100DS sets the bar pretty high for IQ within its limits.
I can tell you that the K100d feels MUCH better than the K-x. The K-x feels a bit cramped.
12-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #43
Veteran Member

As a camera that didn't have a firmware upgrade..it must've been perfect!
I'm loving it and it is my first DSLR which I still have to use for 1 year.
Got it at the first quarter of this year and I must say that it was a very good choice and a very good purchase!
I'm toying with the idea of the K-x but that is still in the future and I would definitely still keep the K100Ds.
12-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #44
Pentaxian

There have been lot's of great Pentaxes throughout the year. The K100D is just another in a long line:
  • Pentax Spotmatic
  • Pentax ES/ ES 11- electronic metering back in the early '70's
  • Pentax K2
  • Pentax MX
  • Pentax LX
  • Pentax K100D
  • Pentax K10D
  • Pentax KX
  • Pentax K7
  • Pentax 6 X 7
12-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpup Quote
I can tell you that the K100d feels MUCH better than the K-x. The K-x feels a bit cramped.
And plasticky. It really feels cheaply made compared to a K100DS.