Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #61
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some nice shots here and great reading.
I started with K100D in October '06. In spring '07 we bought 2nd body for my wife.
It was a great camera, and gave some fantastic shots. But my heart was always set on K10. When I finally got it in November '08 I never looked back.
I like it more than K100 in every single way.
My wife's K100 went in summer '09 when she got crazy deal on GX20. Now, I preferred K100 colours over GX20 but otherwise, no competition and with RAW is' easy fix.
to sum it up, K100D is truly excellent camera but I'd take K10D over it at any time.

BR
Peter

12-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If I'm not mistaken, the K-7 is even a tiny bit smaller.
From handling a K-7 in a store, I knew it was larger, but I'm surprised at how close they are.

K100D(& Super)... 129 x 91 x 71 mm
K-7....................... 131 x 97 x 73 mm
12-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K100D was my first dSLR, and a great little camera to learn photography.
I now have a K-7 and haven't looked back as it's a far superior camera in every aspect, but I have to admit at first I had a hard time getting colors I liked from the K-7. They're actually not bad but just different. And I just love how the K100D renders the colors (yes, even the yellow/orange tint in low light )
I just gave it to my father, so it will still take nice pictures for a long time.
12-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #64

That's a feature; it is there for you to train your previsualisation skills.

I guess a K-7 with a batter grip for a K100D used market price would do for me.
You could always run it in "6MP" mode, to get your preferred image size back.

On second thought, the stinkin' K-7 doesn't support tethered shooting (at least not currently). Another big plus for our K100D(s).
Hi,
I'm using again my k100D super after some months of laziness and I'm happy to read so much nice things about it (I found this forum looking for a good lens for it).

A question here, how do you shoot tethered with it? I couldnt find any software (but I'm a mac user)

thanks

12-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #65
Pentaxian

For those of you who find the K100D's colours to differ from the K20D/K-7, could you please attempt to describe how they differ? Is it a different overall colour temperature or are the greens more bluish, or ...?

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
From handling a K-7 in a store, I knew it was larger, but I'm surprised at how close they are.
Thanks for the correction.

EDIT: Initially I wrote that I thought I had less space on the K-7's grip compared to the K100D. I was wrong. After briefly handling the K-7 again, I'm happy to report that the grip isn't smaller than the K100D's.

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
A question here, how do you shoot tethered with it?
Not sure it also runs on a Mac, but there is "Remote Assistant" (available as a download from the Pentax website). I find I have to set the image format to "RAW" in the camera to make it work.

Last edited by Class A; 01-30-2010 at 06:32 PM.
12-31-2009, 05:27 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a K100 any more, but I find that my K20 photos are warmer than either my K10 or K100 produced. I thought that the K10 and K100 were pretty similar as far as temperature.
12-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Today I had a shock. I thought my K100D was broken. It seemed completely unresponsive. I then figured it was fine, just took ages to write files to the card. What happened? I had exchanged my SanDisk 4GB Ultra II card with an ordinary SanDisk 256 MB card (yes, this size does exist ). Writing to this card was at least 3x times slower.

Even with a fast card the K100D is not a speed king, but I'm wondering what cards you used yours with. With a slow card the camera becomes pretty much unbearable.
Either Ultra II or class 6 cards (class 6 cards are a littl efaster in my experience). Still just painfully slow compared to never cameras, it drove my wife insane.

12-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #68
Veteran Member

My daughter just got a white K-X, and it does have some really cool things going for it. I love the lcd and how it previews different wb settings etc... and the high iso is very usable. Haven't really had a chance to really look at everything on it (after all it is daughter's).

The funny thing: daughter had to give back the K100D I'd given her. She had a hard time doing so. And I am very happy to have the K100D back in my paws.

One thing I like is the battery thing: we just have a bunch of eneloops and everything is fine, and will be fine in 5 years time... 10 years time... as long as they make AA batteries.

The K100D is slow, yes, but not slower than a traditional film camera. It does auto focus well enough for my purposes, but is a wonderful platform for manual focus. It is right sized, and more importantly right proportioned and weigthed, it just feels good to use.

I can forgive most of the omissions in the K-X save one: why delete the remote release?
12-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't have a K100 any more, but I find that my K20 photos are warmer than either my K10 or K100 produced. I thought that the K10 and K100 were pretty similar as far as temperature.
That's odd, because I would say the opposite. The K100DS photos are too yellow (warm), K20D is a bit to the blue (cool) side.
12-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That's odd, because I would say the opposite. The K100DS photos are too yellow (warm), K20D is a bit to the blue (cool) side.

I agree, the 100D is warmer.
12-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #71
Inactive Account

I wasn't personally all that impressed by it when I was researching digitals.
01-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #72
Veteran Member

I remember coming from film, and investigating DSLR. The refined 6MP sensor in the K100D Super, for sure can deliver. And how people were talking about clean and good looking Iso 3200 was extraordinary. The *ist Ds had pentaprism, so also had some things going for it.
I like my K10, but miss the higher Iso possible with the K100D Super

QuoteOriginally posted by abraham_love Quote
I have nothing with which to compare it, but I know I'd like movie mode and live view and 10MP for a bit of crop room if necessary. I think the pics it produces are great though. Why am I seeing love for the K-X and not for the K-7? I think I need to read around here. Some early adopter problems?

Sweet looking shot, what did you do for lighting ?

Regarding K7 vs. Kx, the latter has better high iso. And the K7 is just shy of the K20, when it comes to high Iso; so there was some disappointment there. But it has a lot of other things going for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I took the K100D to a party tonight.
I don't normally use flash or AF so it was interesting to wack on the kit lens and blast away in Av.
My goodness what a bunch of well exposed shots, white balance spot on and fast flash recycling.
And fielding the usual "is that a digital Pentax ?" questions was fun. Yes and it will mount every Pentax lens ever made and shake reduced as well
The only thing I'd change is the glacial image reviewing.

That 6MP sony sensor is a sweet spot for image making.
Pentax haven't made the model I would replace it with yet .
Pete

Tamron 52BB SP90 at f11
Cool looking shot. did you do anything special regarding lighting ?