Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't shot with my K100D since I got the K7. I keep telling my self that I will sell it but everytime i see the images taken with it I know that I can never sell it.

I don't want to be a collector but I just can't part with it. It is 'the little camera that COULD!'.

mike

12-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I haven't shot with my K100D since I got the K7. ... I don't want to be a collector but I just can't part with it.
You can.
If you really don't use it anymore, let someone else use it! Or keep it as a second body for events, but you've got to be serious about this.
12-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I don't want to be a collector but I just can't part with it. It is 'the little camera that COULD!'.
mike
Gee i'd call it the little camera that can't unless it has a lot of time. IQ was great and all that but dear me is the thing non-responsive. As a RAW shooter it was just horrible.

I haven't so much as looked at my 100D since gettign a 20D but I miss the size.
12-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Like I said, I know i should sell it. But what would i get for it? Peanuts?
For the Peanuts I would rather keep it.

I am a RAW shooter and the speed of the K100d was a PITA but the end result was always worth it.

Sure it was slow. But other than missing a 2nd dial it was great. It has a cable release socket and in-viewfinder focus points. Other than having to access the menus a bit too much it could do everything that much larger and more expensive cameras could.

Cameras will always become faster... but will IQ always improve?

mike

12-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This made for great reading, thank`s everyone, will keep shooting the K100D till something better than Kx or K7 shows up.

Cheers, Mike.
12-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Some great shots here!

Having bought a K-x to replace my K100D, I must say that the 100D seemed to be providing better IQ! I'll have to do a comparative test to be sure, but I'm just not all that blown away by the K-x images.

The K100D felt like a machine, whereas the K-x feels like a computer. I don't miss the low light hunting AF though...
12-19-2009, 04:00 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took the K100D to a party tonight.
I don't normally use flash or AF so it was interesting to wack on the kit lens and blast away in Av.
My goodness what a bunch of well exposed shots, white balance spot on and fast flash recycling.
And fielding the usual "is that a digital Pentax ?" questions was fun. Yes and it will mount every Pentax lens ever made and shake reduced as well
The only thing I'd change is the glacial image reviewing.

That 6MP sony sensor is a sweet spot for image making.
Pentax haven't made the model I would replace it with yet .
Pete

Tamron 52BB SP90 at f11

12-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The only thing I'd change is the glacial image reviewing.
That's a feature; it is there for you to train your previsualisation skills.
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Pentax haven't made the model I would replace it with yet .
I guess a K-7 with a batter grip for a K100D used market price would do for me.
You could always run it in "6MP" mode, to get your preferred image size back.

On second thought, the stinkin' K-7 doesn't support tethered shooting (at least not currently). Another big plus for our K100D(s).

Last edited by Class A; 12-19-2009 at 04:43 AM.
12-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Gee i'd call it the little camera that can't unless it has a lot of time. IQ was great and all that but dear me is the thing non-responsive. As a RAW shooter it was just horrible.
Today I had a shock. I thought my K100D was broken. It seemed completely unresponsive. I then figured it was fine, just took ages to write files to the card. What happened? I had exchanged my SanDisk 4GB Ultra II card with an ordinary SanDisk 256 MB card (yes, this size does exist ). Writing to this card was at least 3x times slower.

Even with a fast card the K100D is not a speed king, but I'm wondering what cards you used yours with. With a slow card the camera becomes pretty much unbearable.
12-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #55
Forum Member

Last night I was testing my lenses on K20D and K100DS in low light situations.
It was not until then I realized why people kept saying K100DS was pretty good in low light situations. I am comfortable with using ISO800 on K100DS but not on K20D.

IMO, K100DS would have been a legendary DSLR if it came with the following items/functions in its feature packed nice small body:
1. penta prism (penta mirror is a pain after using K20D)
2. autofocus adjustment for individual lenses (especially for FA and FA limited lenses)
3. fine adjustment of white balance (it's always a bit yellowish, isn't it?)
4. genuine Pentax battery grip (just like K200D's)

In other words, I will most likely keep my K100DS until Pentax releases such small DSLR.
12-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaJP Quote
It was not until then I realized why people kept saying K100DS was pretty good in low light situations. I am comfortable with using ISO800 on K100DS but not on K20D.
What High ISO noise reduction setting are you using on the K20D (Line 18 in Custom menu)? I suspect you have it turned off if you're finding the K100DS is better. I compared with NR turned off on both cameras. The K20D was 2/3 stop better in my test. I shoot raw + jpeg with the Weak setting on the K20D. I find Strong messes with the colours.

I don't want to diss the K100DS in this thread, it's a great little camera, so I'll throw in a positive. The K100 understands my Sigma 530 Super flash better than my K20 does. If I'm going to use flash, I mount it on the K100DS with the big Travor grip and DA 18-250mm. This setup is very light compared to K20 + grip, extremely well balanced in my hands and far more reliable for exposure than the K20D + Sigma flash. The only real downsides to the K100DS are its slow frame rate and 6mp resolution. Neither is a factor for my flash photography. It's plenty faster than the flash recycle time. Resolution is fine with the 18-250 and I never have to crop from 6mp, because I can zoom right in to the proper frame size.
12-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #57
Veteran Member

IMO, K100DS would have been a legendary DSLR if it came with the following items/functions in its feature packed nice small body:
2. autofocus adjustment for individual lenses (especially for FA and FA limited lenses)

In other words, I will most likely keep my K100DS until Pentax releases such small DSLR.
The *ist D nails a couple of those features. #1 and #4, to be exact. Same sensor.
12-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #58

Is it true that the K100D SUPER Has No Orientation Sensor?

Does that mean I manually have to rotate the orientation of/re-write every photo not taken in landscape in software?

ie... any PORTRAIT photo, I have to rotate left or right...?

Is this true of every 6MP Pentax?

I got tired of rotating 1000s of photos on my old compact cameras....
12-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Yes, it is true there is no orientation sensor in the K100D Super, or any of the other 6MP cameras to my knowledge, or the K-m.
12-25-2009, 02:47 AM   #60
Pentaxian

am comfortable with using ISO800 on K100DS but not on K20D.
Odd, I thought ISO 1600 on the K20D was usable (with some noise reduction) but not on the K100D(s).

Is it really that much of a difference?

2. autofocus adjustment for individual lenses
Exists, if you are willing to adjust the AF fine tuning whenever you change the lens, or all your lenses require the same adjustment.

You could use the manual white balance.

I guess the aftermarket ones are not to your liking.

If I'm not mistaken, the K-7 is even a tiny bit smaller.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Same sensor.
But not the same JPG engine. For RAW shooters it will be fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
Is it true that the K100D SUPER Has No Orientation Sensor?
It has one in that the acceleration sensors for the shake reduction should be usable for this. However, the K100D(s) doesn't record the orientation of the camera when taking a photo.