Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 01:26 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Moin,

Beeing some kind of firmware engineer meself, I can assure you that they way requests for future upgrades are presented has a great impact on what you will get in the end. Please forgive me if some of this might sound childish, but experience and this thread show it might be appropriate:

- Be polite, even if some bug really annoys you
- Provide a detailed report on how to reproduce bugs
- Make a clear distinction between bug and feature request
- Mark the urgency of the bug - from minor UI spelling error to absolute shostopper
- Present all in a proper way using flyspray or the like, e.g. Arch Linux Bugtracker:: Arch Linux: Tasklist

Stefan

12-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

About this focus trap not working with AF set to AF-C...
Well, AF-C = AF continous. So a focus trap with AF set to AF-C would be a continous focus trap, and this would be utterly useless! The key idea with focus trap is to have a steady trap that triggers the focus when the subject enters the focus area.
So it is NOT A BUG that continous AF and focus trap is incompatible, it works at it should.
It makes perfect sense with single shot AF and focus trap and it makes no sense with continous AF and continous focus trap.

As for green button being an ISO button - the K-x already have a dedicated ISO button, why would it need more than one?

Now, the only enhancement I would like to see is an option to set spot meter with AE-L, like it worked on the MZ-6. You press AE-L, the camera sets spot meter and locks the exposure.
12-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #33

So glad they addressed the battery issue in the latest firmware update!

I haven't received mine yet so I'm not sure what I'd like in the firmware until I use it for a while, but I love the quality of SLR video so it would be great to address that.

Video improvements in order of importance:
  1. Select and fix sensitivity/ iso similar to aperture fix
  2. The green button can be assigned to start shooting video especially if keeping current settings or from digital preview
  3. Antialias Filter (should help fix moiré) but I assume reducing the sharpness or focus might help
  4. Select and fix shutter
  5. Selectable framerate ie 24p, 25p, 30p. I love 24p so this is no biggie but it could be an issue creating DVD's in your own country resulting in light flicker etc.

Stefan 16N64, if you are a firmware engineer do you think you are able to have a look at the latest release and see if you can make any of these wish list changes your self?

Last edited by fan22; 12-05-2009 at 10:49 AM.
12-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #34
Site Supporter

view # of shots remaining in the viewfinder

unless the new firmware zapped this feature, it's no longer available.
a look at the K-x's manual says that you can display ISO or shots remaining, however, there is nothing in the Custom menu to select this, unlike in the Km where custom menu 17 Display sensitivity was available.

is it done differently in the k-x?

anyone notice this?

12-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
view # of shots remaining in the viewfinder

is it done differently in the k-x?

anyone notice this?
The only time any shot remaining capacity shows up in the K-x viewfinder is immediately after you've taken a photo, where you see the remaining shots counter linger for a few seconds, and then the viewfinder goes back to showing the current ISO.

It would be handy to be able to toggle the display there between ISO and images remaining. You could do that in the K200D too via a menu option.

Obviously the remaining shot counter is also always visible on the rear display, but it is useful to see this in the viewfinder too in a more convenient way than having to fire off a shot.
12-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #36
Site Supporter

this feature was available in the k2000/km.
you can toggle between iso and shots remaining.

i find it hard to believe pentax would remove it!
12-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
About this focus trap not working with AF set to AF-C...
Well, AF-C = AF continous. So a focus trap with AF set to AF-C would be a continous focus trap, and this would be utterly useless! The key idea with focus trap is to have a steady trap that triggers the focus when the subject enters the focus area.
So it is NOT A BUG that continous AF and focus trap is incompatible, it works at it should.

It makes perfect sense with single shot AF and focus trap and it makes no sense with continous AF and continous focus trap.
Exactly - that is not a bug. The bug is that you can't change it from AF.C to AF.A or AF.S when you put on a MF lens. If you accidentally still have it on AF.C mode, in order to get trap-AF working, you need to re-mount an AF lens - quite annoying.

In addition, the AF/MF switch doesn't toggle trap-AF on and off as it should.
QuoteQuote:

Now, the only enhancement I would like to see is an option to set spot meter with AE-L, like it worked on the MZ-6. You press AE-L, the camera sets spot meter and locks the exposure.
Nice idea!
12-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #38

QuoteQuote:
- Higher resolution previews on LCD (when zooming in)
Yes this was a major disappointment coming from olympus.. the live view / zoom for fine manual focus on the pentax Kx is almost useless, the quality of the picture when zooming is so poor, focusing is more of a wild guess than anything

I do not know if it is any better on other Pentax dlsr
I hope this could be fix but I fear it might not

12-06-2009, 05:04 AM   #39
mor
Inactive Account

SR on/off assigned to green button is a must, instead of cross-processing anounced in the new firmware. I often work in mixed light conditions, turning SR on and off using the fastest way - info button makes me sick.

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Unfortunately, kittykat46, the motors that drive the shutter and the mirror assembly are mechanically linked, so the mirror is also flopping around producing noise during those shutter actions.
They cannot be linked, k-x can lock up mirror before opening it's shutter, just enable self timer.

Last edited by mor; 12-06-2009 at 05:10 AM.
12-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #40

Since they advertised the kx as having a timelapse feature they should include it in the next firmware.
12-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mor Quote
SR on/off assigned to green button is a must, instead of cross-processing anounced in the new firmware. I often work in mixed light conditions, turning SR on and off using the fastest way - info button makes me sick.

They cannot be linked, k-x can lock up mirror before opening it's shutter, just enable self timer.
They're still linked. There can be as much time as you wish between the mirror raising and the shutter firing, but every time the shutter opens, whether to make an exposure or to enter live view, the mirror has to raise (and drop first if it wasn't down already) first. It's mechanically linked to the shutter-winding mechanism. This is why, in live view, the shutter can't close and open to make an exposure without the mirror clacking around as well.

I definitely agree with you about the green button though.

fred, I can assure you that that's not a brand-specific problem. My old olympus (E-330) and canon 40D both had the same low-res preview problem. The K20D is the only camera I've owned so far that did it right, really.
12-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #42
Forum Member

In auto-iso, I'd like to set the minimum shutter speed, i.e. camera will bump up ISO to maintain the minimum shutter. Nikon DSLR's have this feature. I would use this to prevent blurring of moving subjects.

The current auto-exposure modes set minimum shutter speeds to the handhold shake limit with SR, a bit slower than 1/FL.
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
The bug is that you can't change it from AF.C to AF.A or AF.S when you put on a MF lens. If you accidentally still have it on AF.C mode, in order to get trap-AF working, you need to re-mount an AF lens - quite annoying.
Doesn't the manual says you have to set it to AF-S before attaching a MF lens? I'm sure I have read it there... so they know about it. And it is quite logical too.
With MF lens, AF functions are disabled. Quite logical, even if it is annoying.

QuoteQuote:
In addition, the AF/MF switch doesn't toggle trap-AF on and off as it should.
I haven't tested that yet, perhaps time to do it.
I'm sure I have a MF lens lurking around somewhere, even if I have sold off most of them... Oh, I can use my K extension tube of course. It turns every AF lens to MF.
12-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #44
Forum Member

digital filters and RAW+ mode

my wish is that a forthcoming firmware would allow to use digital filters while using RAW+ shooting mode: of course the filter would be applied to the jpeg only.

I found that the main reason why i don't use such (funny) filters is that i always want to have a RAW copy of the picture i'm shooting. So i use RAW or RAW+, while digital filter can be directly (i.e., while shooting) applied only to jpegs.
12-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #45
Forum Member

Would love to have them use better video compression such as h264 and autofocus during video. I can only dream