Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-7 came with a number of large bits of dust in there, though after I cleaned it with a rocket blower I haven't got anymore... yet... but actually all the cameras I have owned have tended to get dust in there from time to time (Pentax DS, D, K10d and Nikon D90)..

08-31-2010, 03:06 AM   #17
SPB

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-7 of a few weeks old currently has no dust inside. My K10 as previously mentioned in this thread had it from very early on in ownership. I have modified my way of changing lenses, and that is always to have the camera pointed downwards. Since I have done that, and change lens in an obviously not very dusty area, I have had no further issues with dirt.
09-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dust is inevitable. I had my Kx for about a month and had 4-5 very big pieces of dust inside the viewfinder. The were big enough to take up a good portion of the viewfinder so I removed it and cleaned it. About a week later I noticed a black spot on my pictures so I flipped up my mirror, blew it with a blower and it was gone. This was about 4 months ago and I have yet to get dust in either my viewfinder or sensor.

My rule of thumb is if the dust does not affect your pictures and does not take up considerable space on the viewfinder, just leave it be. You might be able to remove it but you can also make things much much worse, perhaps even damage your camera.
09-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Your not alone....

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Anybody else realize this? I think it's 'cuz there's a bigger gap from where the screen is to cover the pentaprism.

My older K2000 had a really tight screen with small gaps so dust never gets behind there. With my K-7, it seems like dust gets in there everytime I swap lenses no matter what. I have a piece of dust stuck inside my pentaprism now that I can't remove with rocket blower also.
All of my dSLRs had differing tendencies to collect dust in the OVF or really on the bottom/top of the focus screen or bottom of the prism (right above the focus screen). To make this (somewhat) short somehow there is differing static charges on the surfaces that makes your focus-screen or glass plate above the focus screen collect dust like a magnet; or(!) it could be a sticky area. Some form of oily substance got smeared on your focus screen or bottom of the prism.

How do I know? I have been through what you have been through for years. I live in a sever dust environment (smoggy Detroit area) with wet oily dust, pollen, you name it; every morning there is a layer of dust on my car ever since they put the new 696 freeway through 25 years ago as I live only a few hundred yards from it so??.... Its been a constant battle. But the battle has been won! Visible Dust makes all you need to keep your dSLR clean. And not just clean but stop or slow down your K-7 from collecting so much dust.

My K20D at first did not collect much dust at all on the focus-screen then it seemed everyday I changed a lens dust would get in the OVF. I cleaned it with my special brush made just for the focus-screen, prism and mirror but still was just cleaning all them time. I decided to give the focus-screen a wet clean with Visible Dusts recommended liquid and swab. Guess what it really worked!!! It put a anti-static barrier on my focus-screen and I don't get dust spots on it like I was everyday, now its back to normal (occasional it may get a small spot).

I have no connections with them at all, 0, none. Its just I don't of any manufacture that takes the time to make quality products that work, and work to clean everything possible in your dSLR. For a spotless sensor and view through the OVF. Also keep bulb blower use to a minimal. Use it softly, to blow off the bottom of your focus-screen and perhaps your sensor if it works for you. Me I only use it to occasional clean the bottom of my focus-screen and clean my lens and other things with it. Its a cameras worst enemy IMO because in some areas all your doing it blowing in more dust. People must assume others live in a very dusty area when giving advice. Its also why Visible Dust makes many products. You can use any method to clean you sensor, but only Visible dust can keep your whole dSLR clean that I know of.

OK no lie I have had my K20D since Feb 2009, I have (way too many) 39,000 clicks on it. I don't have any spots in the OVF. I have a clear view. Because I can clean it anytime I need to (yes sometimes it needs it). I don't have dust on my sensor ever (99.5% of the time).

BTW my Samsung GX10 bought some years ago was a dust magnet this is why I bought the ArticButterfly Travel kit, and special brush to clean the focus-screen and mirror (don't worry about the mirror) and bottom of the prism. This GX10 failed and Samsung had to send me a new one. Would you know it hardly every got dust in it compared to the first which was like a vacuum. At the time I could not figure that out.

My personal believe is when situations as yours occur its becuase some form of oily/sticky contamination is smeared across (but invisible to you!) the focus-screen of the bottom of the prism. Or there is a static charge built up, pulling dust in.

2nd BTW: All dust spots you can see in the OVF is on the focus-screen top or bottom (probably top if its sharp) and or on the bottom of the prism. Thats the glass plate right above the focus screen and is completely safe to clean. Be warned the focus-screen is made of the softest plastic I have every seen. I have years of experience, but to get here I ruined my fair share. Its just how can you live with big blobs of dust cutting 40% of your view through the OVF? You have been warned (and others).

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-02-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling
09-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another thread pulled from the ancient archives. I've had a spec somewhere in the viewfinder since month 2. I'm so use to it I don't even see it anymore. I figure if I ever change the screen, I'll deal with it then.

09-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have not noticed any dust in my viewfinder using my K-7 in Afghanistan and the camera is routinely covered in dust.

Sensor has remained clean as well for that matter and I've been cautious changing lenses but have done it in moving helicopters which are pretty windy.

Lee
09-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

To my experience with sheet-film holders, not that long ago, the environment should be kept dust free too. So, the (lens-) bag, the rear lens cap and eventually the rear of the lens and the body cap should be cleaned too. They all collect and hold dust that can be 'given' to the mirror box where the focusing screen and, by extension the shutter and sensor, is housed.
09-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
my K7 got 2 dust specks on the viewfinder, cant remove it, its annoying actually