Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Dynamic Range

Saw this over at DPreview.

QuoteQuote:
Reading the new review for the Canon 7D, I was surprised by this quote "The EOS 7D's overall performance is pretty much in line with the competition in this test. Having said that at 3.3 EV the new Canon delivers slightly less highlight range than the EOS 50D (3.5 EV) and the Nikon D300S (3.8 EV). The Pentax K-7 measures the highest overall dynamic range but at 2.9 EV delivers almost half a stop less highlight range than the EOS 7D, with little rolloff and therefore harsh clipping." edit add source link:

Canon EOS 7D Review: 17. Photographic tests (DR): Digital Photography Review

All compliments to the new 7D, it looks like a very fine camera. but I'm still happy to know how well the K-7 does if for only the one little mention above ;- )

I think it would be interesting if Pentax could have firmware with an additional setting(s) for different noise reduction types to try and reach these other cameras to some degree. Well, it would be interesting, wouldn't it :- ) Of course it can maybe be done in RAW, etc. but I'm not much up on all the intricate computer workings and the myriad in's and out's of pp, and tip my hat to those that know the ropes. edit add: Ok the comp seemed to wipe the floor on the higher ISO's, thats why I mentioned the FW. Wishful thinking?

11-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I always wondered about these dynamic range figures - if there is more DR for the K-7 but it's down low, cant it just be underexposed and beat the others in highlight range?

Or are these tests designed to test the metering as well? As far as I know, the light is always gathered linearly so EV is EV, whether it is up high or down low, even though down low has less bits, it can still be shifted through exposure.
11-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think they are concerned about highlight clipping. If Pentax would give us a software upgrade that showed RAW rather than JPG on the LCD, the histogram would be useful to prevent any clipping.