Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 17-70 exif data on K100D?

For some reason, my new lens shows up in the exif data as Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC, anyone else have this happen?

Julie

06-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #2

What sort of lens are you using and can you post example?
06-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hyson Quote
What sort of lens are you using and can you post example?
I'd assume since the OP says a sigma 17-70, that is what we are discussing. I don't ahve a k100, but I do have a 17-70 and a k10d, I'll ahve to check what it is being reported as. I know the distances seem to be right.
06-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Sigma (and I guess the other 3rd party lenses) just "guessed" on what code to place in the LensID field on the lens, so they will always be wrong (and sometimes refer to a Pentax lens!). I'd say not to worry about it and be glad that at least the focal length and aperture are reported correctly

06-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
I'd assume since the OP says a sigma 17-70, that is what we are discussing. I don't ahve a k100, but I do have a 17-70 and a k10d, I'll ahve to check what it is being reported as. I know the distances seem to be right.
Sorry friend, she says it "shows up AS a Sigma". That more or less means it's some other lens, not Sigma, feeding incorrect data to the camera.

I can see how a mistake like that could have been made, but be sure to fill us in on what else you can come up with.
06-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
thoughtfulchaos

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
For some reason, my new lens shows up in the exif data as Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC, anyone else have this happen?

Julie
Yep, does the same thing on my K10D. I was mildly concerned when I first saw that, but it still reports focal length properly so it's really a cosmetic issue.

-Nate
06-05-2007, 04:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I confused some of you, I meant that a Sigma 17-70 showed in exif as a Sigma 18-50. It's kind of funny, actually, to have it report a 70mm FL on a 18-50 lens! As I suspected, it's just something I'll just have to live with, the lens is wonderful in all other respects.

Julie

06-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My K100D (with Pentax Photo Lab) does NOT report the name (brand) of the 17-70mm Sigma lens. It displays the focal length correctly. I have the latest firmware installed (1.02, I think).
06-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
My K100D (with Pentax Photo Lab) does NOT report the name (brand) of the 17-70mm Sigma lens. It displays the focal length correctly. I have the latest firmware installed (1.02, I think).
Ditto for my Sigma 18-50 2.8 and Sigma 70-300 APO. I get three dashes in the lens name field, but eveything else is OK.
06-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the dark side...

Julie

Perhaps you will permit me to interject what I know about EXIF.

Like much of the digital world EXIF is a 'specification', a set of rules and procedures, maintained by committee-not commercial, not for profit. Some other 'specifications' of similar construction and maintenance are the JPEG file format-actually called JFIF by the committee in charge; the "ICC profiles" upon which so much color management and confusion are based and the list goes on...

The digital world is still very rapidly evolving and these committees don't meet very often, don't often agree to move forward when they do meet and, well, you should easily 'get the picture'.

Beyond the first few items in the EXIF-the camera data: date, shutter speed, aperture, flash fire and return detection and a few others---all standardized to some extent by camera manufacturers before the committee formed, all the extras, should be viewed with a certain skepticism, even dis-belief!

It's really too bad so few pentaxians have much historical perspective-it's entirely the fault of Pentax's slow development in the digital world, but...
Very few people with long digital histories put much faith in EXIF data. It's often wrong, easily hacked and frankly more of a pain in the seat than any significant aid to the photographer.

I know of one web-site where the authorities behind the site actively encourage the EXIF be removed-completely! It, the EXIF, in particular one particular interpretation and implementation of the 'specification' performed by the group of manufacturers on one side of the specification committee actually interferes with the websites thumb-nailing algorithm. In the process of submitting photographs a thumbnail is generated that displays as a pink/lime-green inversion of the original photo.

Certain malformed EXIF blocks are also thought to be the cause of upload failures and other similar problems. There appear to be whole networks in the internet that routinely scan files for EXIF content and reject selectively.

There is also, always somebody who thinks that their favorite website should read this EXIF info and use it for sorting and classifying images as to camera, lens or mode. The reality is that's simply not possible. As you can see from the responses in this thread: the camera, even the most modern body, cannot accurately determine what lens is mounted!

Will this correct anytime soon? Doubtful! Manufacturers are still squabbling over the 'maker notes' section-it size, format and security. That's the first major improvement the committee added after it formed several years ago. There isn't much sense in having the committee meet until things 'shake-out' commercially; AND stuff there is still rapidly evolving.
06-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hyson Quote
Sorry friend, she says it "shows up AS a Sigma". That more or less means it's some other lens, not Sigma, feeding incorrect data to the camera.

I can see how a mistake like that could have been made, but be sure to fill us in on what else you can come up with.
Wow, way to be condescending while still miss-reading that the lense being discussed was the sigma 17-70.

As far as the software I have installed, none of it bothers to try reporting the lens brand or range.
06-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #12
Closed Account

Julie
Hello Julie,
exactly the same error happens here using Adobe Lightroom with Sigma 17-70 and K10D. It shows up as Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC.
This happened until Pentax firmware 1.10. As of 1.20 there is no Lens data shown at all anymore.

To my point of view there seems to be an interpretation problem on the side of Lightroom. Either because Pentax or Adobe do not follow standards, or simply because there are no standards. There are many opinions in many forums, about who´s fault ist is and who should be do what.

I am hoping that in Lightroom release 1.1 this will be better.

Kind regards from Germany,
Jacob