Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try the fix in the NiMH thread that the last couple posts have said fixed their problem (and lead many to believe it is a fixable firmware problem)

12-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #17

k-x battery problems

just to add to the number of voices out there.

my brand new white k-x is draining energizer ultimate lithium batteries SO fast !!!

it's very frustrating
12-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stian rasmussen Quote

my brand new white k-x is draining energizer ultimate lithium batteries SO fast !!!

it's very frustrating
Have you upgraded your firmware?
12-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stian rasmussen Quote

it's very frustrating
A few people have purchased new K-X's that had a set or Energizer lithium batteries where at least one of the cells was marginal and they could turn on the camera but then it went red shortly after. I never used the batteries that came with my camera - only used Eneloops and had no problems from the beginning and I get several hundred shots to a charge. They are worth twice their cost in what they save in frustration.

12-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I would use eneloops and change the camera's battery type from "Auto" to "NiMH".

Put a few cycles on the eneloops (use until depleted, then recharge).

You should get to the point where installing freshly charged eneloops will immediately get you a green indicator and you can take at least 500 shots.

When you get to that point, recharge eneloops and upgrade to firmware 1.01.

If you try multiple cycles with new eneloops and never get to that point, ask for more advice.
12-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a red K-X and a white one (demos). Put new out of the pack Eneloops in both. Neither has ever shown anything but green battery symbol. two days into the trial did firmware updates on both. They both are working fine with the same sets of batteries. Many people have been playing with them. Love the 'loops! Have the 8 battery Maha smart charger. Haven't used it with these cameras yet.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CAMERA CONTEST #25 in compact camera forum. Enter 2nd anniversary #26. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!
12-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Id be willing to bet 99% of battery issues are users with crap and or rooted batteries. There may well be some cameras with shorts on internal circuitry. There was certainly a few k20d's on this forum with such issues. But until you've gone and gotten brand spanking new eneloops (and you checked the date on them before buying so you know they were not on the store shelf for 6 years), we don't know.

never tried anything but a new set of eneloops with my camera, the lithium's are still in the pack :P

no problems.

Turned it on, set the battery mode to the correct type and finished.
later updated the firmware but didn't need to for any battery issue.

Cannot see why you wouldn't buy a brand new set of batteries to go with your camera. We are talking about 15 bucks here.

I Turned off preview, turned off the top light, set auto off to 1min and batteries are lasting 2 days of shooting.

Last edited by WerTicus; 12-10-2009 at 08:34 PM.
12-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #23

My Kx came yesterday. Had new Eneloops waiting. Put them in and within 10 seconds batteries drained and power went off. Put in the lithiums, upgraded firmware and all seems well now.
12-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #24

let's not revive this dead thread any further, 1.01 firmware fixes everything.. all is well.
12-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #25
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update ..

Installed Firmware 1.01

Rayovac Hybrids now power up camera and are on orange and not red.

Switched to NiZn's and they work great.

wll
12-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just go with the NiMh's and charger they ship in the box in other markets (eg DE): eneloops with a Sanyo eneloop charger.

It's equivalent to an offical Pentax endorsement, saying: these are the NimH's that work OK with the K-x...
Actually the Sanyo charger is no good. It charges batteries in pairs, not individually. If you put a single cell, it will not even turn on. Once either of the batteries is chargerd, it will stop charging. You can never be sure that the batteries will be fully charged with the Sanyo charger. You need a better charger, like a MAHA, that charges batteries individually. I use a C9000, with eneloop batteries.
12-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Actually the Sanyo charger is no good. It charges batteries in pairs, not individually. If you put a single cell, it will not even turn on. Once either of the batteries is chargerd, it will stop charging. You can never be sure that the batteries will be fully charged with the Sanyo charger. You need a better charger, like a MAHA, that charges batteries individually. I use a C9000, with eneloop batteries.
Sanyo have made so many chargers with different bundles, it is difficult for consumers to keep track. The general rule is, any Sanyo chargers with 2 LEDs charge in pair. Those with 1 LED could be smart chargers with 4 channels. Those with 4 LEDs are quite obvious I think.
12-12-2009, 03:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

the camera uses batteries in 4's so I don't see the problem... since you'd be using all of them at the same rate anyway and they would have all been bought at the same time / same packet if your smart.
12-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something I noticed early on with my Eneloops. One set of Eneloops I bought came with a Sanyo charger. I had and older charger I used for my batteries for my point & shoot. It works fine for the regular NiMH batteries but if I tried to charge the Eneloops with it they don't last long at all. If I charge the same set in the Sanyo charger they last a lot longer.

I originally marked my Eneloops in their original sets of 4 and that's how I use them and charge them. I have no doubt about the quality of the LaCrosse and Maha Chargers and fully intend on getting the LaCrosse one of these days but the Sanyo charger is doing a great job of charging my Eneloops for now. One set in the camera and one set in the grip gives me close to 2000 shots in my K200D.

Moral of the story is if your using Eneloops at the very least you should use the Sanyo Eneloop charger if not one of the higher quality smart chargers.
12-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Manual says that when using batteries in the cold or batteries that has not been in use for long, the battery indicator may not be correct when battery type set to Auto, so the manual recommends setting battery type manually under those conditions.

It also says that alkalines should only be used when other options are not available, they are only for emergency and the camera may not perform at it's best with them.

I use Uniross 2100 and 2300 NiHms and Uniross charger without problems. Uniross 2100 are 6 years old.

I'm charging Hähnel 2350 in my Uniross charger now. They're are 5 years old I believe.
I have faith that they will work good!