Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Second K-x in a week with battery problem

Yep, just got my second K-x from B&H and this one too shows a red out line and then goes dead.

This is a REAL PAIN !!!

Ser # on the first camera was 3437 ....... this one is 3438 .......

I'm calling Pentax now to see what we can do !

batteries are in tip top shape, I have a very fine charger, etc, etc. I waited over a minute after putting batteries in to turn it on ..... I did everything right ... and NO I did not use the lithiums because I use Hybrid Rayovacs in all my cameras and they work flawlessly.

wll

11-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear that.

You've switched it to LiveView and back and it is still red?

Pentax has responded to emails saying to send it directly to their service center.
11-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
News flash, just spoke to Pentax Customer service and

The very rude woman on the line said use lithium batteries or you MUST use NiMh with at least a 2500 rating.

I think that is crap. Many folks on this forum use other brands that are not rated at 2500+

I will by a set with a 2500 rating and if they don't work I will write a letter to Pentax explaining the situation.

Last edited by wll; 11-06-2009 at 03:19 PM.
11-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you report on your experience using eneloop NiMh's?

11-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
The very rude woman on the line said use lithium batteries or you MUST use NiMh with at least a 2500 rating.

I think that is crap. Many folk on this forum use other brands that are not rates at 2500+

I will by a set with a 2500 rating and if they don't work I will write a letter to Pentax explaining the situation.
It's not just the mAh rating, it's the battery discharge rate/current curve too. Each brand of battery has its own curve.
11-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I think that is crap. Many folk on this forum use other brands that are not rates at 2500+

That's absurd, they ship eneloops with them in germany which are less than 2500
11-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you sure the battery type is set to NiMH? You can pop the Lithiums in to change it if your NiMHs don't keep it on.

Or am I out of the loop and this is one of the things you've already tried? I didn't see you mention it above.

11-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #8

When I went in to see the K-X, two brand new bodies has issues turning on. And this was with a pair of brand new batteries (top of the line battery too).

The guy at the counter was very surprised and embarrased. The 3rd body that he pulled out was also a bit slow at responding but eventually turned on (almost seemed like a fautly switch).
11-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that is crap. Many folks on this forum use other brands that are not rated at 2500+

I've messed about with a loaner for a week now, and of my 3 sets of Eneloops at 2000mAh, 2 sets have been perfectly fine, one lasts a fraction of the time.

My one set of Maha Powerex at 2700mAh does exceptionally well as I popped those in messing around with lots of video. No problems:

MAHA POWEREX 2700 mAh AA4 NiMH Rechargeable Batteries2 Free ..

I use a Maha Powerex charger (URL below; but the portable ones from Maha or LaCrosseare also excellent) and always soft charge. I cannot emphasize the importance of a good charger and quality batteries:

MAHA MH-C808M AA - AAA- C- D BATTERY CHARGERDELUXE 8 Cell Pr..

I have many other uses for AA and AAA batteries (kid's toys, camping stuff), so this power supply arrangement has all been a very good investment.

Compared to my K200D, the K-x does better, and frankly, has performed as well as the K-7 using a proprietary LiOn, although I haven't spent enough time with the latter to nail that down.
11-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Aristophanes, can you suggest why the Maha chargers might be better than my current 'entry level' panasonic one? I have heard that they can charge fuller than others, but do you think that using just 'ok' chargers may cause my batteries to self-discharge faster?
11-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Aristophanes, can you suggest why the Maha chargers might be better than my current 'entry level' panasonic one? I have heard that they can charge fuller than others, but do you think that using just 'ok' chargers may cause my batteries to self-discharge faster?
Which Panasonic charger you have? If you have the BQ390, you have nothing to worry. It is a feature packed smart charger.
11-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Which Panasonic charger you have? If you have the BQ390, you have nothing to worry. It is a feature packed smart charger.
I agree. You need a smart charger like the referenced Panny. Basically they can do 2 things:

1) Deep discharge and recycle. This does wonders for partially used, dormant batteries.

2) Trickle or "soft" charge to keep heat down and improve efficiency and durability.

I actually got my charging system because a good friend works in a lab where these are the brands and products used, and she recommended them.
11-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, just got my second K-x from B&H and this one too shows a red out line and then goes dead.

This is a REAL PAIN !!!

Ser # on the first camera was 3437 ....... this one is 3438 .......

I'm calling Pentax now to see what we can do !

batteries are in tip top shape, I have a very fine charger, etc, etc. I waited over a minute after putting batteries in to turn it on ..... I did everything right ... and NO I did not use the lithiums because I use Hybrid Rayovacs in all my cameras and they work flawlessly.

wll
Consider the likelihood of getting two cameras in a row with the same problem and have a look at the common denominator.
Before you blame the camera, look hard at if your batteries may be the culprit. It only takes one iffy cell to shut down a camera.
11-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Just go with the NiMh's and charger they ship in the box in other markets (eg DE): eneloops with a Sanyo eneloop charger.

It's equivalent to an offical Pentax endorsement, saying: these are the NimH's that work OK with the K-x...
11-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I agree with rawr. Try eneloops with the sanyo charger. and thats it. If it doesnt work you may want to return it again to B&H.