Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
I think when I was getting into dSLR, the Rebel was $800 with kit lenses and the K10D was $800 without. Well, I'm on the Pentax forum now.
I think that was the Xti !!! the predecessors of that were the cheaper and horrible ones.

11-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes I have. The old Rebels creaked in my hands and was really cheap feeling. The new Rebels are pretty solid though, almost as good as the K-x. I think Canon upped their quality for the Rebel.

The K-x is definitely solidly built, in fact as good as my K10D.
That's good to hear. The only recent rebel I've handled is the Xs, and as the current cheapo model it might not be representative of the slightly nicer ones.

Agreed on the K-x's build, though. It's pretty much as tight as I remember my K20D being, just feels "cheaper" in a sense because it's a lot lighter. The 40D felt more solid because you could feel metal under your fingers, but I rarely need that level of ruggedness... and it wasn't WR either.
11-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #18

Definitely the lack of seals and the 'lightweight unibody polycarbonate injection molded body' allows more sound out. How's that for Apple-style marketing for 'cheap plastic body'? LOL
if it was apple style it would be alluminum lol
11-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
if it was apple style it would be alluminum lol
No no ... the K-x is the entry-level, which means the "non-pro" model.

And it comes in white too ... just like Macbook.

11-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I assume the basic build of the the K-x is just like every other Pentax DSLR except the K-7 - polycarbonate shell over stainless steel chassis, right? And the physical buttons and dials are basically the same parts right? I'd assume any feeling of being more 'cheap" would be due to being lighter, period. Well, that and the lack of weather seals might make some of the tolerances seem looser than the weather-sealed bodies.
11-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I assume the basic build of the the K-x is just like every other Pentax DSLR except the K-7 - polycarbonate shell over stainless steel chassis, right? And the physical buttons and dials are basically the same parts right? I'd assume any feeling of being more 'cheap" would be due to being lighter, period. Well, that and the lack of weather seals might make some of the tolerances seem looser than the weather-sealed bodies.
That is a pretty accurate description of how the K-x feels.
11-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Right now I have a K200D, a K-x, and a K-7.

The K-x definitely feels "cheaper", especially around the ports compared to the K200D. The K-7 is very well-built.

The K-x has a very loud, audible shutter noise. Louder than the K200D, and much louder than the K-7, and the Nikon D5000 I've had as well. It's quite the little popgun. I don't care, but the wedding photographer wanting one as a backup may need to think twice.

The lack of weather sealing on the K-x does make the buttons and controls feel a little less firm. And that's compared to a K200D with a year's use. The dial/wheel in particular are less solid.

The back inset of the K200D grip is much better than the K-x which is slick, with less grip. The lens release buttons on the K-x spins around; on the K200D, the weather sealing keeps it solid. The K-x ON/Off switch is smoother but I'm not sure that's a good thing as I've accidentally turned it on a couple of times, which was never a problem on the K200D. The K-7 dial lock annoys me. It also seems like the least rugged part of the whole camera, which is worrying.

The K-x desperately needs an HDMI out and MIC in ports. My Eneloops have done very well in the K-x shooting lots of video, better than the K-7!

The lack of focus point indicators is very noticeable between the K-x and 2 other models. It's a problem especially when the scene is low-light and the photog is wearing glasses (like me). It's also confusing because the focus screen does not replicate the focal points. The beginner I showed it to was rightly confused about having one diagram (and the illustration in the manual) apparently show focal points, but it's an approximation when you look through the screen. A definite downgrade from the K200D, and smacks of a late change in the design. Cost-cutting run amok.

Reviewing all 3 models, there is absolutely room in the Pentax line-up for something between the K-x and K-7. That sensor may do the K-x sales wonders, but if so, it might likely come at the expense of K-7 sales, not Canikon ones. The D5000 is a very nice camera as well, and is more prosumer without breaking the $1,000 bank at all. It is a more full-featured, but considerably large camera than the K-x. A K-x Super with WR, MIC input, HDMI out, a better LCD (where the K-7 is awesome and the D5000 articulation amazingly handy), and a return of the Fn button (programmable), would easily be worth another $250 with kit lens.

Oh, yes. There's a disappointment. the K-x kit lens is a definite downgrade. Maybe the same optics, but it does feel cheap. Mine is looser than my 1 year-old AL2 kit lens,and even a few lens changes later, it shows wear compared to the metal sturdiness of the prior models.

With the K-x you get more in areas that are on an upward trajectory regardless (sensor), but there are downgrades at the price point, the lens and lack of WR being others. The difference in concept, design, and execution between Pentax, Nikon, and Canon has lessened, not increased with the K-x. What made Pentax different, has faded. The K-x is a very good hybrid price point, but compared to the K200D, it lost enough that there is a big hole in the market where Pentax is not, but the others are. Pentax would have a killer lineup if they could get an intermediate model out (which would also serve to keep the K-7 margins higher). I cannot say enough good things about the K-7, except why it uses that sensor..........

Last edited by Aristophanes; 11-10-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: tpyos
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

So what one takes the better picture? the K-X or the K-7
11-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Whichever one happens to be there when the best light and subject present themselves.
11-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
So what one takes the better picture? the K-X or the K-7
Reduced to simply looking at the shot, it's a tie. The K-x has a high-ISO edge, but less resolution. You are, however, less likely to "fight" for the shot with the K-7, once dialed in. It's toolset is uncompromising and efficient. If Pentax took the K-x sensor in the K-7 body, and sold one model at $950, they'd massacre the market.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 11-10-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: tpyo
11-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got my K2000 a few months ago, I noticed it's shutter was quite loud and squeaky sounding. I had heard this in a old istDL and thought something was wrong with it! My istD and K20d didnt sound like that!

I was disappointed that my new K-x sounded this way also.
But I don't mind. The other advantages this camera offers makes it worth the noise.
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

If you'll excuse my lame not-even-really-a-pun...

It appears, my friends, that we've traded one noise for another!

As in, like, we got lower sensor noise but now the shutter has more noise and... yeah... I'll stop now.
11-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
If you'll excuse my lame not-even-really-a-pun...

It appears, my friends, that we've traded one noise for another!

As in, like, we got lower sensor noise but now the shutter has more noise and... yeah... I'll stop now.
I think this should be a custom function setting

noise in shutter vs noise in picture.
11-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Add it to the firmware wishlist?
11-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Well I guess I'll wait till they get a better sensor for the K7 then get a new DSLR. I would like better ISO and focus response in darker places.
Guess I'll get me a SAMSUNG LN40B630 HDTV for my bedroom.
Thanks Guys.