Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I can only repeat, try the eneloops.

That advice about 2500mAh is in-accurate. As has been mentioned many many many times before, it's not only about the mAh, it's more complicated than that. It's about the discharge curve, amongst other elements of battery behaviour.

Sigh. I give up.

Best of luck with your Yogi Bear brand batteries and charger. Don't blame the camera if they don't work.
I agree with rawr, mah does not mean squat!

The Enloops (or any other hybid battery) are low self discharge and are also good for high discharge devices. If a battery holds its minimum charge (lets just say its 1.2V) for a longer period of time, as apposed to having a higher mah rating for a shorter period of time due to drain, you are way ahead of the ball game.

IIRC these same battery threads came up concerning the K100D and K100DS, I have had nothing but positve results using LDS cells with my K100DS along with a "good" charger.

11-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Not Kx info, but it may be relevant.....

I proved (to myself) with a lot of careful measurements that Hybrios (similar to Eneloops) last a lot longer (x2+) than new 2500mAh Energizers in a K100D once the batteries have rested for 2 weeks after a (smart) charge. Longer rests would extend the advantage of Hybrios. The only time Energizers were better was fresh off the charger when I could get 30% more shots than Hybrios if all the shots were taken in the day after charging.

The poor Energizer performance was not down to self-discharge as such, the actual capacity was only down a little, as shown by resistor load discharging, it was more that the voltage depressed more than Hybrios after resting and the flat part of the discharge curve was perilously close to the K100D cutoff voltage.
11-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Possible problems with battery type autodetect?

When I first got my K-X, I used a set of recently-charged Imedion LSD batteries, Within about 10 minutes of playing about with the camera, the battery indicator went fo red. That was both a surprise and a concern. I took the batteries out and charged them on my C9000 individual cell charger. Each cell took less then 100 mAh to recharge. So, the K-X was mis-indicating the amount of remaining charge.

I put in some recently charged Eneloops, and changed the battery type from Autodetect to NiMH, I played around for a while and the battery indicator remained green. I went to a function about a week later and took a handful of photos using the same batteries. No battery problems, and they each took less than 100 mAh to recharge.

I put the Imedions back in. At first the battery indicator was yellow, but it's green again now.

This isn't very much data, but perhaps, in some cameras at least, the battery type autodetect is misclassifying NiMH as some other type. The relatively high voltage (for NiMH) that the Eneloops provide in high current devices might exacerbate this.
11-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #19

Yes, I also bought 4 eneloop AA for k-x. Let's see!

11-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Why not just buy 4 eneloops and a Sanyo eneloop charger and try them.
Yep. Why do 2000 maH Eneloops work when 2700 maH Energizers won't? Well, the maH rating is the capacity of the battery. 2700is more power than 2000 and would run a light bulb 35% longer, but the K-X camera shuts off when the voltage monitor falls below some set limit and we never get to use all that power.

Eneloops have a lower voltage drop, so the voltage monitor doesn't trigger and so you get to use more of its 2000 maH. Actually, I believe thay are only 1900 mah.

I like the OP's idea. IF Eneloops are still troublesome, why not the NiZn battery? Its voltage is nominally the same as Energizer lithiums.
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #21
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please Check My Post on PowerGenix NiZn ! for K-x

They work great, no problems. got them from:

https://www.depoteco.com/Home.jsp?refresh=true

End of story for me. These work and that is it !!!!!

wll
11-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #22
Forum Member

It almost sounds self defeating though. Why would Pentax design the k-x using AA batteries but severely limit what type of AA's could be used. I thought that the whole purpose of using AA batteries is to allow for a universal availablility of AA's wherever you go on the planet?

11-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by turbosaturn Quote
It almost sounds self defeating though. Why would Pentax design the k-x using AA batteries but severely limit what type of AA's could be used. I thought that the whole purpose of using AA batteries is to allow for a universal availablility of AA's wherever you go on the planet?
Not all AA batteries are made alike...