Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I'll try these batteries in my K-x

I just bought these and they should be in next week. High voltage, need a different charger than my NiMh's.

https://www.depoteco.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Green+Products:PowerGen...NiZn+Batteries

We will see.

wll

11-07-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
doh!

After a week of research, I just ordered K-x and Eneloops and BC9009 charger. Eneloops and charger have already shipped.

oh well - let us know how it goes. If these batteries are great, I can use the Eneloops for other stuff.
11-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's still not clear to me if you have tried eneloops with a Sanyo eneloop charger. That seems to be almost the officially endorsed Pentax NiMh setup.
11-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eneloops not the answer for me !

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's still not clear to me if you have tried eneloops with a Sanyo eneloop charger. That seems to be almost the officially endorsed Pentax NiMh setup.
Pentax customer service said that you need a rating of 2500 to be reliable, she was VERY emphatic about that.

She stated use Lithiums or a rechargeable with at least a 2500 rating ... Period

That was her statement even though Pentax Germany ships the K-x with eneloops and charger ??

There are many folks that are having trouble with eneloops also. My Rayovacs work in all my cameras and last forever it seems, these cameras are K200D, Ds, along with Canon's and Panasonic Point and shoots I own.

wll

11-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Forum Member

Well for everyone else, those trusty Enloops will give you battery performance that rivals or is better than many cameras out there. So I guess it all comes down to how much battery life you even need for a full day of shooting.
11-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not lost on me that in North America, Pentax is shipping the K-x with Lithium batteries. After going through NiMH hell with the istD, I wouldn't even consider rechargables for a K-x.
11-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Pentax customer service said that you need a rating of 2500 to be reliable, she was VERY emphatic about that.

She stated use Lithiums or a rechargeable with at least a 2500 rating ... Period

That was her statement even though Pentax Germany ships the K-x with eneloops and charger ??

There are many folks that are having trouble with eneloops also. My Rayovacs work in all my cameras and last forever it seems, these cameras are K200D, Ds, along with Canon's and Panasonic Point and shoots I own.

wll
Try livechat, they might be smarter

Also, if you check the president of pentax imaging's blog post on batteries, he uses eneloops...

The many folks are in one area, there are many more folks without the problems with these batteries - the difference between its performance with known batteries is too large to not consider it a bad batch.

Again, on my duracell white top pre-charged, I got over 2000 shots with some video and LV.

11-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

...There are many folks that are having trouble with eneloops also. My Rayovacs work in all my cameras and last forever it seems, these cameras are K200D, Ds, along with Canon's and Panasonic Point and shoots I own.
wll
Why not just buy 4 eneloops and a Sanyo eneloop charger and try them.

Different cameras suck power in different ways, just as different brands and types of batteries output power at different rates and voltages. So past experience of batteries and cameras isn't always a useful guide to what will work with the K-x.

eneloops and the K-x are known to work reliably together. Save yourself some hassles.
11-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Why not just buy 4 eneloops and a Sanyo eneloop charger and try them.

Different cameras suck power in different ways, just as different brands and types of batteries output power at different rates and voltages. So past experience of batteries and cameras isn't always a useful guide to what will work with the K-x.

eneloops and the K-x are known to work reliably together. Save yourself some hassles.
The eneloops have been reported to have problems also with the K-x.
According to the Pentax customer service lady I spoke to, she was emphatic about a rating of 2500 or better.

These new batteries are high voltage and suppose to equal Lithium performance ...we will see.

wll
11-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I can only repeat, try the eneloops.

That advice about 2500mAh is in-accurate. As has been mentioned many many many times before, it's not only about the mAh, it's more complicated than that. It's about the discharge curve, amongst other elements of battery behaviour.

Sigh. I give up.

Best of luck with your Yogi Bear brand batteries and charger. Don't blame the camera if they don't work.
11-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #11

While I definatelly recommend eneloops, I can't recommend the eneloop charger. It is, afaik, normal stupid charger that charges all cells at once. That can be ok if you use them at once, but it's a problem once you mix them up. This is my experience with a charger bought with eneloops, not with charger supplied with K-x in germany (it can be a different .
11-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Forum Member

eneloops working fine here in my k-x.

rawr > only so much advice you can give sometimes before it's like talking to a brick wall!!

11-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, but she also called that the "voltage", which it isn't, and indeed, that's the whole problem - cells with 250mAh capacity often have *lower* voltage than Eneloops in practice. She obviously doesn't actually know what she is talking about. She is probably just reading from a script, probably, that was prepared by someone else who doesn't understand the issues involved.

Feel free to not try them; I suspect the NiZn cells will work well, too. But there is no reason in the world to assume Eneloops wouldn't work just as well.
11-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yeah, but she also called that the "voltage", which it isn't, and indeed, that's the whole problem - cells with 250mAh capacity often have *lower* voltage than Eneloops in practice. She obviously doesn't actually know what she is talking about. She is probably just reading from a script, probably, that was prepared by someone else who doesn't understand the issues involved.

Feel free to not try them; I suspect the NiZn cells will work well, too. But there is no reason in the world to assume Eneloops wouldn't work just as well.
Exactly, 2500 being the capacity, I don't see why it would be relevant. My Duracell branded eneloops work great in my kx.
11-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm testing with Energizer 2450mAh NiMh. They have been really realiable, but I have to wait until the boxed lithiums die first.