Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D Built-In Strobo Problem, Help Me?

Hello

I have been using K10D for 4 months with variety FA/DFA/DA lenses. And I am totally enjoying this forum! Now I need some help about K10D problem.

I use it every weekend taking average 500-600 shots per week. I am an amature and do not use it like proffessional / industry use. Last night, right after I was playing with digital function bottons such as AE lock and others, built-in strobe stopped functioning.

Since it was working without any problem and I did not treat it roughly nor dropped or anything like that, I thought problem was not caused mecanically/physically, it was cause digitally, meaning I by mistake screwed up with function settings.

The reason why I think so is that when the strobe is shut, I can release shutter. But when strobe is open, I can not release shutter. Then, I change the shutter release setting to " release shutter without waiting for strobe re-charged". Then, without flashing I can release shutter. My guess is that, somehow, it stopped re-charging strobe.

My question here is:

Is there any function setting that I can choose "re-charge strobe" or "do not re-charge strobe"?

Does anyone experience similar problem as I mentioned? If so, what was the problem?

I should call Pentax but I am at work now and I do not have warranty/serial number nor even the camera with me. So I am hoping that someone here have knowledge/experience above helping me out.

I appreciate any advise or opinion.

Thanks,
zenzenyoyo

06-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like your flash is dead. You will need to contact Pentax for a warranty repair/replacement.
06-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kskjon Quote
Sounds like your flash is dead. You will need to contact Pentax for a warranty repair/replacement.
I'm sorry to say that I agree It seems that the onboard flash is the weak point of K10D

regards

Giorgos
06-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your quick reply. I was afraid to hear that, although I was expecting it. I also agree that, comparing to other parts of body/parts, built-in strobe seems like cheap/weak made that I was hoping nothing like this happens.

Expecting that the flash is dead, I was thinking several options, sending it back to Pentax for repair/replace which would take a month. Then, I will not have camera for a month which is not really option for me. So, I would buy another K10D now, then there is no no-camera days. But I was hoping to buy new model that may come in the future, but then I will have no-camera month in ahead of me.... bad! Another option is to buy ist-D or something that is cheaper than K10D, but then, I would not like less pixel image, I guess. Or, I may just keep using this K10D since I do have AF-540FGZ flash. Problem will be, then warranty will be expire and I will have to always carry this large strobe with me. I understand build-in strobe is not really good, but it is surely very handy for easy use.

Thanks again,
zenzenyoyo

06-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Inactive Account

One more thing to check just in case you might have overlooked it, how is your battery charge?
06-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
jmax

Thanks for your message, YES, the battery is totally charged in full. (I tried two fully charged battery.)

By the way, I have spoken to Pentax and be asked to send it back to them for repair and told that it will take 20+days. I am not sure if I can be without camera without 20+days..... I just got FA43 and Singma 100-300 F4.... I also did not have enough time to play with FA77 and 31 and DA21, yet. Should I buy second body? Or just forget about built-in flash?

zenzenyoyo
06-05-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Buy a new K10 and send the old one for repair. When it comes back from Pentax service, you keep the new body and sell the old one here or in ebay (or keep the old and sell the new)

My 2 cent

Regards

Giorgos

06-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I had the money I would have two K10D bodies. From the list of lenses you have already collected it doesn't seem like money is a problem so I would recommend just picking up a second. Then, like Giorgos said, if you find that you don't need two when you get the repaired one back you can simply sell one. Plenty of people here that would love to pick up a second K10 for a decent used price.
06-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Guys,

Wow, I did not think about the possibility of selling another one via e-bay, great idea! Also, I am so encouraged hearing your suggestion of getting second body. I somehow felt getting second body is only for prefossional / semi-professional prestageous people and not for an amature like me.

Well, I am not rich at all, but D-photography is the only hobby for me now, comparing to people who travel, buying cars/motor cycles, furniture, boating, golfing, skiing.... I can use all my money to D-photography.

In the past months, I have bought a lot of lens (you call L.B.A., right?). FA31, 77, 43, DFA 100, DA 14, 21, kit lens (DA50-200, DA18-55) and Sigma 100-300 F4. I was thinking getting second one would be so useful using those lens simulteneously!

Although, I was hoping Pentax release new model, like up-schaled K100D or K1D or something like that. But, it does not seem like they are not even introducing anything any time soon, another K10D would be the best option for me now.

Thanks,
zenzenyoyo