Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #1

k20d or k7

ok, done to death, but with the prices coming down I've gotta believe that the next K97, or whatever it is will be a big leap from the current K7, so I am thinking of buying a K20D as it will do what I want and then I can upgrade in a year or two....feedback please

11-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
not a bad idea at all. though the K-7's features are pretty hard to ignore considering that it would become your 2nd body.
11-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #3

Have you handled either one?
11-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Go look at both. You will fall in love with the K-7 immediately.

11-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have held both, taken pix with both (in-store) and love the K7, but I like the fact that I can still tether with the K20D, but the K7 has alot of great features that I like (HDR)
11-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your choice might be partially affected by what editing software you use...
If you do image editing with Photoshop CS4, then you can edit native RAW files from either camera. If you have CS3 you can only edit native RAW files from the K20D with the ACR 4.5 update. To use CS3 with the K-7 you have to shoot RAW files in the DNG format.
Anything before CS3 and both cameras have to shoot in DNG format for RAW editing in Photoshop.
11-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #7

Can not resist the new features on K-7...

if price is a issue, you can also consider a K-x...
11-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #8

Something to consider is that the price of the k20 has been steadily climbing for the last few weeks, it's up to $799 at amazon now, while the k7 has been dropping, i bought mine a week ago for $1019, about a month or so ago when the k20 was about $550 it might have made sense, but now the difference is only $200.

-tim

11-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back in late April, early May, I was making the same decision. Essentially to buy a K7 when it came out, or go with the K20 since the price dropped to $650. At that time I went with the K20, as compared to the $1300 for a K7. I figured that there were going to be many upgrades - since the final K7 feature list was not yet published.

So now its almost 8 months later. The cost difference is about $400, and the next upgrade is - I don't know, at least 6 - 8 months off and probably more. Only Pentax knows and they are not talking.

For me the largest annoyance with the K20 is the AutoFocus, and I do really like the size of my K100. Other than that, the K20 does everything I could ask for. And as far as the AF goes - as I did the other day, flip out of AF to manual, re-focus a bit and shoot the image.

So, my personal take is (all things being equal) - if you already have Pentax glass, go for the K7. If you are new and are shopping for a body, I think it comes down to if you have experience with an SLR. If you are new - go with the 2 lens kit for the KX (for what I hear is about $700) - as you get a very good setup - ready to go. If you are looking for a more advanced camera, and do not have Pentax glass - go for the K20 and put the rest of the funds towards lenses. Also, down in the market place I have seen what appears to be some very low shutter count K20s, well cared for, going for some reasonable prices.

It would be nice to go down to a camera shop and hold the various units (and make an informed decision), however here in the US, it is very difficult to find a Pentax body to handle and test. So, you almost have to take it on blind faith, that Pentax for the most part, does an exceptional job on the ergonomics. Since I already had a K100, I just took the blind faith route on the K20 - pretty much anticipating that it would be the right fit. It was - and I am very happy. The almost 2000 images since acquiring the body, have been fun and I am glad I took the opportunity rather than waiting for about a year for the K7 to come down in price.

just my take, hope that helps...

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-08-2009 at 05:45 PM.
11-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
Your choice might be partially affected by what editing software you use...
If you do image editing with Photoshop CS4, then you can edit native RAW files from either camera. If you have CS3 you can only edit native RAW files from the K20D with the ACR 4.5 update. To use CS3 with the K-7 you have to shoot RAW files in the DNG format.
Anything before CS3 and both cameras have to shoot in DNG format for RAW editing in Photoshop.
I would like to add that the K-x PEF does not work in Photoshop CS4 yet. I had to use ACR 4.5 to convert PEF > DNG to use in Photoshop.