Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 174
1st Day with my K-x

I took her to Henley Beach, Adelaide SA to see the sunset :P











after all that sunset, now im gonna sit back and chillax with her for a moment


11-08-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
These look great! I really like the 2nd one
11-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,720
Nice K-x pix. Good warm colours, effective composition and they convey the beach mood really well. I wish I lived by the sea.

The vignetting in pix #4 and #5 is a bit overdone though. But that's just me.

Also: isn't Henley Beach a nude beach? These pix could have been more interesting.. hehe.
11-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian
dosdan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,697
Some very nice Pentax K-x ISO 200 shots. The last shot (of your feet) is perhaps the most technically interesting since it is a 1/4s handheld shot at 42.5mm FL. Conventional wisdom says you need a shutter speed of at least 1/FL(mm) * crop factor to avoid blurring. The crop factor for a Pentax APS-C camera is 1.5, so the formula suggests using 1/(42.5 x 1.5) = 1/60s. Now 1/4s is 4 stops below that.

1/60s -> 1/30s (1 stop) -> 1/15s (2 stops) -> 1/8s (3 stops) -> 1/4s (4 stops)

While the shot is not 100% sharp, it acceptable for the mood of the shot & shows the substantial benefit of the built-in SR in Pentax DSLRs.


Dan.


Last edited by dosdan; 11-08-2009 at 05:25 AM.
11-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: new haven
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38
it's clean and nice!! color is wonderful!

Congratulations!
11-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
Great shots with nice colours, some info on the lenses used and exposures would be interesting, also I would like to see same shots rom a K-7 side by side!
11-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Forum Member
chrisb3's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 67
Great pictures. Wish my first day's pictures with the K-x I picked up yesterday looked as nice...

Still working out how the camera works. First DSLR here for me.
11-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,511
im guessing its not just the kit lens?

11-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
#2 and #4 are very nice!
11-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 174
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
im guessing its not just the kit lens?

you guessed right :P

I used a K-mount Tamron SP 35-210 1:3.5-4.2 to capture the sail boat

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 35-210 1:3.5-4.2
11-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 174
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nice K-x pix. Good warm colours, effective composition and they convey the beach mood really well. I wish I lived by the sea.

The vignetting in pix #4 and #5 is a bit overdone though. But that's just me.

Also: isn't Henley Beach a nude beach? These pix could have been more interesting.. hehe.
nude beach :P NOT haha i agree it would be more interesting if it was

thanks for the C&C
11-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 174
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Some very nice Pentax K-x ISO 200 shots. The last shot (of your feet) is perhaps the most technically interesting since it is a 1/4s handheld shot at 42.5mm FL. Conventional wisdom says you need a shutter speed of at least 1/FL(mm) * crop factor to avoid blurring. The crop factor for a Pentax APS-C camera is 1.5, so the formula suggests using 1/(42.5 x 1.5) = 1/60s. Now 1/4s is 4 stops below that.

1/60s -> 1/30s (1 stop) -> 1/15s (2 stops) -> 1/8s (3 stops) -> 1/4s (4 stops)

While the shot is not 100% sharp, it acceptable for the mood of the shot & shows the substantial benefit of the built-in SR in Pentax DSLRs.


Dan.
wow :P
that's very accurate calculations, thanks for the info.
11-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 174
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonD Quote
Great shots with nice colours, some info on the lenses used and exposures would be interesting, also I would like to see same shots rom a K-7 side by side!
I was testing the kit lens 18-55mm and it is quite sharp i would have to say. to capture the sailboat I have to use the 35-210mm Tamron

if you want to know the properties of the shot, check out my flickr page and click more properties of the photo.
Flickriver: Photos from fahdy salim photography
11-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 174
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisb3 Quote
Great pictures. Wish my first day's pictures with the K-x I picked up yesterday looked as nice...

Still working out how the camera works. First DSLR here for me.
with DSLR, you will get better with time and practice.
11-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
Forum Member
chrisb3's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 67
QuoteOriginally posted by kwetiaw Quote
with DSLR, you will get better with time and practice.
Thanks. I think I'm doing ok with it. My wife thinks I'm doing great. Here's one I snapped today.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1st day, camera, dslr, photography, sunset
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature DA* 60-250mm 1st Big Day Out Adrian Owerko Post Your Photos! 9 04-14-2010 06:09 PM
1st day of kindergarten (2img) khardur Post Your Photos! 19 09-08-2009 08:11 PM
1st day BARCUD Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 07-16-2008 03:10 PM
1st Day out with my Sigma lense Red_R1 Post Your Photos! 1 04-17-2008 07:06 PM
1st of May was a beautiful day.... clarenceclose Post Your Photos! 10 05-06-2007 02:13 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top