Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #1

Help! New Pentax k-x owner...

Thanks everyone in advance! Bought my wife a k-x for her birthday and she has been using it for about a day. The camera takes wonderful photos, but unfortunately there is a very noticeable "spot" or "speck" on all the photos - particularly noticeable when shooting something white or lighter colored. It's always in the same spot on the photo and it shows up regardless of which lens we use (we bought the two-lens kit). We have done the dust removal and also tried to blow off the sensor, but the damn thing is still there. We went back and looked at photos we shot when we first opened the camera yesterday morning and it appears it has been there from the beginning.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. We purchased from Amazon. Thanks!

w

11-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a sample of the picture with the spot on it? Based on what you described, it appears to be a little speck in the sensor. Did you try blowing it out with a jet blower (with the mirror up)? Be careful not to get the tip too close to the mount opening as static electricity may actually draws more dust into the sensor or viewfinder.

QuoteOriginally posted by willx45x Quote
Thanks everyone in advance! Bought my wife a k-x for her birthday and she has been using it for about a day. The camera takes wonderful photos, but unfortunately there is a very noticeable "spot" or "speck" on all the photos - particularly noticeable when shooting something white or lighter colored. It's always in the same spot on the photo and it shows up regardless of which lens we use (we bought the two-lens kit). We have done the dust removal and also tried to blow off the sensor, but the damn thing is still there. We went back and looked at photos we shot when we first opened the camera yesterday morning and it appears it has been there from the beginning.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. We purchased from Amazon. Thanks!

w
11-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a speck of dust.

My first advice would be to be very careful and clean when you go into the interior of the camera as you could unwittingly introduce more dust into there.

Aside from that general advice, I presume you have tried the Dust Removal option several times to try and get the camera to shake the dust off (under the Setup 4 Menu).

If that doesn't work, then after following the instructions in the manual about how to run the test, when you run the Dust Alert test (under Setup 4 in the menu) does it show you anything - eg the location of any dust on your sensor?

If it does, proceed to (very carefully) blow (using a bulb blower) the dust off the part of the sensor the Dust Alert screen has indicated the particle is at.

Then do the Dust Reduction shake a few times more and see if the dust is gone.

Otherwise, take the camera into your local camera store and ask an expert to inspect and clean the sensor for you. It may only cost a few bucks.
11-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
I tried a bulb blower, but wasn't sure how close the tip of the blower should be to the sensor. Should I try a jet blower? If so, where the heck do I get one? I assumed that it must be dust, but was surprised it didn't go away after doing dust removal multiple times and blowing the sensor.

Thanks guys!

w

11-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
you may ask pentax USA, since you just bought it new, it is still under warranty, you may try to ask for a free sensor cleaning. The address is:

Pentax Service Department
250 N. 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226

Call technical support center at 800-877-0155
11-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you run the Dust Alert function? That function is supposed to map the location of dust on the sensor for you, and show it to you on screen, to make it easier to see precisely where to clean (assuming the dust isn't visible to the naked eye). Does it show anything?

Oh, and welcome to Pentax Forums
11-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If the dust is that difficult to remove and the camera is only a few days old, take it back to the store and ask for an exchange. Most stores have 14 days exchange policy. Do it before you have to mail the darned thing out to Pentax.
11-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #8

Shoot, it's not hard to clean a sensor with a swab and the appropriate solution, but you must do it properly or you can destroy the camera. Here's a link.
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

If that is too scary (and I agree that it can be a daunting task) doesn't Pentax market a sticky swab that you basically press onto the spot where the camera says there is dust?

Finally, if you use air, never use bottled air. It is guaranteed to spray liquid propellant onto the sensor. Use a bulb blower.

A camera shop should be stocking the products needed to clean sensors, or they should be offering it as a service. When I first bought a Pentax, I encountered big time dust after a week or two. Here's an example of when I first nopticed it. Those black dots are not birds. EXIF says f27.

I nominally clean about every other month, or when I notice a speck. If you normally use the maximum apertures, any resident dust usually won't even show up.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by chedoy; 11-08-2009 at 10:15 PM.