Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #1

K100D Upgrade

Hi all

Ok I have a dilemma - Do I upgrade to the K-X from K100D

Im happy with the K100D it serves me well though I do often enlarge my images quite big so I feel the extra megapixels might help plus the shutter is pretty noisy.

But the K-X lacks the top screen and Af focus points in veiwfinder

So Im asking you all out there are these two down points enough to upgrade to more megapixels and Pentax rather than sigma lenses??

Look forward to hearing your opinions

Mike

11-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a big step up - K100D to K-x.
Yes, there are a few features that may lack, as you've mentioned but you'll have to ask yourself whether those things matter to you.
If not, the decision is a clear one - the K-x will impress you.
If so, you may consider going to the K20D, which may be a little more expensive, but also has many more advanced features and customisability that you may value.

As for Pentax vs Sigma lenses - it depends which one's you're talking about. In general I prefer Pentax over Sigma, but I'm biased. GIve us some lens names and that'll make the decisions all the more easier.

All the best in this.
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evening Mike,

I upgraded from the K100 to the K20 back in the April/May timeframe. You might consider a K20 since there are a number of lightly used units going for between $550 and $650 down in the marketplace section of the Forums. New ones are getting difficult to find and have risen in price.

If your happy with the K100, like the top LCD and want some additional resolution, I think you will be very happy with the K20 - I am. I do have to admit that the AF still suffers (slightly better than the K100), but flipping to manual - you can still shoot the picture. Its slightly larger and 5 oz heavier, but it has a significant number of additional features. It has 14.6 MP vs the K100's 6MP. It also has all the autofocus points and indicators in the viewfinder.

On the topic of Sigma lenses, others will have to answer - as I have stuck to Pentax glass.

hope that helps...
11-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I upgraded from the K100D to the K2000.

I was, at first, a bit apprehensive about losing the top LCD, but quickly found I barely missed it at all.

IMO, the lack of visible AF points in the VF is a non-issue, since you should know where you set the focus point.

11-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mike_perth Quote
Im happy with the K100D it serves me well though I do often enlarge my images quite big so I feel the extra megapixels might help plus the shutter is pretty noisy.
The K-x shutter is pretty loud too by all accounts.
11-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
jup
Forum Member

I upgraded from K100D to K-x week last week, and so far I haven't looked back. But ultimately, it's your call, so I just try to summarize my experience.

Since you started with it, negatives first:
  • lack of AF point indicator - while many people will downplay this issue, for me this is probably the biggest drawback. I do have few badly focused shots that would probably turn alright with K100D ("macro", mostly), because I didn't mention that camera decided to use different focus point than I'd though it would. This may be matter of practice, though, I just need to pay a bit more attention. Still, there probably is some reason why AF on K-x is by default set to only use 5 points (central cross), instead of all 11.
  • lack of top LCD - honestly, top LCD on K100D didn't display that many information anyway (K-7 obviously would be different matter), so I don't miss it that much as I thought I would. And info screen is pretty well designed, so I actually feel it's often faster to read complete status of camera then it was on K100D, because everything is at one place.
  • battery issues - see the other thread. Seems that using new quality batteries solves the problem for most people, but if you use older NiMH for K100D, chances are they may not work in K-x (mine didn't).
  • lack of optical/digital preview - it didn't disappear, but it's not as readily accessible. You have to assign it to green button, and then you loose its default function. I didn't use it very often, but at times it came in handy.

Now, for positives:
  • contol panel - I just love it. No need to go into menu to change most picture related setting. Both K100D and K-x are budget cameras, so they don't have many dedicated buttons - but thanks to control panel this issue now is much less important. For example, metering mode on K100D is hidden deep inside menu. With K-x, I just press info, scroll to metering mode, and turn dial to change it. And then it even stays preselected for subsequent changes. Control panel alone makes using K-x about 200% faster in many situations.
  • high ISO usability - there's many pictures around, you can check them. I did some direct comparison and K-x at 3200 has noise comparable to K100D at 800.
  • 2 times higher megapixel count
  • AF speed - K-x does focus much faster, especially in low light. Even when you leave it at default 5 point AF.
  • auto white balance - with K100D, I either needed to shoot RAW, or change it when I went somewhere with tungsten or incadescent lighing or anything non-standard really. And then change it back, which I usually forgot . K-x seems to work just great on auto in most normal situations, so I am yet to use anything different.
  • Program shift - old news fo newer models, but K100D didn't have it, meaning with program mode you're pretty much stack at one shutter/apperture combination. With P-shift, you can change default with e-dial easily. Comes very handy at times.
  • Many small nice additions - custom image settings, sensitivity priority, D-range enhancements, HDR, video+LV, in camera RAW convertor, multiexposure, filters, and such.

So, unless you see one of the negatives as show stopper, I'd say upgrade. K-x is pretty much different league altogether. Plus it's smaller and lighter.

As for Pentax vs. Sigma, this is different question and I can't comment that much on it. But now I use Sigma 17-70 with K-x and it seems much better then kit lens that I got with K100D.
11-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well I thought Id better update you all.

I got the K-x and I love it - yes there are some down sides (as mentioned the lack of veiwfinder AF top LCD etc) but once you have the camera in your hand you'll soon realise that they dont really affect you as much as you first thought - well they didnt for me.

I dont know how much use the video function will get used but like my wifes point and shoot that does video it may get used to capture that crazy moment were perfect audio and focus arnt a huge concern but the noise of the camera and lack of autofocus pretty much render it useless for quiet locations

And finally live veiw in my opionion another wasted feature except maybe in a studio on a tripod shooting a stationary object - the focusing is painfully slow unlike the Olympus SLR's the K-x realies on the CMOS sensor for focusing in live veiw as the mirror is up and when focusing some times the K-x will go through the lenses entire focusing range before returning to the focus point you saw when you first depressed the shutter relaese - but thankfully I didnt buy it for the live view.

As far as the battery's are concerned I was on the wait list at 3 local stores for when Eneloop was released in Aus as I knew they were the future of AA's and have two newish sets and both perform flawlessly in the K-x

Thanks for your advice and guidance.

Mike
11-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
[*]lack of AF point indicator - while many people will downplay this issue, for me this is probably the biggest drawback. I do have few badly focused shots that would probably turn alright with K100D ("macro", mostly), because I didn't mention that camera decided to use different focus point than I'd though it would.
I use center point and recompose. Letting the camera decide on the focal point is a recipe for trouble IME. Macro is always manual focus for me. It's hard enough to nail focus with that shallow dof.