Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on the characteristic of your shake, apparently the Pentax SR system has some problems when it is nearing the 1/FL or 1/FL*1.5 or faster speeds. I've asked for some kind of automatically disable SR at a certain ratio or speed but don't think I received a response

11-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Is there a USER mode on the K-x? This is one of the "must have" options on my K20D and I wish I had three USERs not one.

Jack
Unfortunately it does not. It does have a more detailed (as far as I can remember) menu option that allows you to control whether the camera 'remembers' what certain functions were set to at previous shut-down. Obviously this doesn't take the place of the USER dial setting, but can help you customize the camera to remember (or forget!) specific settings.
11-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Compounding that problem is the fact that the preview jpegs you can view on the LCD screen are of a reduced resolution, so you can't reliably use them to check pixel-level sharpness. My E-330 did this, my 40D did this, and it annoyed the hell out of me. The K20D didn't do this, and consequently I loved it. Sadly, the K-x seems to have picked up the bad habit somewhere, but I'll deal with it.
I noticed this but thought it was just the 230k resolution LCD, as the D90 I used and had better previews had the 921k, so I just accepted it, even though it looked better on screen zooming in vs 10x or 16x or whatever on the LCD.

A higher resolution version would be quite sweet.
11-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I noticed this but thought it was just the 230k resolution LCD, as the D90 I used and had better previews had the 921k, so I just accepted it, even though it looked better on screen zooming in vs 10x or 16x or whatever on the LCD.

A higher resolution version would be quite sweet.
Even on a lower-resolution screen, you'd be able to see whether the picture was sharp or not when zoomed in to 16x if the preview images were full resolution. It's just something to deal with, I guess.

11-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote

I thought OP wanted a way to change compensation with only rear wheel turn - but since I don't have my camera with me and can't really check, i just suggested there might be an option at the green button setting menu (since HyperAv enabling option is there)
That is, indeed, what i was looking for, since that's how I've always set my cameras in the past (rear dial=direct exposure compensation). Unfortunately, while there are a lot of different options in the green button function menu, for different program shifts and preview functions and RAW button and AF control, Exp. Compensation just isn't in there. Ah, well.

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote

While Tav mode is missing from the Kx, I think Sv has become infinitely more valuable, simply because higher ISOs are a viable option! I do find myself in M quite alot, and pressing the EVcomp button to toggle the single dial doesn't bother me at all.
I agree, while I loved TAv mode on my K20D I find I'm not missing it that much with the K-x. Probably because I haven't done any tele shooting yet. That said, I'd love it if they "pulled a nikon" and allowed you to set auto ISO in M mode... essentially the same functional deal as TAv mode, and a rose by any other name...

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Great points Rawr - hey, we have a 'firmware requests' thread for the Kx, how about a 'can I change this' thread? I suppose the first response would then be, read the manual!
I have read some of the manual. No idea why you'd read the whole thing, though. I'd rather be taking pictures.
11-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Even on a lower-resolution screen, you'd be able to see whether the picture was sharp or not when zoomed in to 16x if the preview images were full resolution. It's just something to deal with, I guess.
Yep, I was agreeing, just look how sharp the text can be at 230k.

I've started to like Sv mode since there is no TAv mode - sometimes it increases the shutter instead of the aperture - even significantly above the 1/FL*1.5 limit and takes a while to increase the aperture - I think it should basically try to attain a decent shutter speed and not faster - then close the aperture, if I want to freeze action I'll use Tv.
11-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I agree, while I loved TAv mode on my K20D I find I'm not missing it that much with the K-x. Probably because I haven't done any tele shooting yet. That said, I'd love it if they "pulled a nikon" and allowed you to set auto ISO in M mode... essentially the same functional deal as TAv mode, and a rose by any other name...
I could go for that! Rather than a hyper program mode, it is hyper manual! Why not? It makes sense for the P mode to be rather vanilla, but why not add alittle something new to M mode - most users that stick to P will probably never touch M anyways, and would this would give it a nice little touch. I think you should send this idea over to the firmware wishlist