Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #1

SR and MLU

While shooting long exposures on a mountain river I discovered that the K10D doesn't let you combine SR and MLU (2sec timer). If you turn on MLU it automatically turns off SR.

Does anyone know why this is? I find MLU helpful on long handheld shots to isolate the shake of pressing the shutter button and the mirror moving up from my shot. Using SR would just improve this.

I was mostly shooting at 1/6th to 1/3rd of a second, outside of the range of what is ideal for SR. Some have one second exposures such as this one:

This is a more typical 1/3rd of a second exposure:

I checked the custom functions, but I'm not running the very latest firmware. Have they changed this?

alex

06-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Can't answer your question unfortunately, but just wanted to say I loved the pics!
06-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It is because mirror lock-up is supposed to be used when camera is mounted on tripod and when camera mounted on tripod shake reduction shouldn't be on. So, Pentax made assumption that when 2 sec. timer is activated, camera is on tripod ant K10D turns SR off by itself.

I like this feature very much, without it I would forget to turn off SR most of the time while taking pictures from tripod
06-05-2007, 03:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not a solution but a minor workaround -- one thing you can do is shoot in continuous drive mode and hold the shutter for two shots, then discard the first.

06-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Not a solution but a minor workaround -- one thing you can do is shoot in continuous drive mode and hold the shutter for two shots, then discard the first.
In this case the mirror slaps each time.
06-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Bulb mode?
06-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
ISH

Looking at your photos, I don't see what the problem is. Your photos look great, who needs SR if you are getting results like this. The second one is just AWESOME!
06-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
In this case the mirror slaps each time.
Yeah, of course it's only partial -- it at least reduces movement from the shutter press.

06-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ISH Quote
Looking at your photos, I don't see what the problem is. Your photos look great, who needs SR if you are getting results like this. The second one is just AWESOME!
Thanks the compliments. I can hold a camera reasonably still, but SR still helps eek out a bit more. I had to discard about half of the shots due to camera shake.

I'm disappointed that they don't allow you to turn off the SR defeat through a custom function. Using MLU really is a helpful trick for long exposures.

The K10D is much better than the *ist D for handheld versions of these photos due to ISO 100 (allows for longer shutters in good daylight) and SR.

There are more photos here:
AlexAndChristine : photos : Lena Lake -- June 2007 - powered by SmugMug

I brought along 4 lenses, but primarily used the DA 14 and DA 21 for these shots.

alex
06-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The SR turning off might actually be helping your shots turn out.

I've noticed some of my pic's where I was fully braced have been a little blurred, and the camera shops daughter noticed the same thing.

The theory that they came up with was the camera creates the same shake that it has on the tripod.

Since they came up with that theory we've all tried turning the SR off for those pic's where we hardly move, and all our consistency has improved.