Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #1

File numbering

I did a search and know this question has topic has been addressed before, but I didn't quite find the answer I need. Yesterday, my file counter started over again after reaching 9999. Previously when it did that, I thought the IMGP had added another letter to differentiate, but now I am realizing that isn't the case. My pictures are saved in folders by year, with a subfolder by date, so they haven't overwritten each other. But I am starting to use Lightroom and its photo organization and I'm not sure I will run into trouble with it as it comes across identical file names. What about uploading to Shutterfly or Flickr? Am I okay to leave all the files as is in their date numbered folders and not worry that they may get overwritten? Or should I find a program to batch rename and go through the past few years? This is the third time it has started over and I probably have more duplicate file numbers than that, as I had an earlier Pentax ist. Thanks!

11-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
HI

As far as I know the picture counter will get up to 9999 and then turn to back to 0000.
But there should be no restriction to switch the first four letters into numbers (to a year or other number based indicator). If needed (for those who take more that 9999 pics per month) the first four digits could be the year and month.

BR.
11-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

As long as you make sure that you continue to import into separate folders you'll be OK.
I don't import by year, I import my day/month/year, so I have a lot of separation between duplicate file numbers.
I believe Lightroom will let you rename on the fly as you import, though I could be wrong.
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd highly recommend finding a good naming scheme and using it from now on; whether or not you rename your older images is kind of up to you. I use MJS_YYMMDD_####, where MJS are my initials, YYMMDD is the date shot, and ### is the original sequence number from the camera. I have rename my pictures this way immediately on import. Guarantees there will never be duplication (unless you shoot more than 10,000 images in a single day, or shoot with two cameras - in case you can one more character to the template). Got this idea from peter Krogh's "The DAM Book", which is the definitive reference on organizing an image collection.

11-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I import files direct from memory card into a directory called "Transfer" where I use PSP X2 and the batch edit to renumber them.

I add a prefix for the camera (*istD or K10D) and a leading "1" to the file number. This way, I can not only avoid the issue of repeating file numbers but also insuring I don't have an issue with duplicates between my cameras.

For my K7 I have it set up to use the prefix K7 so I won;t need to address it until it rolls over 10K also
11-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I found a "rename all" feature in Silkypix, so I think I will use that as I am uploading. I tried it on the photos that had started over yesterday and it worked great! I'll have to think about going back to older files though - hopefully keeping them in separate folders will be enough!