Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K200 will not autofocus

Anyone ever seen this before? K200D, in use with 2 lenses, a Tamron 17-50 (screw drive) and a Pentax 50-135 (SDM).

With both lenses, the body will randomly decide it doesn't want to autofocus, and just take an out of focus photo. It will do this several times, sometimes it decides to start focusing again, sometimes I have to cycle it on and off. I've verified and cycled the Af/MF button on the body, and on the lens (the SDM one).

Lens and body contacts all look fine and have been cleaned. Nothing was dropped, got wet, etc. Verified that I had good batteries (tried a couple different sets). Tried activating the reset function in the menus, and even tried a different SD card just in case something was weird there. Everything else appears to be working normally.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them, otherwise I guess I need to send the body to Pentax. I think it's just barely out of warranty :-(

Thanks

Bruce

11-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you on AF-C mode?
If so, the camera may decide to open shutter when you depress fully even if focus hasn't been achieved yet. I've done that a few times - it turns me off using AF-C mode.

Last edited by Ash; 11-09-2009 at 05:25 PM.
11-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good thought, I have checked and I am in AF-S mode. I toggled it back and forth a couple times to be sure. When it doesn't focus, it doesn't focus at all, doesn't even try, so it's not like it is shooting too early, it's just not trying to focus at all.

Bruce
11-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's just with the 50-135 - my first thought is to get your 50-135 serviced if it's still in warranty.
Its AF mechanism may be on its last legs - hard to tell from here.

If the 17-50 has the same issue, then have the body serviced.
Something's not right if AF is temperamental under normal circumstances...

11-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you telling it which focus point to use, or is it possible the camera is not focusing because *something* in the picture already is in focus? Are you verifying there is no green hexagon when you hit the shutter? You don't by chance have the OK button set to cancel AF and your thumb resting there? Sorry, just trying everything I can think of...
11-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Marc, all of those are good ideas also. When it happens, there is nothing in the frame that is in focus. The green hexagon doesn't come on. The camera shoots as if it were in manual focus mode. I have it set to automatically pick the focus point, which is how I have always used it. The other thing I have noticed is that sometimes it will start to constantly run the focus as I move the camera around, as if it were in AF-C mode, even though I can verify that it is not. All in all, completely strange behavior and I'm afraid I'll be sending the body in for service.

Bruce