Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

D10d or K20d

Hi, I;m new to this forum and also new to DLSR.
I am looking for a used K10D.My question is for someone of my experience would I be
better off to look for a K20D or put the extra money into lenses
Thanks for any input.
Don

11-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i think K10D is a great camera for the money.
go with the K10D and buy some nice lenses with the spare money.
11-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d-dryer Quote
Hi, I;m new to this forum and also new to DLSR.
I am looking for a used K10D.My question is for someone of my experience would I be
better off to look for a K20D or put the extra money into lenses
Thanks for any input.
Don
And in this case, the bestbuy.com website might be your best friend! They should have some direct-from-pentax refurbs at $399 (haven't looked in a day or two, but they've been there awhile).

But, if you can find a reasonably priced K20d (BB has also periodically had refurb k20s for $499, might be worth the wait) I personally think this might be a better route - they are both great though, but having owned both I found the k20 a tangible upgrade to an already great camera.
11-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all about what you can afford of course. I own both k10 and k20 (and a k100ds). I learned on my k10 and still use it frequently as I've added a split image viewfinder to it for older manual focusing lenses. My k20 is my go to camera and it's the little differences that count on the k20. If you can afford the k20, I'd recommend that you opt for getting it. The larger mpix size, d-range control, liveview, better low light performance, higher ISO, jpeg editing/filters, and increased camera functions are good to have. I'm glad I have both because when I work with both of them the handling is so similar I have to check which camera I'm using. So...if you can go with the k20.

11-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wondered the same thing before I bought my DSLR and after searching these forums for similar threads with detailed info on these bodies, I opted for a used K10D over a K20D. That was awhile ago before the K20D prices dropped (they were about $700-800 then). The used K10D prices have not dropped (still about $350-$375 in the Marketplace here). The $399 refurb K10D sounds like a good deal and I'd give that a serious look.

That said, I'd focus on lenses over the differences between the two bodies. That's not to say that the differences don't matter in some situations (they might) but for nearly all the work the average amateur photographer does, the K10D is more camera than is needed. Getting better or more lenses will pay off far more in my opinion. For example, a used DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II kit lens runs about $80 in the Marketplace while I've seen a few DA 16-45mm f/4 lenses for sale here in the $200-225 range lately. The extra $120-145 for the 16-45mm is a more substantial upgrade for you than the $100-150 or more for the K20D would give you (I wish I had opted for that lens over the kit for the fixed max aperature alone). And if you shoot manual focus lenses then you can really do a lot with the savings from a K10D purchase. Plus, you could always upgrade to the K20D later as those prices drop further if you find that you need the different features. The lenses will depreciate less (if at all) than the bodies will over time.

Bottom line: I'd choose upgrades in lenses (or get addt'l equipment like a good tripod or bag for instance) over the camera body at this juncture.
11-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have both the K10D and K20D.
I find both excellent cameras and hard to part from my K10D since I use the K20D most now.
If you can afford it, the K20D is a notch above the K10D is customisability, particularly if you ever need fine AF adjustments made in camera, and for the extra high ISO capabilities.
11-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

indytax makes the better statements.
If you are playing the simple game of a choosing a fantastic camera and a lens or a fantastic camera and perhaps two lenses then that answer is obvious. You made the first good choice in coming to Pentax; the hard part is which Pentax. But you could not go wrong with either of those two choices provided even if you are on a budget.
You should find years of enjoyment from either the K10 or the K20 no matter which you get. But if you are suggesting a budget of say, X amount of dollars to spend initially, the K10 is still very capable of growing with your abilities just as much as the K20 would but you would be able to start off with a little more money to spend on additional equipment if you so desire.
I say get the K10 and a couple of lenses and there is no reason to look back. You have just purchased a fantastic camera.

11-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I completely agree with the sentiment of buying better lenses - not necessary more, but the best you can afford! (the 16-45 suggestion is a great one, awesome lens) Also, consider the lens options you will have that relate to the type of photography you expect to use your camera for the most.

With that in mind, if you intend to hold onto this body and the budget is tight, I would jump on one of those refurbs - I have always had great success with refurbs - you are getting a camera that has been refreshed (occasionally even new old stock), and comes with a short warranty to cover any issues that might arise (and any faults with electronics are usually immediately apparent when it comes to most electronics lifecycles). All of the above notes are sounds points, good luck with your choice!
11-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #9

While I agree with the sentiment that lenses are more important than bodies, I would recommend the K20d over the K10d if you can afford it.
I have the K10d, the K20d and the K7. Of the three I prefer the K20d.
The K10d is great, but it is a "fussy" and rather demanding camera. I still use it, but only with my manual lenses as it tends to misfocus using AF.
I much prefer the K20d, however, for many reasons. If the price difference is no more than 100 dollars or so, or even more, I think it is a no-brainer - just my opinion, of course.
As regards refurbs, I cannot speak from experience, but there are a number of people who swear by them, saying that they are less likely to have the "teething" faults that sometimes plague new products.
11-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Unless you only use K10d at iso 100 - 400 and dont autofocus on moving objects much, K20d is superior... The JPEG engine on K20d is good enough that I actually I heard some people just use the raw as backup and only process the JPEG. K10d on the other hand have probably one of the most cirticized JPEG engine of recent times (stick to raw and you're golden).

Get it and you won't regret. I recommend trying it out physically though. Some stores still have the K20d in stock.
11-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!!!
I'm sorry for the delay in responding. You have been most helpful and the amount of
help and support here is amazing. Thank you again. I did purchase what appears to be a
very nice K10D on the market place with kit lenses and I have an old 50mm mf that
should be more than enough to get me started Thank you all again.
Don.
11-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ah, good choice either way since you saved your money. Put that on good lenses... or on the k-x special for nighttime use