Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #1

k7 battery grip

are these things likley to come down in price? seems that 1/4 of the price of the camera seems alot for what is essentially a couple of buttons and a plastic shell that can hold an extra battery ( not included )

11-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
are these things likley to come down in price? seems that 1/4 of the price of the camera seems alot for what is essentially a couple of buttons and a plastic shell that can hold an extra battery ( not included )
It's likely that they'll come down a *little* over time, but it's not likely that the price will fall dramatically until after the K-7 has been discontinued, and stores are trying to clear old stock. That's still quite some time away.

It's a lot more substantial than you make it sound, incidentally. The exterior is indeed plastic, but the base against which the camera mounts is metal, and it includes two battery trays (including one that accepts AA batteries), and duplicates five buttons and two control dials including full weather-sealing.

Some nice pics from Pentax's Ned Bunnell here:

NED BUNNELL: D-BG4 Battery Grip

I have the grip myself, and love it (although I've yet to get my head around remembering to switch the grip back off when I'm done, because I don't yet use it often enough - so I invariably half-press the secondary shutter button while chimping, have a momentary "what the heck's going on" moment, followed by a "duh" eureka moment. ;-)
11-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

If you haven't used a grip before you may scoff at the price, but if you have used them before (and like the feel of them) the benefits far outweigh the cost.

Extra battery = check
Extra buttons for shooting in portrait mode = check
Extra comfort and balance = check

Well worth it IMO, but YMMV of course.

c[_]

P.S. I'd like it better if they could put two batteries in the grip and remove the one in the body...that way I'd never have to take the grip off.
11-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
P.S. I'd like it better if they could put two batteries in the grip and remove the one in the body...that way I'd never have to take the grip off.
Only thing I'd change with the grip myself is to put back the space to store the tiny IR remote control inside the grip. That was a nice touch, and would've kept it safely to hand when I hadn't bothered to bring my camera bag.

11-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Only thing I'd change with the grip myself is to put back the space to store the tiny IR remote control inside the grip. That was a nice touch, and would've kept it safely to hand when I hadn't bothered to bring my camera bag.
get yourself a neck strap that has a little pouch on it for the remote and extra sd cards - very handy!!

as for the battery grip yeah i know it would be great to have make portrait mode so much better etc and give me somewhere to rest my pinky finger but still for what it is seems that 1/4 (sometimes even more) of the price of the camera is abit excessive

even 150 would be more reasonable and tempt me to buying one but at 250-300 i'd much rather buy a new lens
11-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 works for me without the grip.
On k20d I had one and love it for vertical images but I'm not doing much vertical these days so I decided not to buy the grip after considering the price that will support another body or lens. Instead I got one extra battery.
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

get yourself a neck strap that has a little pouch on it for the remote and extra sd cards - very handy!!
Nice idea, and I may look out for if there is a pouch that would securely attach to my existing strap without getting in the way. My strap choice is dictated by my bag though. I'm using Think Tank Photo's Rotation360, and very much like the way it's bundled neckstrap can be attached to the bag's shoulder straps to remove the load from my neck.
11-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is a common issue.
I guess that many manufacturers make most of their profits using this approach.
I know a 2 letter computer company that makes printers that cost less than their refill cartridges. And they ship their new printers with cartridges with limited ink containers!
Or, I've got a S**y HD camcorder for 500, for which 2 spare batteries and 2 memory cards and 1 protective cover costed us 250.... What the ****!

10-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good day,

About the extra `pouch` for the SDcard... it' s not usable the sdcard. It' s there just to sit. No offence, but it is useless in my opinion. If they would have made it usable, thus having two active SD cards, it would have been interesting.
Or am I wrong, it is usable?

Thank you!
10-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In my opinion they are still vastly overpriced...
Although you lose WR in availible 3rd party options they still make a hell of a lot more financial sense...
10-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I bought a genuine grip recently but I don't like it so it doesn't get used.
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like the grip but agree it is expensive, part of the peripheral item profit program that helps my favorite camera brand stay in business. There is an aftermarket battery holder available, but the word is that it is a little flimsy, but hey . . . it is just a battery holder. Buy two of the aftermarket battery grips for half the price of the Pentax one.
10-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

But those aren't weather-sealed...IMO it's worth the investment in all respects.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But those aren't weather-sealed...IMO it's worth the investment in all respects.

In my opinion, sincerely no. The weather sealed part, let' s be frank it ain' t 100% , thus it' s useless in real need of weather sealing. Second of all, you don' t get another set of buttons (to set the type of pictures, WB, and what not) , AF mode etc. , making it very hard (unless you have some long fingers) to reach for some of the upper mentioned buttons. Second, and mostly in my honest opinion, they could have made it an Extra Functional SD Slot Holder, for the camera to be Dual SD Card. Sincerely, it wouldn' t have been expensive then. I for one wouldn' t have cried for paying such a sum cause hey, it' s a dandy feature. But yet again, aldough it' s a nice little feature (the possibility of having an extra sd- card sit there) , it' s pointless cause I can' t imagine it being to easy to swap cards by removing that long battery tray.

And there' s an idea for Pentax: Make the SD- Card functional in the Grip, thus making it Dual SD Card, thus competing on an equal level (on this matter) with the rest, but at a much better price (same price for the grip dough, even lower) ; and if they' ll ever release a K5 (or later model) that already has dual SD card, maybe another sd- card slot in the grip, would be nice. Bottom line, earn that amount of money for the grip!

Last edited by urssu; 10-30-2012 at 04:50 AM.
10-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sorry Adam... I have to dissagree... For general shooting purposes WR isn't a nessecity and except for the WR feature it appears that 3rd part grips share all other functions as the genuine version
WR in a grip would be nice but I can't justify it being worth 100+ more than a 3rd part one (3rd party gips are between 30 and 60 here in the UK...
The Pentax version is 160 - 190) The lack of WR in 3rd party grips simply means its removal should it rain... A 5 second task...