Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 04:00 AM   #1

Canon > Pentax - last minute advice?

So, I've just signed up here on the forums because I am fairly sure I want to switch over to pentax - just looking for a bit of last minute advice before i take the plunge

Have been using a 350D, which I am very happy with but I would really, really like in-body stabilisation/shake reduction, which is my primary motivation for changing. I shoot handheld 99% of the time and often in low light, and although I have some decently fast lenses It could still be better - plus buying fast Image Stabilised canon glass is rather expensive not to mention that its not even an option in many focal lengths...

Anyway I'm looking to move to something like a k200d/K2000(K-m), would rather stick to a compact body so that its easier to travel with - would consider the k10d If there was a compelling reason to do so but i am hoping/assuming the smaller cameras should do everything I need

I have also been using some old Pentax K lenses on the Canon via an adapter with excellent results, metering is excellent etc... I suspect moving to a pentax body might actually be a bit of a step back in that stop-down metering would be required for correct exposure whereas on the canon you have full manual control of the aperture and it just works, even if the viewfinder gets a little dim...

I guess my main queries and concerns are:

- will I be losing anything moving from the 350d to say a k200d/k2000
- any issues with manual PK lenses - is getting proper metering on a Pentax Body a pain?
- Can anyone comment on high ISO performance compared to canon? the K2000 goes up to 3200 but would this be useable? is ISO1600 performance roughly equivalent on the k200d/K2000?
- any focusing screen recommendations?

thanks for reading, and i would welcome any comment - even if it's to tell me i'm an idiot.

Last edited by TheMilkman; 11-11-2009 at 04:15 AM. Reason: extra info
11-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #2

If your budget can afford it you should consider the new Kx - very good high iso performanace which sopunds liek it might be useful for you - 12 point autofocus and the latest version of the shake reduction

kx is easily one of the best cameras in its class if not the best
11-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by TheMilkman Quote
So, I've just signed up here on the forums because I am fairly sure I want to switch over to pentax - just looking for a bit of last minute advice before i take the plunge

Have been using a 350D, which I am very happy with but I would really, really like in-body stabilisation/shake reduction, which is my primary motivation for changing. I shoot handheld 99% of the time and often in low light, and although I have some decently fast lenses It could still be better - plus buying fast Image Stabilised canon glass is rather expensive not to mention that its not even an option in many focal lengths...

Anyway I'm looking to move to something like a k200d/K2000(K-m), would rather stick to a compact body so that its easier to travel with - would consider the k10d If there was a compelling reason to do so but i am hoping/assuming the smaller cameras should do everything I need

I have also been using some old Pentax K lenses on the Canon via an adapter with excellent results, metering is excellent etc... I suspect moving to a pentax body might actually be a bit of a step back in that stop-down metering would be required for correct exposure whereas on the canon you have full manual control of the aperture and it just works, even if the viewfinder gets a little dim...

I guess my main queries and concerns are:

- any issues with manual PK lenses - is getting proper metering on a Pentax Body a pain?
- Can anyone comment on high ISO performance compared to canon? the K2000 goes up to 3200 but would this be useable? is ISO1600 performance roughly equivalent on the k200d/K2000?

thanks for reading, and i would welcome any comment - even if it's to tell me i'm an idiot.
If high ISO is important to you I suggest looking at the K-x which I think is positioned to replace the k2000 and similarly priced. This seems to have exceptionally good high ISO performance.

As regards the usability of PK/A lenses on Pentax bodies, they work fabulously on both my old *stD and newer K7 and I understand the other bodies operate similarly. Its very convenient and in my opinion much better to retain open aperture use and just stop down for metering rather than have it stopped down all the time (although others have the oposite view). It is very easy and also 'just works', you press a single button and it stops down and automatically sets the shutter speed in AV mode, or just meters if you are in full manual, or does clever stuff in 'hyper manual' mode.
11-11-2009, 05:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
yes the k-x would be better of course, just don't think I can justify the cost...

so has the shake reduction improved over time? any models better/worse than others?

11-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have handled a friend's K-x briefly and I must say the SR is quite effective. Definitely more effective than my k100D. Some says the SR is even better than the K-7....maybe.
11-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

- any focusing screen recommendations?

The only stupid question is unasked one, so I used 350D and K200D both I can say you will gain in everything, especially in IQ. Except about the high ISO's I can't tell because I only used them at 100 ISO.

No manual lens metering issues at all with K200D, I recommend screen with grid, it helps tremendously especially with ultra-wide lenses.
11-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #7

No problems with metering on manual, even with the Km/K2000 so I'd expect the Kx to be just as good. Manual focussing can be tricky without a split focussing screen - the in focus beep/light does help as does some practice.

I'm not sure that the Kx and Km are similarly priced. The Kx is priced at over £200 more than the Km here, and for this reason I rather hope that Pentax bring a proper Km replacement out. The Km was a good basic DSLR for not much more than an expensive bridge camera, which has to be good news in terms of bringing in new photographers.

11-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Forum Member

I just made the move from C*n*n 350D to Pentax K200D within the last month. Sold the 350D to someone who will love it more than I ever did--we never really bonded, that Rebel and me.

The K200D is a huge step up in IQ, AWB accuracy, LCD real estate (top AND rear), and of course it has SR in-body. I know the K20D has numerous adherents on the forum, but for me the smaller form factor was a big deal. ISO up to 800 looks great on the K200D; 1100 and 1600 are usable in a pinch, at the cost of increased noise. SR is a lifesaver in low-light situations. The optional battery grip was a bargain and adds to the K200D's versatility.

Can't comment on the lens question as--so far--I only have the Pentax superzoom 18-250 which is incredibly versatile if a bit hefty. I came very close to waiting for the K-x to be released; weather sealing on the K200D sealed the deal, as it were. Now to get some DA* or WR glass.
11-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ISO noise on the kx is a stop or two ahead of the km, that is a major factor for what your looking for in the camera.

You really should step up to the kx, you'll only be wishing you did later!

I came from the 350d also and you're really going to love the Pentax's, so much better a camera all around.
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree that once you see how easily and well stop down metering works on a Pentax body (set aperture, hit button to make camera automatically select appropriate shutter speed - a manully assisted Av mode), you won't miss the dim viewfinder method forced on you by the Canon. But if you do get nostalgic for the dim viewfinder, I believe you can do this by simply not completely locking the lens into position. Seems some people have even modified their lenses to allow them to lock this way too.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 11-11-2009 at 08:43 PM.
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd say just go to K-X... use auto ISO or park it at 3200. SR + high ISO = have fun handholding.

K-m, having K10d's sensor (a refined version of it) have the nice pentax colors that I prefer, but this doesnt seem to be of main importance to you.
11-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Only one thing that stands out - the K2000/K-m and K-x don't have an indication of which autofocus point is manually or automatically selected in the viewfinder itself.
11-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I switched from a Digital Rebel to a Pentax K20D. I like the ability to customize the camera more to my preferences, which the K20D gives you lots of options. Also, shooting at higher ISO with SR and hand held it a nice capability. I occasionally shoot street lamp lit scenes at night at ISO 1600 around 1/8 to 1/15 sec hand held with great results. I don't miss lugging the tripod around as much. My only regret is that I didn't switch sooner.
11-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have a KM along with my K10D...happy with both of them.
11-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Another option you should consider is a K20D, still available new for ~$750.

Over the K-x you get two dials for controlling exposure (iso/aperture, iso/shutter, shutter/aperture), dedicated buttons for af and ae points, af mode and bracketing, illuminated lcd info screen and last but not least weather sealing.

You lose fps and some high iso performance compared to the K7 which is almost double the price.