Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, here's the addendum. Haha.

Harald: Yup, there is a willingness to learn on my part. This isn't my first DSLR, though, just my first Pentax, so I do have to re-learn the quirks of the system. Just wanna see if I did get a lemon. The original pictures are at home, I'll try to post the un-cropped ones later tonight.

Beej80: I threw out the evaluative metering on these ones and used spot metering. In well-lighted scenes, the K10D works great. But I was trying to see how it does in low-light, since there will be times when I take my photography there. It's just weird how the K10D doesn't want to suggest to me a shutter speed lower than 1/4th, and switching over to M mode, the meter seems to be content (EV bar at 0.0) with the 1/4th shutter speed and f/5.6 (which resulted in a dark photo at the 55mm setting of the kit lens). Also, while everyone else seems to get overexposed pictures using their manual lenses, mine starts overexposed at higher apertures and progressively gets underexposed as I switch to lower apertures. Thoughts?

Salty: Spot metering was used in both pictures. I'll see if I can find another lens to try out later tonight (other lenses I have are manual ones, and I'm getting opposite behavior to the norm here using those lenses - underexposure as opposed to overexposure).

TaoMaas: Well, I took a picture zoomed out, then re-pressed the shutter button halfway when I zoomed in. Is that the correct way to do re-metering? It's also curious that while I zoomed in, as expected, the aperture went up, but also, the shutter speed went faster instead of slower. Thoughts?

Gimbal: Hmm, maybe you have something there. I was more focused on the EV bar on the lower right. Perhaps user error may be at fault here. I can't really recall fully how my old 300D did when faced with low-light scenes, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't scared to suggest a shutter speed lower than 1/4, something the K10D seems to be wary to do (both using their respective 3.5-5.6 kit lenses). Hmm...

AndrewG NY: The brighter scene was cropped, though my judgment in cropping got skewed. Haha. I can assure you that the spot meter was smack dab in the panda's belly in the two shots. Your other comments are well thought-out and are much appreciated. Personally, I use evaluative metering mostly, and used spot metering only to see if I should have the camera fixed. No, I'm not returning the camera and switching to another brand, but I also don't want a lemon, just like any other forum member here. As a disclosure, I'm happy about my K10D and I'm not bashing here.

khardur: I guess you're right. Maybe I really have to bump up EV in low-light scenes. It's just crazy that the K10D doesn't wanna attempt to suggest a shutter speed lower than 1/4. I just wanna ascertain first if I got a lemon or not. If you guys knew what I was saying while doing the tests, you would hear me rooting for the K10 to suggest a longer shutter speed at 55mm. Haha.

pschlute: Noted. I'll try again later this evening.

little laker: I did this using purely artificial light (tests were done at midnight in my room).

Again, thanks for the thoughts and comments. Much appreciated.

I think I'll have to post in the Photos section from now on so you'll see that I actually use my camera and not just whine about it. LOL.

06-06-2007, 05:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Vizner, do you have other lenses you could test with? Maybe there is a problem with the 18-55? Also as others have suggested, try a different subject, black and white gives ALL (canon and nikon included) metering systems fits.

NaCl(and btw, ignore RH, he measures stuff to death, but never takes any photos...I doubt he knows how)H2O
Photos? Here are some of mine:-

RiceHigh's Pentax DSLR System Sample Photo Gallery

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Sample Picture Gallery
06-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a warning.

At least on my computer Rice Highs K100D Sample Pictures don't open properly in the latest Firefox (it only gives you a small window), although everything works properly in both Internet explorer and Netscape

So if your having troubles with them try switching browsers
06-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Nope, I bet.

What you see is in fact a particular character of the Pentax DSLR metering system - a very wonky metering system with poor consistency and accuracy, usually underexposure for Spot and low to very low IQ multi-segment metering as well.
Speaking of low IQ.........

It's always good to get a balanced view from Rice - puts things nicely into perspective, just like a politician during an election campaign!!

Not to mention the "come to my site for more...." advertisment.

06-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #20

The subject matter you selected for this test is extremely prone for error.

please try again with a more user friendly test subject... one with large targets of middle gray tone and even lighting.

There a several things changing between your test shots...

remember that the metering "spot" is somewhere near the center indicators, but may not be precisely aligned with your viewfinder. You may want to play around with the camera in spot metering, and pointing at a subject with a white to black transition... see if you can determine where your spot meter really is located, and how big it is

Second, the wide open aperatur eof the lens changes when you zoom in. As it zooms in it gets smaller, restricting the light available to the meter. You may be playing near the lower threshold of hte camera's capabilities. Try turning on an additional light and se eif you experience the same strange behavior.

The target subject gets bigger in the viewfinder as you zoom in, the spot may not be covering the same subject in both shots. This is easier to control with a larger, evenly lit middle tone subject.

Good luck, I find I get more useful insights when I try to learn how my camera operates, rather than try to determine if I have a lemon. I tend to find what I look for.
06-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
The subject matter you selected for this test is extremely prone for error.

please try again with a more user friendly test subject... one with large targets of middle gray tone and even lighting.

There a several things changing between your test shots...

remember that the metering "spot" is somewhere near the center indicators, but may not be precisely aligned with your viewfinder. You may want to play around with the camera in spot metering, and pointing at a subject with a white to black transition... see if you can determine where your spot meter really is located, and how big it is

Second, the wide open aperatur eof the lens changes when you zoom in. As it zooms in it gets smaller, restricting the light available to the meter. You may be playing near the lower threshold of hte camera's capabilities. Try turning on an additional light and se eif you experience the same strange behavior.

The target subject gets bigger in the viewfinder as you zoom in, the spot may not be covering the same subject in both shots. This is easier to control with a larger, evenly lit middle tone subject.

Good luck, I find I get more useful insights when I try to learn how my camera operates, rather than try to determine if I have a lemon. I tend to find what I look for.
thanks for the comment. i actually am trying to learn how to deal with the camera. maybe i'm just not that used to how Pentax does things (it's my first Pentax after all).

i think i'm getting the hang of using exposure compensation, which is good.