Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

K-7 Focus Points

Hello !

I recently upgraded from the K200D to the K-7. So far Ive had lots of fun with the K-7 but one thing I miss is the focus point setting on the K200D. Is there a way to set focus points on the K-7 without pressing the OK button first?

Also I havent quite figured out how to lock focus on the K-7 yet...

This information is probably readily available in the manual but I'd rather talk to you guys

I was slightly dissapointed with the ISO-noise levels aswell. Anything above an ISO of 800 looks pretty horrible when shooting raw.

11-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you upgrade the firmware to 1.01 or 1.02, you will gain a new custom option that allows moving the AF point in SEL mode without pressing Ok first.

As for the noise, it has been pointed out the the K-7 does absolutely no noise reduction to RAW files below ISO 3200, whereas earlier cameras did NR from as low as ISO 800 (K10D - I'm not sure where the K20D started its RAW NR). The good news is that with the 14.6MP, you can apply NR in post-processing and retain a good level of detail.
11-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
If you upgrade the firmware to 1.01 or 1.02, you will gain a new custom option that allows moving the AF point in SEL mode without pressing Ok first.

As for the noise, it has been pointed out the the K-7 does absolutely no noise reduction to RAW files below ISO 3200, whereas earlier cameras did NR from as low as ISO 800 (K10D - I'm not sure where the K20D started its RAW NR). The good news is that with the 14.6MP, you can apply NR in post-processing and retain a good level of detail.
Just a question for you:
do you presently own the K7? I am asking because I am just about to buy it and always wonder about this reported "awful" moise thing at higher ISO's on the K7. But as you said, given that there is no noise reduction to RAW files under 3200 ISO, that would certainly not be a great concern because one can always take care of that in P.P., right?
I also wonder if the K20D did NOT do any noise reduction at all to its RAW files ... would people complain the same as they do with the K7?

JP
11-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks ! That's much better

NR it is then...